Black Triangle, Hendrix Haze, and Purple Pakistani Chitral- Bodhi Seeds and Seattle Chronic Seeds

Have some Black Triangle from Bodhi Seeds (thanks to @minitiger for the hookup!) and Hendrix Haze from Seattle Chronic Seeds going indoors this round. Plants were in the vegetative stage for 6 weeks or so but I didn’t really keep track.

I popped 6 Hendrix Haze and 4 Black Triangle and ended up with 2 BT females and 4 Hendrix Haze females (hopefully) I got tired of keeping them going in their 2 gallon pots so transplanted them to the raised bed before they were all fully sexed, may have to cull a Hendrix Haze male or two but they are definitely late bloomers if that’s the case.

The Purple Pakistani Chitral Kush is from Bodhi Seeds/Nierika Seed Trust and I only have one female going outdoors. This is a strain that I have been wanting to grow for a long time and it was offered as a Bodhi freebie for awhile last year so I bought more seeds, mainly for the freebie PCK.

I started 4 seeds in early April and ended up with one female, there was a really beautiful purple male that I should have taken a few pics of but I culled them all so that’s that. This is definitely a strain that I will be preserving though in the next year or so and I have 10 seeds left so I should be able to preserve a fairly diverse population.

Anyway the PCK is notoriously very slow in the vegetative stage being that it is an inbred line, but it is still chugging along. I have had an issue growing outdoors the last few years in regards to botrytis (bud rot) in that my outdoor plants are usually covered by the 5th week of flower or so and at that point, there is no getting past the rot, the plants are essentially done and I have to destroy them. PCK is supposed to be highly resistant to bud rot so fingers crossed that this one makes it to the finish line!

Now I know, pics or it didn’t happen so without further ado, here we go.

Two Black Triangle on the right and 4 Hendrix Haze on the left, this is the first day of flower.

Purple Pakistani Chitral growing in a half wine barrel with automated irrigation, only been feeding with microbes once a week in hopes of preventing botrytis.

Random pics from around the garden:

Four tomato plants that will be trellised up to create a green wall of vines and tomatoes

Two of the biggest pepper plants in the garden thus far, a Habanero on the left and a Fresno chili on the right.

Cannabis isn’t the only medicinal flower that is growing around here:

Chamomile flowers, great for use in tea as well as skin care and body products.

Calendula flowers, a very medicinal flower with sticky resin, great for skin issues and ailments when used in topical applications.

Flowering artichoke with a pollinating insect doing what it does.

Black Beauty poppy, kind of a tough picture with the stark light but a cool flower nonetheless.

Alright, that’s it from in and around the garden for now, will keep you posted on the comings and goings as time goes on, have fun growing all!

41 Likes

Beautiful initial post! It’s so colorful and fun to scroll through!

It’s interesting, the chamomile is so much taller than what I’m familiar with. I’ve lived in CA, OR, WA and B.C., and wonder, rhetorically, if what you have is a different variety.

I think the photo of the PPChitral is particularly attractive. :+1:

9 Likes

Interested to see how it turn out

2 Likes

Looking great in there buddy!
Lots of color and life in your garden…
Best wishes on your grows and I’ll be hopping in for the ride…:flying_saucer::wink::v:t3:

1 Like

Beautiful garden!

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking that that PCK might be bud rot-resistant. One would hope, anyway…

That Hendrix Haze sounds interesting, too, just looked it up to see what it even was haha. So you’re expecting a relatively high amount of CBD with that hybrid?

Thanks for tagging me, pretty interested to see what you think of the Black Triangle. Just keep an eye out for sacs. I don’t think it was the BT’s that hermed when I grew those out, pretty sure it was either the Mexican Melons or the Lucky Dog stuff I grew that same round, but something did herm and seeded the fuck out of everything, so… Be careful haha.

The “regular” garden looks gorgeous, too. Those flowers are beautiful.

8 Likes

Very nice! Awesome post, can’t wait to watch the show @ElGalloBlanco :facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

Awesome line up! Black Triangle and Hendrix Haze, definitely intrigued to watch what those are about. Sounds unique and I’m all about the unique fire. Here’s to a stellar grow :facepunch::+1:

2 Likes

Great shots, love your setup. Always nice to see non-cannabis plants as well - following for sure! Didn’t know minitiger was giving out valuable seeds I might have to make a compelling message begging for some.

joking

7 Likes

Lots of nice healthy looking plants and a sweet indoor bed. Nice stuff! Hope those genetics workout in regards to the rot as well. Best of luck!

2 Likes

German chamomile is a larger and branchier annual whereas roman chamomile is a creeping perennial ground cover.

German chamomile (Matricaria recutita) is a self-seeding annual in the Midwest. It grows from 6 inches to 2 feet tall. The leaves are ferny and delicate, and it has a typical aster flower, with a yellow disc in the middle surrounded by evenly spaced white florets. The flower smells like apples, and the essential oil derived from the yellow and white flowers of this plant is blue due to high levels of azulene.

Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) is typically grown as a perennial, though it likes a warmer climate than I can give it here in Ohio. I’ve had it stay around for some winters—but not the really bitter ones. It is hardy to zone 5 and is a creeper, only growing to about 3 to 4 inches high. The leaves tend to be thicker and more substantial than those of German chamomile, and in my experience, so are the flowers.

from German Chamomile Vs. Roman Chamomile: What’s The Difference? - Hobby Farms

8 Likes

Thank you so much and I am really excited about the Purple PCK as well! Hope she holds up and puts on a show for all of us!

Yeah, @syzygy made a good post and reference to the differences below, the photo is a bed of annual or German types of chamomile, I think we grew three different varieties this season, Zloty Lan and Bodegold are two of the types for sure.

We do have some Roman perennial chamomile (the low, sprawling type) growing as well but we have those along the borders of our garden space. Glad you enjoyed the initial post.

Thanks @Naptown916 @iceman and @Tejas for following along as well!

11 Likes

Yeah it’s supposed to be CBD dominant but I think the ratios can vary, I am expecting a 1:1 THC:CBD ratio on average. I saw some of the cannabinoid tests from Seattle Chronic for the Hendrix Haze and they showed around 5% THC if I remember correctly, don’t remember the other cannabinoid percentages though?

I’ll keep that in mind although I usually don’t get through a harvest without finding a seed or two in my flower afterwards :rofl: But definitely not seeded out… That would suck, haha.

Thank you, I hope to throw some “regular” garden updates in here and there as things progress, got all kinds of shit growing everywhere, haha.

Glad to have you around for this one!

Absolutely! I know Black Triangle has been pretty well logged throughout the interwebs but I am really stoked nonetheless. The Hendrix Haze on the other hand, i haven’t seen much on and I am really excited to see what comes of them, get some of that mixed cannabinoid goodness.

Haha, I think they actually fell out of his seed stash when he was looking through it at some point and he couldn’t fit the pack back in because if was too full, haha.

Definitely not the photographer that you are, that much is for sure and yeah, I am all about growing all kinds of things so will have plenty of non-cannanbis plants to show throughout the season, glad to have you along.

Thank you!

8 Likes

What a gorgeous garden! Artichokes are almost more fun to flower out than eat, as they look so cool! Can’t wait to see your outdoor? Do you have anyhting else going other than the PCK? Hope you are getting some more sun these days. I know down south it’s finally come out!

6 Likes

I’ve only ever grown one Fresno type pepper before but it’s probably one of my favorite hot peppers that I’ve tried. Not a huge hot pepper person but I like mildly hot peppers. It had much more flavor than a jalepeno at around the same scoville rating I believe. Was a AAS winner from JohnnySeeds ‘flaming-flare’.

Do you know what variety you’re growing?

7 Likes

Thanks a lot Greasy! That’s for sure about the chokes, we always leave a few for the pollinators to have fun with. Although we did harvest and eat probably close to 30 artichokes this spring off of 4 plants!

Thankfully the sun is finally here and we got a high of 67 degrees today :rofl: but it’s supposed to get into the low 70’s in the next few days so that’s about right for here! Unfortunately I only popped 4 PCK for outdoors with the intention of running two females if the ratios went that direction, however, only had one female. I do have some autoflowers going that I am messing around with outdoors but nothing else photoperiod wise.

Honestly, I have been pretty bummed with the issues outdoors the last few years after never having much of an issue the years previous? I wanted a more hands off outdoor grow so I didn’t spend so much time watering/feeding etc. only to have to trash the plants. Having the PCK in the half wine barrel with automated drip irrigation is great as watering takes none of my time.

I am watering 1 gallon of microbes on the plant once a week in hopes of combating/preventing the botrytis from setting in. I have heard that trichoderma harzianum works well as a biofungicide so I found a mix with a heavy amount of those, we will see. May just break down and use Regalia going forward, especially if I have automated watering and just add a gallon or so to each plant once a week, that’s not too bad.

I am the same, I don’t like really hot peppers so why am I growing Habaneros… I have no idea, haha. Even hot chilis like jalapenos, serranos, or even hatch chilis I like to let ripen on the plant and harvest once they are red, they seem to be much more sweet and complex in flavor as opposed to when taken green. That may be why you liked the Fresno more as well as they are typically harvested when red, unless of course you took them when they were green?

That sounds like a good one! These two plants were actually just from the nursery so I don’t know the specific variety exactly. That’s also why they are the biggest in the garden, I can get a 8-10 inch pepper seedling from the nursery while the ones I started from seed are still half that size (peppers take forever to get going).

I have some Black Magic jalapenos, Bastan poblanos, Aji Rico, and a Hatch chile that I started from seed but they are a bit smaller. With it starting to heat up outside I noticed the peppers starting to grow a bit more than they were.

Fermented hot sauce is a really great way to preserve and use hotter chilis, just takes a little bit to do the job and your food can be as spicy or not depending on how much you dollop on there.

10 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been known to give away a pack or three :wink:… Best time to hit me up is when I’m drunk, so any time between 8am and 11pm, pretty much haha!

In all seriousness, blanco was interested in those Black Triangles and I really was not a fan of the smoke from the two I grew, probably wasn’t gonna grow them again, might as well give them to somebody who will. And I know you were joking, but if you actually ARE interested in and looking for something, you can hit me up.

And that only goes for syzygy and anybody else I “know,” just so we’re all clear. I don’t want some random asshole stumbling across this thread, seeing this post and hitting me up haha. Never gonna happen.

That’s what I was thinking, too. Make a hot sauce and then just add a drop or two to whatever you wanna liven up. An old chef friend of mine that I used to live with had TONS of different crazy-hot hot sauces, it was super-fun going through them and adding random ones to whatever I was cooking. Burned the shit outta my mouth more than a few times. But I like spicy food, so…

10 Likes

Haha, you are too funny!

It’s funny cause I enjoy the burn from wasabi and the endorphin rush afterwards but I don’t get the same reaction when I eat hot chilis as much. But I like making fermented hot sauce more than a regular hot sauce because it’s just chilis that are essentially preserved in a salt brine, whereas regular hot sauce has a bunch of vinegar in it for the preservative which changes the flavor.

For anyone interested in a very basic fermented hot sauce recipe, fill a clean jar with cut up chilis and couple garlic cloves, you don’t need to go crazy with the chopping at this point, just quarter them or cut them in half depending on chili size but cut off the stem end.

Next, make a salt water brine (2 cups of water to 1 tablespoon of sea salt, which can also be slightly heated over the stove top until the salt fully dissolves but be sure that it cools down before pouring over peppers) and pour it over the chilis until they are completely covered in the brine. Then us a ferment weight to keep the chilis submerged in the brine or a fermentation lid to cover the jar. If the chilis or garlic are sticking out of the brine and in contact with the air, they will mold.

Let sit and ferment for 2 weeks before straining out the peppers from the brine being sure to save the brine for now. Now add your peppers to a blender and add a small amount of brine to the blender. Continue to blend and add more brine until you reach your desired consistency and taste. The more brine you add the more runny and salty your hot sauce will be.

From there just pour your fermented hot sauce into a jar or container with a lid and store in the refrigerator. The hot sauce will last for a year at least but likely much longer than that, the flavor will continue to develop as the ferment ages as well.

Anyway, for the TLDR folks, it’s an easy to make fermented hot sauce recipe.

12 Likes

I may try this. I’m assuming you’re not coring the peppers, right? Just throwing everything into the fermenting jar, seeds and all?

5 Likes

will have to checks your inventory against strainly values first ! Maybe I can find something to add to my retirement plan

retirement plan :

haha but seriously I saw someone listing an incomplete pack of Black Triangle a week or 2 ago on strainly for 45$ + shipping. Funny thing though at the time you could get a NEW unopened pack from shoe for 40$ + shipping…

Thankfully it’s still listed and no-one has bought it. Always seemed puzzling to me when people describe themselves as collectors on that site… If they’re passionate collectors then what are they doing selling off their (incomplete and opened) collection?

I think this is common with people not allowing peppers to fully ripen for sure, including sweet peppers. Often times when I’ve seen jalepenos turn red they are turning black inside though. Not sure if it’s a cultural problem or what.

I have had red jalepenos before though and the Flare is noticeably sweeter with a stronger flavor on average. It’s a bit hotter than most jalepenos too, but not inedible. For me serranos and cayennes are a bit too hot unless dilluted somehow…

an exceptional pepper that was sweeter tasting than similar Fresno types and consistently produced larger fruits and more peppers per plant. Yet another AAS Winner that culinary gardeners should consider for their kitchen gardens.

A more experienced gardening friend has convinced me that winning an all american award is of value and not entirely meaningless. I assumed it was all hype like a Cannabis Cup award or something like that.

Pickling and fermenting peppers are both good ways to preserve, I need to get back into that. Never tried a fermented hot-sauce that sounds like a good idea!

7 Likes