Black Tuna Coop Seedrun

in BC lowermainland/sunshine coast/vancouver island there was an organized group buying crops and also growing crops and then packaging the premium flower in fish cans.
We used to get these from a longshoreman friend starting in around 2006. There was Tuna , Skywalker and rockstar. My guess years later is that the flower in the ones called Tuna were actually something from the BC Pink kush line or a predecessor in the line.
Black Tuna… at least the one cut I held was the cut from the med community cash croppers and was called the Tilray cut. I had hoped it would be similar to the Tuna in those fish cans but it was not the same flavors. I got that cut in 2016 and could probably get it back if I put some feelers out.
I can’t wait to see what comes out of these seeds because if they are from or directly related to the original seed lot (5 star organics) … this is gonna be awesome hehe.
Reading @TopShelfTrees1 breakdown on how he aquired them makes me believe they would be unrelated to any Fgens I did of the Tilray Black Tuna cut.
The original breeder of Black Tuna went by the name rockymountain something… I always forget even though this discussion was had in another thread recently and someone filled in the blanks on the breeder’s name LOL… I’ll remember when I’m nowhere near my laptop hehe

17 Likes

lol I remember seeing those around in some dispos just before legalization

5 Likes

Awesome - @Upstate and @TopShelfTrees1 Definitely following along!

We had a pretty good ice coating yesterday here in the central Southern Tier, not as much snow though, just a hard glassy coating. Should have taken a pic.

2 Likes

Awesome to see this project @Upstate!
Thanks to both you and @TopShelfTrees1 for making this happen, I’ll tag along for the ride :pray:

3 Likes

I wholeheartedly believe they are, been a prized possession in my stash for a long while, I was pretty ecstatic when @Upstate had offered to do them as they are definitely getting old now , made me super happy to see they popped so well, gives me a lot of faith for the others of similar age and older I hold.
Regardless I know this is gonna be good! I know quite a bit about the whole tuna can operation as well, at one point we were picking up cube vans full of boxes that were being flown in by Cessna, some of that bud was still some of the best I recall, truly! Ah the nostalgia for years past…. :thinking:

24 Likes

All 8 are up. All 8 have cotyledons AND leaves😁. It’s on now!
@TopShelfTrees1 I can’t wait to get you some fresh seeds.

40 Likes

Yes! Awesome news! Its on now

8 Likes

Not much to report. It looks like that ninth good seed Might have sprouted. I chucked it in one of the containers of the other plants But I didn’t mark it,so it’s possible.It’s just a seed that was in my mix that popped up on its own. I’ll know soon. Either it’s a pure sativa or it’s got fat leaves. So far it looks like a black tuna,but it’s still early. I’ll separate the plants tonight, and get an updated photo.

23 Likes

Uploading: Screenshot_20240408_084219_Gallery.jpg…
Uploading: 20240412_192217.jpg…
More coming… ![Screenshot_20240413_094539_Gallery|225x500]
(upload://yD2Xp0fjASFiPs54UsYaxJznJhd.jpeg)
To get it out of the way, I have to share the bad news that one of the Black Tuna plants was killed by a cutworm around a week back. We had an early Spring thaw a couple weeks ago , so I helped myself to some of my prime garden soil to mix into my container soil and give the plants some nice local microbes, and I must have picked up the hitchhiker. The ninth plant ended up being a narrowleaf lady anyway, but the cut worm got that one too, as both plants were in the same container. The soil had just been frozen a week before. I never would have guessed a cutworm could survive that. Sorry @TopShelfTrees1. I’m kicking myself in the ass over that one. Should be plenty for a good mix of males and females. With my conditions they usually go about fifty fifty. I’m seeing two that I think are males.
The remaining 7 plants are doing well and were transplanted into half gallon containers a week ago, after the cutworm episode. Photos are mixed older and newer ( wet leaves) and I think I likely pictured some plants twice.

39 Likes

They look great! Don’t stress over it , it happens. Hope you do get a real nice mix . Awesome

3 Likes

@TopShelfTrees1 Thanks for understanding Brother. I hate to lose plants, especially when preservation is involved. Lesson learned. These are growing faster than what I expected. This is the first time I have grown anything entirely broadleaf looking, maybe ever, and I expected them to be slower. I’m pleasantly surprised. Fun stuff! That Lambsbread Put some pep in their step😁 I can’t wait till they show their personality when they’re a little bigger. Plan is to put these in 3 gallon containers the minute I see a root poking out the bottom of the pot.

7 Likes

I definitely feel you, I do to . But it happens. I really can’t wait to see them progress, glad they are moving along quickly for you. Can’t wait to see how they progress.

2 Likes

The plants look great so far. Glad you only lost one, could have been worse.
Will be interesting to see the variation as they get bigger.

3 Likes

Just up potted to 3 gallon last night. Had them in the sun an hour, starting to harden them off. They should start growing quicker now.

31 Likes

Well, its early yet, but I’ve been doing this a long time. I see 4 females, 2 males, one unknown. My broadfork fell over and snapped that 7th plant above the first set of leaves😲. It’ll recover. I blame it on whoever recommended that broadfork, lol. (Seriously though, if you garden tough soil and don’t own one, it’s a gamechanger. Thanks for the recommendation)The others are doing great despite having the tips of their leaves bitten off by my chickens when I turned around for just thirty seconds to a minute… after leaving my gate open, and a little sunburn on a couple older leaves. That will be the last time I leave the gate open, even for a short time. The chickens were watching🧐.

They just started growing fast this past 4 days. I see some purple stalks, and they are nice and fuzzy. This is going to be a good one!

34 Likes

Looking great. The chickens know what’s good :rofl:

1 Like

What’s that expression about the well laid plans of mice and men? Lol. I think im at week 7 and i want these bigger before flipping them. For a 3 foot bush maybe 2 feet tall at flip would be good? Any guesses? I’m thinking i should go to 5 gallon before 12 12 so they have room for a stretch. Ill get updated pictures too. I intended to get some this weekend but i got sidetracked by the fat leaves on some of them. Most of you know me as the Sativa fanatic I am, but i do love those fat leaves, too. Just not on my Sativas😁. What could i expect with these? 2x stretch? 1.5×? I kinda can’t remember growing shortflowers short season🤣. @George what do you think? You’ve got a kush going yourself right now, yes? Yours look about like Id like to have these. Mine will grow slower than yours til warmer weather hits. Anyone else growing a pure Kush ibl or have some ideas? Fresh pics tomorrow. Plants are all topped now. Most by me intentionally :grimacing:. The plant topped earliest was the biggest one. I.figured it to most likely be a male, but it sexed female. I can tell already topping early is good for these. The others, aside from mr or mrs broadfork, were topped over the last week. Still at 4 ladies, 2 males, one broadfork. At least one male and one female I’m 100% sure of. The other 3 females im 99%, the remaining assumed male is one of those tricky ones with the "sheaths"covering the “ball”, making it look female. What i call a false female. Easy to get tricked sexing this type too early. I tried a closeup, but wind wouldn’t allow clarity.

2nd photo= tricky male 90% sure

A little anthocyanin 5th pic up. Purple stems on the lower half on 2 or 3 don’t really show in a picture. Pretty purple stripes.
Theres a couple stinkers. One of them the tricky male. Fingers crossed its male!
No guesses yet with mr or mrs broakfork’s sex. She’s going to catch back up with the others within a few weeks i think.

22 Likes

More veg time and bigger pots sounds good to me, missed this thread because of :fish: :nauseated_face:, looks strange to me seeing you dealing with an indica hybrid frech|nullxnull, I will resume tomorrow the whole adventure, looking good so far
beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

This is an old ibl, but strange nonetheless! Thanks for your input buddy. I’ll throw the 3 gallon bags into 5 gallon bags then. Maybe 7’s. Too early to attempt a transplant out of fabric.

8 Likes

Go for the 5’s !! hehe
Love the fat leaves on those last pics.
Good to see you persevering man, been a tough go for you the last few months. Hope you are mending up well :wink:

4 Likes