Best way to collect, store, use and mail pollen?

No kidding???

First I’ve heard of that-

2 Likes
5 Likes

Well I only do female plants so it’s kinda same as males
I pick the pollen sacks off with a pair of eyebrow tweezers set them on some paper and leave it to sit on top of the grow tent for a day
Then I use the fine mesh part of my grinder to rock the pollen sacks on,you want to rub them nice and easy you don’t want the pollen sack as well in your mix

Then I just collect the pollen from the bottom of the grinder

Seen this on a YouTube video couple of years ago lol
It works well,then I just dust the ladies with a cotton earbud it’s handy if you’re a small time grower like me,it would be a pain in the ass if. You had a load of plants to do this on,I only grow 5-6 plants at a time,but this is good if you want to do female pollen,

12 Likes

I did this tonight… Dusted my female vegging Plant pre flower pistols and she stay in veg for atleast 30 more days.

6 Likes

Hey @anon98660487 I like your pollen collection idea, I’m gonna do excatly that.

Previously I would pluck off the pollen pods (usually after 1 opened and pollinated the while tent) placed them in a glass jar for several days and try to dry sift the pollen out. It’s messy and doesn’t work well enough.

So thanks for sharing your method.

2 Likes

Yes, I can confirm. I documented this on YouTube:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKadEEqRUN80VCYw9ERAfQhosq3zcqxuV

Removed a flowering branch, put in jiffy puck, and went to the male to dust it. Rooted it while it ripened 2 seeds inside the humidity dome.

9 Likes

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Whatevers and Don’t Knows…you have just received a free, free… free, free, free Lesson of the Day!!! Appreciate the wisdom in your midst, please. Class dismissed for now!! SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

13 Likes

Why would you want it to absorb moisture its mixed in with your pollens and they’ll absorb it to if any in there.

The flour is added so there’s not a big concentration of pollen going in one spot.
Makes it go further.

I dont advise the pollen in with the flour til you get ready to use the pollen then mix it in if you need.

I ill advise any of this.

6 Likes

This^^^^^ It works really well. Seal your pollen, and a closet desiccator in the gasket box with a humidity gauge, and you’re good.
:guitar:

7 Likes

It’s just a rectangle plastic container, gun safe dehumidifier from academy (plug in to recharge), and a white glass cup I stole from my wife. After I collect on the butcher paper, I tap the pollen into the glass to dry for a few days.

I was told to put the flour into the oven for a bit on a low temp to dehydrate it also. I think it was 250 for 20 minutes or something like that.

6 Likes

Cook your flour, but before you mix it, put it in the box with the pollen and the dehumidifier for a couple of days. If there’s any residual moisture left that’ll take care of it.

7 Likes

I actually did that, but thanks for adding that here buddy! I mixed it, then left for a couple days.

We will see soon how it worked.

5 Likes

I am literally running this experiment. I started it today!

4 Likes

I can’t believe there wasn’t more (some?) innuendo in this thread.

Never mind. Started writing something out and when I got to the sonicare toothbrush it all felt way too wrong :no_mouth:

6 Likes

Me too I got a male here to practice with. I have been research but the search does work like I’m used to.

4 Likes

Is there something to do if you don’t have one?
:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:
edit see above

5 Likes

Makeshift one if you can. Gasket totes aren’t expensive, but if you don’t want to buy one, tupperware or food storage containers can work too. You need some kind of dessicant. Closet dehumidifier works good ($15), bulk silica works good ($15-20).

You don’t have to spend a lot to get good results. But if you can’t get a dessicant then your best bet is probably straight into the freezer and hope for the best.

9 Likes

This thread comes at the perfect time!

I want to collect some of the Azar Kashmir pollen in the next couple weeks, and was wondering how I could do it. Last time I tried to save pollen, it molded.

I saw your setup Badger, and just ordered one of those rechargeable closet desiccant things. Gonna do same thing in a small Tupperware container and hope for the best

4 Likes

I have a sealed tote two came in the pack I got for the seeds. Closet dehumidifier ordered. Back to following. Thanks

4 Likes

I bite my tongue a couple times. :innocent:

4 Likes