Best way to collect, store, use and mail pollen?

I’ve had minor disasters trying to chuck pollen-

It’s the reason I want to try collecting pollen, FAR away from my flower room…

2 Likes

Mighty fine set up lefty. :+1:

4 Likes

I have more than a few bastard seeds that could be one of 4 dads. Too many seeds too little time.

3 Likes

What is the best way 2 seal a tent for a mini open pollination chamber. What type of filters would u use? I’ve got multiple tents in the same room. And how do u keep Temps reasonable? I’m afraid I’m gonna pollinate everything in all the tents unintentially.:anguished:

4 Likes

Holy ship! U guys r way more advanced than me.:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Wow, well sonic toothbrush you say :rofl: :rofl:
tenor (4)

4 Likes

I started to see pollen on the market a while back but not lately. I bet the failure rate was high. The way you do it and then seal it in the Mylar probably is the fool proof way for longevity.

I’ll hit you up for a link to your set up but more likely the closet deals. I stopped collecting it until I can get it under control and can get a long term system down. Actually, since the humidity is so low here, I bet most of mine is still fertile. I have some in the freezer in various small containers with rice kernels. I haven’t tried any but I doubt it’ll be viable. Some is 2 years or more.

Some males just beg you to collect it. It’s like an explosion. It’s hard not to be interested in it.

6 Likes

LOL, don’t sweat it, me too. It’s all good, we all started someplace. I will never have such a setup but it’s cool to see how others are doing it. These are the folks you and I can learn from :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There are some very easy and safe ways that only take a glass and a piece of parchment paper or foil. You just snip a small section of the end of a near flowering limb and place it in a glass of water so it hangs out over the paper and place it in a box or isolated space. Collect what it drops and use water to wash yourself off good before going around any plants. It travels on your clothes, hair, shoes. But, you don’t need anymore that a pair of scissors, a cup, and a piece of paper. Letting it dry in paper or something first is best.

6 Likes

Oh yeah!?!? Check this out and be amazed!

:joy:

Dang nice setup, lefthand. For real, that gives me goals, but this is what I started using after I talked to you. It works great for me.

I’ve even been putting seeds that I get in the mail. In there for a day before they get secured into the stash. I figure even though I use a dessicant pack in the fridge, the less moisture going in, the better.

Edit: @GMan I just take a large piece of wax paper, split it, and pull the slit around the stem. Throw a piece of tape on it, and just pull the paper off, fold, and tap on the cup. Simple solutions are sometimes best.

15 Likes

:+1: that works my man! Start somewhere, and improve as you go. If you start collecting pollen every grow like I do, then spending a few extra bucks might start to seem worth it. But what you got going already does the trick.

I also cut holes and made gaskets that seal kitchen rubber gloves into a sterilite box for dry environment packaging. But I made the holes too small and my hands don’t fit. I got some new gloves though, I just need to make modifications. That’s getting a little extreme though. :joy: But it’s the ultimate. I’ll get some pictures of that too.

12 Likes

Takes me back to my spore collecting days with the plywood box and plexiglass with kitchen gloves ductaped to flex ducting :+1:

5 Likes

Ah cool idea! Yea that’s pretty similar to what I was trying to get going.

3 Likes

I think it’s all just really cool. That is a really interesting looking setup you got. I am a bit of a tech guy so I love machines. I say now I will never get to the point where I need such a fancy rig but than again I have 11 stand up arcade games I own and rebuilt. I would have said that would never happen either :slight_smile: I tend to get into things so who knows. For now I will start with the Badger setup and work from there.

8 Likes

I’ve used the glass of water and parchment paper trick to collect pollen-

It works, but I want to learn more :smiley:

2 Likes

I collect by putting the males sideways over newspaper.

Like this:

Works well.

Don’t know too much about storing it but I may have some in the freezer I’ve forgotten about.

All the best

14 Likes

For some reason… this came to mind when reading that

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s good if you have a male but only want to get seeds off of one limb of the female. It gives you plenty without much fuss. You only need enough to coat a paintbrush, Q-Tip, etc. peace

Oh, and no fans, and be mindful of your ventilation system. HEPA filters if using tents that vent out… or in, depending.

4 Likes

I’m sure a sonic screwdriver could do an even better job! :joy:

6 Likes

Someone told me to mix flour with the pollen, before you freeze it?

Not sure why…

1 Like