Best ways to dry and cure

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks humidity packs rob terpenes! Over dried herb? Just add a couple fan leaves to the jar with a hygrometer until 62% RH.

7 Likes

@Blowingupjake perhaps the 55 or 58% would better serve your strain.

3 Likes

I’d use the bovedas to make over dry buds more palatable for sure.
I’m a dry trim kinda guy and tend to cure my Large buds with a moisture similar to pipe tobacco.
Burns slow, keeps a cherry, lots of flavor.
My mids get a bit drier for bongs and steam rollers with that white ash quick burn,
larf gets the crispy dugout grade treatment.

5 Likes

One of my jars is starting to get the skunk smell bk but the other one is not tbh I can’t really say wit it smells like but it isn’t skunk#1 that’s for sure gonna try smoke a joint of it tomorrow see wot it’s like

i’ve heard from several places it will take around 72 hours to reach target humidity. in this test both packs caused a spike in humidity in the 1st day up to 80% and slowly brought them back down. it took about 3 days to reach 62% for boveda and 1 day longer for integra boost. integra boosts take a bit longer to work but also last longer. i’ve never used boveda, integra boost definitely added an odd smell for me. i believe they work differently, one being a gel and the other not? not sure

this test uses integra boost to raise the humidity in 1 jar and lower the humidity in a 2nd jar, and both jars take almost 96 hours to reach 62% humidity.

2 Likes

More packs regulate humidity more easily.

Right guys my buds have been curing for ten days now burping jars every other day smell has improved and temp is 19 and RH is 62 % that’s with using a boveda pack so my question is should I seal jars and not burp anymore??

3 Likes

These buds should be done after hanging dry and then burped in a jar for 10 days.

Sealing now would probably be OK!

Vacuum Seal is always a nice touch.

2 Likes

Should I remove the boveda pack and the just seal and leave alone in cool dark place?

Yes + 17 Characters!

2 Likes

Now this is a sweet thread!

1 Like

I am just about at this point now and have to go on a trip for a week. Should I put my buds in sealed glass jars until I get home and can burp them or is there something that would be better to do?

1 Like

Yes do it and leave :slight_smile: they get a pretty wet in this jars so you have to open them when you get Back. My experince is that the buds develop a better smell when let like this at the beggining of the cure.

I also found out another thing and I would like to know your oppinion guys. When I harvest I usually pack the buds in bags. 15g each with boveda packs. I put all of them in to the plastic container and open it once a few days to let fresh air in. But! I also leave one pack Under my table and use it Everyday for smoking and Rolling joints. So I pretty much open and close this one bag a few Times a day. The interesting thing is that after a 5-7 days the weed in this bag smells waaaaaay better than the weed in the rest of the bags I open only once a few days. So my thery is that for best starting cure its better to have smaller portions and open it atleast a 4 Times a day for at least a week and then to pack them pernametly and dont open it for few weeks. That seems to work best for me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I know this was an old thread. I wanted to pitch something your way. I grew an auto out. It was far from the light under other plant canopy. I wet trimmed what little was on it. It came out looser than I hoped so I hung dry 4 days. Trimmed then jarred. They still have a hey smell but it never had a terrible aroma. Just cat piss kinda. My question is will the hey smell dissipate over a long slow cure. I don’t have a need or want to fast dry for the sake of smoke. Thanks for your time.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard this before! Is it a commonly held opinion? I imagined the packs helped keep RH at an ideal curing humidity.

2 Likes

I have hundreds of Boveda packs, but do not like the 62, too wet for me, I use 54’s.
I NEVER cure with them in the jars, use them for storage of already cured Bud.

Plants always hang WHOLE, only remove “bad” leaf’s if any. Hang on a string in bedroom, with the ceiling fan on low or medium. I NEVER wet trim, not my style.

Fucking hot n Humid here…best temps I can realistically get in the summer is 74 0r 75 . They hang for 10-14 days, until branch’s “crack” when bent, (not break) and buds will “snap” of main stem easily. Humidity is about 60-62 % and stays about there…90 % outside .

I then trim close, and jar without packs. I open to breath for a few minutes to an hour every day for a week or so, or until the bud feels bout “right” .

They then get put up, and maybe opened once a week or so. Once the Bud starts to get “crispy” in the jars, THEN I ADD IN THE 54% PACKS.

I find the"hay smell" is usually from drying the Bud too much, getting it too dry, which stops the curing process. Thinking anything under 50 or so would probably cause that, but have not experimented to find out.

Nasty or poor smells can also come from your nutes, of if the plant was PUSHED too hard in flower and is loaded up with crap. I do not mean NOT FLUSHED, I mean feed too much during whole flower cycle…flush or no flush, my Bud with the nutes I use tastes about the same. I now only reduce the nute level to 1/2 to 1/4 instead of “flushing” .

People who use too much N in flower also have nasty or poor tasting Bud…Been experimenting with that, and MY PLANTS preform much better with 1/2/2 or 1/3/2, or 0/2/2 in flower, and taste better too.

Lots of ways to skin a cat it appears…lol!

12 Likes

I’ve also gotten a cat piss / ammonia kinda smell from jarring it before it was dry enough, which sounds like may be the case if you only dried for 4 days (and if that is the case, no the smell won’t come back, I used it all for BHO and it still tasted like trash). now I jar mine up when all the little stems snap and the main colas are dry and crispy outside but still a lil moisture in main stem then jarred with cheap hygrometers

5 Likes

Just did a small experiment and will see when I do a smoke test side by side but have some jars from August trim in storage and now just jarred some of the same stuff that was cut at the same time but left hanging until now.

10 Likes

I’m still new to growing and have a question pertaining to my last crop.

I started the flush 2+ weeks before harvest. I flushed with straight water and measured the runoff until I got less than 150 PPM. The plants, Purple Punch, experienced a great fade at the end before I pulled them. They hung with the largest fan leaves removed but on the branch for about a week. I wanted longer but we had a string of several days of higher than normal temps and my dry room, the grow tent, was 80 deg during the day. I jarred the bud at 64-67 percent humidity and cured it for 8 weeks. I thought I did everything right but the smoke turned out very harsh. It is a kick ass high and smells and tastes good, just leaves my throat raspy. What did I do wrong?

3 Likes

Could just be the strain. Have you grown out any other strains?

1 Like