Blowgank420’s first grow

Looking perfect now :wink:

1 Like

They look pretty damn happy to me

1 Like

I have a question for you guys an lady’s. Im starting to get a lot of nodes an smalller branch offs some of the leaves are coming in upside down does that mean I stressed the plant as a baby or is that just genetics? Also how many weeks into veg would you suggest starting to add fox farm trio nuts to the water. 2 of 3 plants are in straight ffof with 30/40 perlite mixed in the smallest of the 3 pots is a mix of ff happyfrog with a little ffof an perlite as well. Would I give the smaller pot nuts first since it’s in a smaller pot an will run out of nuts?? Sorry for all the questions

1 Like

Asking questions ahead of when you need to know is good, as It allows preparation time :thinking:

Your twisted leaves could be genetics, but more likely that the leaves are quite big for a small plant and are getting twisted finding space to grow. Or the fan is too strong for them atm.

Sometimes it may be a light leak at night causing the leaves to turn a different way and can’t correct themselves, as I have found on a couple of occasions with other people’s grows.

Your plants will tell you when they need food, they communicate with their leaves. What you have to do is start to look very closely at your plants in detail.

You are using bottle nutrient, which are micro nutrients and should be available to the plant as soon as they go in the soil with the water.

This gives you a quick response time to adjust nutrient levels when you see your plants leaves change from that dark green to a lighter green, although they are at max at the moment, so a bit lighter shade of green would be ok, it’s when they look very light green towards yellow, that they are shouting for food, and would need it before they reach that point.

It’s hard to say when that point would be and would be a decision based on what the plants are expressing with their leaf colour. Then you just need to work out how much nutrient they need, better to use the lower end of the scale, it’s easier putting a bit more in on the next feed, than trying to take some out :wink:

If you were using a macro nutrient like a bat guano or blood, bone meal, then you would need to be adding it in before the plants require it as it takes time to break down and become micro nutrients.

These are slow release food so you would not have to worry so much about when they are added as the plants will utilize the soil bacteria to make the micro nutrients available when it needs them. You just need to keep the bacteria in balance. All part of the learning experience curve lol.

3 Likes

You have no clue how much I appreciate all the advice I got it on here plus when I’m not doing shit I like to cruise everybody’s forums an get ideas an tricks to make my next grow that much better. I do have a question in reference to low stress training. I was gonna start this week but wasn’t sure of a few things I mean I’ve been constantly pushing the nodes down flat as they pop up but I would love to take 1 an start experimenting a little bit more. My questions are . 1.)Is it to early to start bending it an twist tying it down? 2.) Let’s say I do start tying it down to a side of the pot how many days do I leave it tied to the 1 side of the pot before bending it back in a different direction? An do I continue to do this until I’m bushy or content? Or do you stop when you start flowering stage?

1 Like

Here is a link
I posted a few days back that has a lot of books on growing, etc. that are free to download, Cannabis Know-How

3 Likes

That’s a great link, I had a similar site with hundreds of books to download free and it disappeared this year, the link takes me to a page on how to look after rabbits now, I was so pissed. So I have bookmarked this one now, cheers :+1:.

1 Like

No problem man👍

For me they are still a bit short, I usually start bending mine when they hit around 12 inches tall, if they are slow to develop lower branching. Once the lowers catch up with the main stem I will let it straighten, then see how bushy she gets. You only have to bend it in one direction to get the lowers to start faster growth.

If I think she wants more I will either top all those branches or bend the stems, and crack them, so they stay bent, sometimes they will straighten again, so I crack them again until they learn to behave :joy:

I usually do the cracking when they are about 18 inches tall, and crack them about 6 to 8 inches from the top down. Then the lower shoots become branches.

Don’t do anything to stress the plants 10 days or less before you put them into flower, the shock may stunt the bud development, I have had it happen to mine.

2 Likes

Perfect thank you for explaining. I went to that site posted above an yes it has information. A lot of information actually. Lol :joy: so much information it would take me a few days to find the answer to my above question. I was like shit I keep getting side tracked lol

1 Like

ok so I’ve been doing some reading and came across some info that I wanted to dbl check. If you notice in the first pic the stems on my plant are really purplish. I thought it was normal. But from what I read it could mean my plants are starving for cal/mag is this correct? Just trying to learn how to spot problems

3 Likes

I start training my plants at about 3 or 4" tall and through the first 2 weeks of flower. After the stretch is over so should be your training. Let the plants focus on bud development without stress.

2 Likes

Purple stems can be an indication that the plants are low in magnesium, but there will be other signs as well like light colored leaves. There are many strains that will have purple to red stems on the leaves and streaks on the branches and main stems which is normal so don’t panic if you see it. It can also be caused by other stresses as well.

Cannabis is a heavy consumer of Magnesium especially in flower and under LED lights.

I add plain Epsom salts, nothing else added to it, as it’s used as a bath salt. It also has sulfur in it which the plants use a lot of in flower. I get mine from Walmart, it’s about 10$ for a big 2 kilo tub, I add 3 table spoons in 5 gals of water every other watering in veg and pretty much every watering in flower. You can go up to 1 table spoon per gal if they are big plants.

Your plants look really healthy don’t worry.

1 Like

It’s only like that on a cpl branch’s but it’s on all the plants so could definitely be genetics which I did make the mistake of planting in a super hot soil so it could be nut burn but I can say there’s a lot more green stems then purple an I did mix a gallon of nuts with a 3rd of what the ff trio schedule says. Decided to add it to the feed once This week an see how they respond at the end of the week an start to add it to the ever other day feed. An I’m going to get epsom salt next time I run to the store thanks for the advice I appreciate it

2 Likes

not sure if they weren’t ready for the nuts yet or if I just gave them a little bit to much water? I also moved the light down closer to the plants so I moved it back up a cpl inch’s but not sure what caused the drooping

4 Likes

May be the water, give them a bit of time to see if they bounce back, they look good apart from that, but are right on the limit for N atm.

1 Like

If I already adjusted the ph in the water with the nuts in a 1 gallon jug. Would it be bad to maybe dilute a bit more like add another half gallon of water to the 1 gallon? Or if I used ph up on the nut water an after adding more water I need to adjust the ph will that ruin the mix using ph up an down on the same gallon? Also if it takes longer then 4 weeks to show signs of male or female wouldn’t that more then likely mean they are male? Or do they only start to show when I flip the light schedule?

1 Like

Once a plant starts alternating it’s branch nodes it will start to show it’s sex. Normally its after 7 branch pairs that they start to alternate. The lower nodes tend to be the easiest to check as they are more developed. It’s not easy when they are young and small, I still get caught out occasionally.

Flowering them will definitely show there sex though, if you want to wait that long to find out.

If you reduce your nutrient down in the bucket you can re check the ph before watering the plants and adjust with either ph up or down depending on what it needs to be be at PH 6. Usually the PH drifts up when water or nutrients sit for a bit. You should check the nutrient info to see how long it can be made up before using it, the main problem will be it becoming too anerobic from the bacteria if it sits to long.

2 Likes

You must of read my mind with the last section because I was gonna ask how long does a gallon per say that’s been premixed last but I will check the fox farm feed schedule online. The place I ordered from never sent me the feed schedule so I went off one that was given to me above which I dbl checked an was correct my ph was 6.43 which I was happy with. So maybe I just gave them to much of it or they didn’t need it yet. The one is doing great an didn’t seem to be bothered by the nutrients at all where as the other 2 still haven’t perked up yet. Should I stay away from regular water right now as well?

5 Likes

Another mistake I made when I repotted them was putting them to low in the pot. I should of left some more stem showing. Instead I buried them to there face an I now have nodes branching basically into the dirt instead of I’m a bit nervous to trim them back hahaha. I know I know.lmao. So from my understanding it was 4-6 weeks an I would be able to tell if it’s male or female. Did I misunderstand? And if I switched to flower now per say would that make the sexing process take even longer? Just wondering

2 Likes

The 4-6 weeks is basically how long it might take for the plant to get to alternating branches, when they should start to show sex.

Usually the people who sell the nutrient products always advise a dosage that is too high. Some growers start at a lower amount 50 -75% of recommended and work up to see what the plant can handle.

They are looking really good atm, the floppy leaves may be just a characteristic of the strain, I had an Afghani hash plant, look exactly like those, that did the same floppy leaf thing, plus they are quite large for the size of the plant. So I would keep it at what you are feeding them at the moment, when they get bigger they may need a little more.

If you switch to flower mode now they wont take longer to show sex, you will know in about a week to 10 days. Once they start to flower they will stretch in height, and develop more branch nodes and budding sites.

You can remove lower branches, they will not produce much hidden down there under all those big leaves. Its hard to see how tall they are, all your pics are from a top down perspective. You could top them and that will make the lower branches develop more. You got plenty of height in the tent you could let them get to 2 ft / 30cm before you would need to think about starting to flower them, unless you are in a real hurry. Bigger plants = bigger roots = more and bigger buds :wink:

2 Likes