Bez's 2X2 Blurple, COB, and Fluorescent Closet Grow

Had some fun a week or so ago with a, “little one”, that fell from a pollinated stalk (so seed is WW X AK-48). Need a male for pollen so kinda hope it’s a male (my last ones taken like this have been males).

Pics show transplant about a week or so ago and current pic this morning.

also, few pics of AK-48 middle of week 9 and Maui few days into week 5.

6 Likes

Oh my bad bro that ak48 looks off the hook :+1:hope that Maui likes her new place​:wink:

1 Like

Re-added days and today is only day 64 for AK-48. Will chop tomorrow before lights come on. Nice solid 10%+ amber trichs. Very frosty…pics do not do justice.

Just with the naked eye can see what looks like patches of snow on some buds.

Also, have AK-48 X White Widow seedlings, few Mosca special mix freebie mystery seeds, and one Ice at this time. Hopefully more Ice to pop.

But first some parting pics of AK-48.

6 Likes

Just a few update pics of where current closet grow is at. Tossed runt AK-48 so only have two in grow closet now…“Maui big pot”, at day 38 (middle of week 6 over 3 feet tall!) and other is the last of the Maui clones placed in 12/12 on 7/10 (just few days ago).

Had two more, “Ice”, pop this morning in paper towel and another broke soil surface this morning so have at least two, “Ice”, and possibly four. Hope at least one is male!

Chopped pic of AK and will post smoke review with some partially cured bud pics eventually.

3 Likes

hello, a very interesting crop, which of the two LEDs do you think stimulates more flowering? the cob cxb or the osram lamp and believe? very nice plants, congratulations.

Hi Guru, I’m sorry for such a late response but vacation time happened and am back now.

I have only had the blurple now since last December and the COB for just under 3 months now so hard to determine at this point which one I feel is better.

Also, in a 2 X 2 space gonna have much overlap (especially now that I have them so close together…see pics). I will say that IMO the blurple adds more foliage growth (more bushy) than just white light. This is based upon my observation from using many large 9"-11" CFL’s from 2700K up to 6500K and then adding a, “Kind”, blurple flower light bar and seeing immediate difference in leaf growth (more bushy). It’s why I decided to splurge for a good blurple.

So I’m convinced that blurple adds to the available spectrum given off by so called, “white light” even though I would consider 6500K blue and 2700K yellow/red and probably 5000K would be white I guess but they call em all white.

My COB is 3500K and believe the red in blurple (plus I hang an 11" 2700K) gives me enough far end plus the blurple had IR and UV which may help finish faster.

I’m convinced the best spectrum can be achieved by using both, “white”, and “blurple”, regardless if the, “white”, source is HPS, MH, or LED COB.

Most of the current large Maui (update pics following this post) are grown exclusively under the 175 Watt Cob with partial blurple overlap because had AK-48 taking up most of blurple until just a week or so ago. I use elastomeric paint (best reflective available…better than mylar etc.) so get much side light from reflection in a 2 X 2 space.

The blurple only draws 168 watts and buds grown from directly under (approx 17" from canopy with decent penetration) were very dense and compact but the blurple was four times the price of the cob.

If/when I expand or just need another light kinda looking at QB (quantum boards) next time but will always fly a blurple even if not my main light just because I believe it adds also to resin site production (along with the bushy effect).

2 Likes

Maui update day 46 (approx 6 1/2 weeks). Overfed curly leaves up! Darn! Too much bloom booster and dolomite lime as believe Phosphorus is the culprit as Nitrogen overfed would be tips hook down. And with week and a half to go (this a clone of prior Maui that finished at end of 8 weeks) this Maui also has too much nitrogen (leaves too dark)…not enough fade!

So kinda bad timing on nutes apparently but other than that we be jamming!

Also, pic of last Maui clone in 2nd week 12/12.

5 Likes

I thought I would throw this little guide in to help any others that found themselves in similar situation. Unfortunately, some seedbanks sell old seeds and when that happens your germination rate may be determined by how much you help the little ones along.

I had some obviously old seeds when only a few out of 10 would even pop tap roots in a paper towel. Actually two out of ten, “Crystal”, and four out of ten, “Ice”.

I save and use rainwater for my seeded paper towel and always transfer seed with tap root to small cup with hole in soil about 1/4" to half inch depending upon length of taproot without touching taproot.

Oftentimes it seems on old seeds that some use all available energy/fuel? to push out the tap root and got nothing left to push seed too surface once in soil and if seed sits there very long with tap root not doing anything then, “damping off” can begin to occur rapidly.

This is when after a few days may have to dig down with a toothpick carefully to expose a seed head to light. Careful not to touch the actual seed head! When the seed head is exposed to light it will usually begin to grow up towards the light.

Old seeds that break the soil on time (plus those one has to help break surface) often won’t shed the seed hull! They just stay kinda bent over and damping off (and death will soon follow).

At this point I mist the seed head lightly and let water suck up in and around the partially separated hull. Then let that sit for say 10 minutes and lightly mist again.

Then you can take your toothpick and hook it under where the seed hull is separated and carefully tug to open the hull. I have had good luck with two toothpicks (one in each hand) and separating the hull by pulling it apart from two directions at same time.

Then usually the cotyledons (first leaves) are stuck together at tip by, “small round rust colored thing”!?!? I have scrubbed these off with misting and toothpick but have found the easiest way (at least for me) is to use my fingernail. I have even countless times pinched off much of the cotyledons and as long as they open (even if stuck at angle) and 1st true leaves tips show up then you got it.

On one shown in pic I supported one side of seedling with finger with one hand while I pinched off rust dot with finger nail on other hand so as to prevent shocking.

If the cotyledons don’t open then fluid will rapidly rot between cotyledons and damping off occurs and dies but if you can get the cotyledons open (even if one gone and only part of other one) and tiny tips show up in there then you got it.

All of my seedlings (in post after this one except the two WW X AK-48) were done this way to some extent or another. Best I had was two out of the 6 actually penetrated the soil surface but then had to remove hulls (for me it’s obvious after some hours after breaking surface if gonna shed hull or not by itself). Problem is the longer they sit with partial hull and cotyledons clamped together the more likely some form of damping off will occur. Certainly can’t leave em more than a day with seed hull still attached. The one in pic had half the hull literally stuck to cotyledons (definitely not normal).

4 Likes

The seedlings are coming the seedlings are coming! Will I be collecting pollen? Will I have some females? Mutants? Runts?

5 Likes

AK-48 smoke report/review:

I’m little early as cured bud barely smoke-able yet but (of course left some out to dry slightly faster) and the taste is slightly skunky with a kinda antiseptic aftertaste… Afghani ? Researched Afghan strain and saw most comes from Afghanistan but was brought to the U.S. in the 1970’s from Holland so wonder who brought it to southern Mexico because in 1978 I saw it myself growing beside the road. Also, saw Mexican sativa further North.

Oh well, very strange!

Considering this strain is Afghani, Colombian, Mexican, and Thai then one would think it would be very cerebral and one would be more than correct in that assumption. AK-48 is very cerebral in an almost supernatural way. Not as good as astral travel but will take you to the brink.

Find myself sitting there after only a puff or two just holding my pipe wondering what just happened! Then I set the pipe down!

If you like space trucking and catching incoming from that great universal creative river then good stuff for you. If you need to actually do anything or get anything done then better wait on this one. First phase actually kinda up and heady followed by casual couch/space-out lock.

I like it a lot!

Funny the light skunk taste almost reminds me of some serious dank Humboldt county smoked back in early 80’s when I was in the region. But this is very light but very sweet also like Humbolt.

5 Likes

Just for fun update pics…gonna transplant a few before next update. Looks like maybe a few mutants but time will tell. The largest, “Ice”, and both, “WW X AK-48”, have been topped and hope to top once more before they go into 12/12 in a few weeks. Few eye candy pics of Maui week 7.

4 Likes

last of seedling progression pics before some major transplanting. The two AK-48 are a week (and more) ahead of other clones and have both been topped twice (initial stalk plus two out-shoots leaving for four main colas…and all will be topped same eventually) and will go into 12/12 soon. The largest of “Ice”, and “Crystal”, clones have a few weeks yet to 12/12.

3 Likes

Update day 54 of Maui, “big pot”. Had an incident like four days ago. Came in morning to check grow and found my largest cola (over 2 foot) laying horizontal resting on edge of pot. Pulled over almost whole plant.

I had tied long ago to prevent just this kind of thing (always have to tie em for weighty flailing). How I have always tied em was just a string wrapped around entire plant pulling colas in towards center.

Unfortunately, the string actually snipped a small bud and slipped down allowing for colas to fall. I immediately turned pot so cola could rest against shop light. I didn’t see a crack but had to place brick to support to keep plant upright. Seems to have recovered but sure I lost some days due to stress which sucks this close to harvest as the mother and other clones finished at 8 weeks.

6 Likes

Day 57 chop (actually 4 days ago), “Big Pot” Maui some before/after parting shots. Chopped before lights on and hung 24hr in dark upside down before trimming (seems more crystals show up that way). Then trimmed hung for 2 more days.

6 Likes

Nice harvest👍way to go✌

Tried and true method of killer butter (been doing same way for 20 years). Gonna buy some coconut oil someday and try that. Sometimes I use an ounce of bud for one 1/2 cup stick of butter (or two 1/4 sticks) and when finished a half a tablespoon can’t walk and have to lay down in bed for spins so watch it on this as less butter greater concentration with greater effects.

I have always just washed my butter down with cool water. I just put in mouth and let melt a little (try not to breath though mouth until washed down) and wash it down. Taste is terrible IMO and always has been so if one breaths through mouth in middle before washed down then gag reflex can kick in.

I like it this way as easy (just paused here and went and had some…he he). Now one could put in capsules or even bake with it but the teaspoon worth I just took (and only trim) will zoom me up for good 2-3 hours followed by serious couch lock and very possible nap time around 4-5 hours from now.

I use a paint strainer bag (purchased at most hardware and paint stores). I have used 1 gal size and 5 gal size. Current pics are of a 5 gal size and costs like a couple of bucks for three.

I take the trim and put on cookie sheet and heat to 240 degrees (called decarboxylation) to bring out maximum potency and effect (also drys the fresh weed to break down). Just watch as don’t want to burn your weed!

Next I put weed in the strainer bag and place in pot with melted butter and boil/simmer for 7 hours. Many would say that don’t need to boil that long but actually I used to boil it for 9-10 hours and perhaps they would be right. I don’t know where the cut off is but back in the old days longer was better. Maybe 2-4 hours would work? Never tried! Know this 7 hours works though!

I can close cover with bag inside but still add some water twice. Then I pour into glass (seems to stick less than plastic) and leave in fridge overnight. The butter floats to top and am left with nice butter cake. Nice thing I like about butter is can do fairly small amount quickly and catch a good buzz and no smell if I have to be around people. So when in a hurry can come in handy.

You will know it’s good butter if you get that little paranoid feeling at first (like I am right now…lol) but knowing a strong dose of THC can do this I can easily talk myself down and know it will pass in usually within a half hour or so (strain can make a difference here…mine sativa dom).

4 Likes

Thanks Hoodini…looking forward to something a little more skunky (AK is somewhat but this upcoming, “ICE”, looks nice and skunky).

Update on seedlings and last Maui clone (4th week).

Both AK-48 turned out male so kept better phenotype for pollen collection and placed 1st Ice into 12/12 after about 3 1/2 weeks of 24hr veg. Hasn’t shown sex yet. Has three main colas (went to top again and saw three and left it) so height may be issue so early 12/12 should keep it shorter.

Maui appears to be a runt (extra long veg steal away stretch?). First time I have vegged longer than 30 days. May make into butter or even pollinate with WW X AK-48 from male if can get some pollen quick.

Depends also on how many males/females have in veg cabinet.

First pic of Maui with two AK-48 and one on right gone (was the one I gathered from edge of pot) as picked other AK with shorter fatter leaves.

5 Likes

Update:

Not much really to update as slow progression towards sexing.

I have started today to collect pollen from, “WW X AK-48” this morning. Left male in flower chamber for first opening of few sacs to pollinate Maui (little late but will keep 4 weeks…even slightly past normal chop date) but worth it to me as have enough Maui to smoke (even used an oz of bud for butter…yum yum…I can fly like an eagle) and would love to see a, “WW X AK-48 X Maui”, especially since the Maui is high yield and the AK is low yield (the AK my fav now as just wow).

My process is after 30 day 24hr veg I place in 24hr dark to jump start sexing. The pics of closet show an, “Ice”, (far left) after more than a week (plus 24hr dark) and has no preflowers. The other two, “Ice”, have had 24hr dark and about 3 days 12/12.

Other pic of utility closet shows, “Crystal and Ice”, just placed in 24hr dark. Strange…20 years ago this same process would always show sex within two days of 24 dark after 24hr light for 30 days.

Other pic shows Male, “WW X AK-48”, and my pollen collection. I used to set up underneath and use creased foil etc. and cut and lean over sheet of paper etc. but now I just take my container and place under individual sacs and thump stalk. Also, dump pollen off of leaves into container. After four or five days I will have collected plenty to last me next 5-6 months.

When collecting pollen always get any leaf/sac debris out and leave cap loose initially and I place a rice to help absorb moisture as any moisture will degrade viability of pollen.

My antique apothecary jars look even cooler filled with bud :grin:

Left side AK and middle jar is Maui, “big pot”, and right side Maui, “two”, chop some months back.

7 Likes

“Houston we have a problem”!

“Mutants on the horizon”!

Actually, not so bad but both, “Crystal” show signs of mutation. Check out the skinny sativa dom pheno…weird considering, “Crystal”, only supposed to be 30% sativa.

On the upside my four, “Ice”, doing good (one with slight mutation) and one has showed female (three main colas just by chance) and has been transplanted into 5 gal bucket.

So, waiting on 5 more to show sex.

7 Likes

Update: “Male City”

Which isn’t all bad…already decided if both crystal, “one mutated sativa crystal hasn’t shown yet” are male works for me. Rather have the pollen than one female…but that’s just me as like to chuck pollen!

So, we now have one, “Crystal”, male and one not showing yet (has preflowers so soon). Found 2nd, “Ice”, male this morning. So, that makes two of four, “Ice”, male (3rd highly suspect but need additional time) and fourth, “Ice”, is female and shooting up it’s 3 main colas now during stretch. Can actually push em some with watering during stretch.

So, I am very glad to have at least one female, “Ice”, as now will have my own, “Ice”, seeds from now on.

If sativa mutant, “Crystal”, is female then I will cross it with my, “Crystal”, male…otherwise not sure if I want the pollen from a mutated sativa.

Although, never know it could be that super strain pheno spinoff that’s gonna rock the planet. Nature does weird stuff sometimes!

Finished collecting pollen this morning on, “WW X Ak-48”, and chopped up and down the toilet (never throw weed away in trash…can collectors etc.). Pic of pollen slightly less than have now as collected several times since pic.

So now have, one, “Crystal”, and two, “Ice”, under back bathroom sink during dark cycle and put in now empty veg cab at night. Definitely I’m little rough on my males but they not gonna live long and they pretty tough.

And lastly, check pics of my runt, “seeded”, Maui. Even as a small runt weighty flailing made it fall to side. Didn’t break anything but never would have thought but after closer inspection I see it’s a mutant with combined buds growing together. Like two and three buds congealed into one bud. Very strange! Can see shine/glisten from seeds forming. By middle of next month will have some, “WW X AK-48 X Maui” seeds so should be fun.

5 Likes