BODHI Clusterfunk and SSDD

I grew out 2 packs of SSDD … I wasnt too happy with them. I got 1 that’s was I’d say above average with pretty decent yield and smell… but the other females I got were all a waste of space tbh. All F1 too… think I just got a shitty run of luck with those lot

8 Likes

I wonder how that cross got so hyped up. It seems like a lot of people weren’t overly impressed with their SSDD’s. I liked the one I grew okay. It wasn’t legendary or anything. The plant structure wasn’t ideal, lots of weak and floppy branches that snapped really easily, but the flowers smoked pretty good. Not good enough for me to feel compelled to run it again, but I wasn’t disappointed or anything.

Do we know how that cross became so sought after? Where’d the hype come from? Did somebody find, like, an epic pheno and pump it up online or something?

10 Likes

I think there are some phenos that are very good for nerve pain and of medicinal value, which is where most of the hype came from, I believe. There’s also the butter pheno… which got a lot of hype, not sure if it was passed around in circles or what? I enjoyed both females I got from my pack, so I really think it is dependent on the person, same with a lot of these different lines. I know my buddy who has been smoking like 20 years really likes it too, so I know it’s not just me or something. It gets my girl too high and she refuses to smoke it, but she’s a light-weight. What’s interesting is that she suffers from nerve pain, but she says it amplifies it… so I dunno, everyone’s endo-cannabinoid system is different?

@Vagabond_Windy haha, we are definitely riding the same wave today

7 Likes

There are a few threads floating around the inter web where lots of ssdd has been grown. I believe there are is a pheno or two that take care of nerve pain. A Bubbashine male was also supposed to be the big pollinator dad but he lost it, he then used the Snow lotus male. I’m almost positive that the buttery blueberry muffin pheno and the nerve pain relief are why it’s gained such a following.

Edit: also what @iamyou_youareme said ! Lol

8 Likes

Seems like everybody’s on similar wavelengths today, @Vagabond_Windy and @iamyou_youareme . I have a buddy who’s opinion is the only one I trust when it comes to weed, so I always give him a fat nug from each plant I harvest. Last night I smoked the Uplift #4 for the first time; this morning he texted me to let me know that he was blazing the #4 for the first time today haha. Same thing happened with the Midas a couple days ago, too.

Gotta love that synchronicity…

6 Likes

How did it get so hyped up?
You’d better think on that one a bit, I know you’ll figure it out.
It was the butter pheno, I have it or have had it but the ratio from good to bad, I wouldn’t grow them again for sure.

1 Like

Yeah, okay. I’ll think on that one for a bit…

Okay, I thought about it. Still haven’t figured it out. Like I said, I liked the SSDD I grew, but it seems like the “good” pheno is few and far-between. Shit, man, you just said yourself that you “for sure” wouldn’t grow it again. So…

4 Likes

Similar experience myself w it last year, was one of the first strains I picked to grow after a 14 year hiatus. Picked it bc there were so many people in love w it on here. Ran the Sebring f2s from the preservation run, got 1 female. Was finicky grower, grew bc of the nerve pain thing bc my wife & aunt both have conditions w nerve pain. I thought it took too long, was prone to lock out, foxtailing, smell was unique but didn’t come thru in the smoke, and wasn’t overly potent. I was happy to let it go, wife liked it for everyday smoke bc it wasn’t too strong and she liked medicinal qualities.

Running ss4 now, we’ll see how that goes. IMO, SSDD didn’t live up to the hype but I’m interested in giving it a 2nd shot if I could make room for it somehow.

7 Likes

The one SSDD girl I liked was kinda buttery but more sour. The Sunshine 4 cut I have on the other hand is friggin amazing smoke. Great pungent aroma and very uplifting and creative high.

10 Likes

I too have ran into a sour, diesely plant.
You can definitely till the butter pheno, thou.

3 Likes

I definitely had a “butter” pheno when I ran them, but it turned out male. I could smell it as soon as I’d open the tent, when they were all only like 25 days in veg. Usually at that age, they all just have that generic “early veg” smell, but the butter was extremely noticeable. I should’ve made seeds with that one, probably, but I never make seeds, so…

Is the Butter Pheno the one that everybody should be looking for? Is that the one that smokes well? I still have five or six seeds, but I don’t have any plans to run them any time soon. If somebody wants them, they’re all yours.

6 Likes

The butter pheno is the one you’re looking for.
I’ll check if I got a bud left of it and get a pic ,later.

3 Likes

I popped 9 Clusterfunk seeds to start, ended up with only 3 females. The rest were dudes or herms. By contrast I only popped 6 SSDD and also got 3 females. All 3 SSDD grew pretty nice, but only 1 or 2 of the clusterfunk grew to my liking, so Id say that the SSDD produces more consistent winners per pack.

7 Likes

2 of the phenos I got were like that. Floppy stems, with decent looking buds of pretty nice size. The other was the one I really liked, which is what I will be reviewing today. It had large, dense, chunky “dome top” nugs and had strong enough stems to support those flowers. It was slightly less stretchy that the others and had a much different aroma profile.

7 Likes

Thanks @newb2.0 , @Sunvalley , @OleReynard and @minitiger for your posts. Its all just about learning and I hope this thread helps others out in some way, certainly not trying to steer anyone away from B s gear. Here we go with the next smoke report, Im ready to get high !

Sunshine Daydream # 4 pheno- This was probably my favorite plant of the entire run to grow. I loved the structure, this was the only pheno that didnt have those floppy stems. I really wanted a bubba leaning plant out of this strain and thats what this plant was all about so I had high hopes. Really pretty colors on this one, lots of dark purple.

Appearance/bag appeal = 8/10 - As I mentioned, this plant produced larger chunky buds. The frost coverage is decent, but not crazy impressive. The colors it showed during flower are not present in the final product. Still, these are some pretty nice looking flowers, just not the stick to the bag style.

Structure= 10/10 - Cant believe any of these plants are getting a 10 out of 10 in any category, but to me, these are the perfect structure. Dense to be sure, but not like some of those rock hard dispensary nugs that you need a chisel for. When you break off a bit for a bong it doesnt disappear in the bottom of the slider, but fills the bowl nice. Just the right about of squeeze, which is not much but still noticeable. This pheno’s flowers are pretty much the polar opposite of the last SSDD I reviewed, which had airy buds.

Aroma = 4/10- When I first open the jar my nose gets hit with a straight whiff of gas. Not really sour D like, more like just straight up spilled gas. Then there is a prominent funk I dont like- smells like grandma’s cupboard, musty like you smell when you walk into a old house. There is also a ever so slight hint of chem going on, but I really have stick my nose right on the flower while I break it open to get that to show much. The overall intensity of these aromas is actually really mild, hence the score.

Pause for bong hit

Flavor = 2/10- Nothing to write home about here. Flavor is not great, the must cabinet flavor is the most dominate, there is no Bubba like flavors. No kush, chem or gas flavor, more like dusty hay with just a hint of funk. I have barely smoke any of this. Still got 2 near full jars left. I actually snapped 2 bongs back to back just to see if I could find anymore flavor. This was one of the biggest disappointments of the grow, It actually leaves kind of a gross mold like flavor in my mouth. Such a bummer. Great looking weed with little smell or taste.

I will be back to finish with the Potency and Effect.

For now its back to trim jail to chop down the last SSDD (pheno 2)- this one looks better than the last run but Im still doubtful I will keep it around. I will see how I feel about it after trimming.

After chopping the Mothers Milk f2 yesterday I am really excited to hopefully have something tasty to smoke soon. Interestingly I sort of hated the smell during flower, just kinda reeked of an unpleasent burnt rubber. But goddam ! The amount of aromas that came off it during trim just blew my mind. Literally so many descriptors that I lost track of all the aromas I was noticing. It looked pretty ratty, most fan leaves had shriveled up and died and several others were dead at the tips. I was sure I didnt and wouldnt like it or grow again, especially after the only female I got from 6 seeds hermed and pollinated the rest of the crop ! ( I ended up cutting the male flowers off and decided to just let them finish) But after spending 3 and a half hours trimming that one plant I knew this is actually some legit herb ! I cant wait to sample this. Here is a couple of pics right before I chopped. Thanks @OleReynard for these !

13 Likes

I’m not criticizing or anything, but is your drying/curing process dialed in? I trust that it is, but it seems weird to me that these plants are so lacking in the aroma/flavor departments. Again, not criticizing, some plants just don’t have it going on. My SSDD just REEKED of skunk after it was dried and cured, though. Skunkiest plant I’ve ever grown. I remember I’d be rolling a joint and my girl would be on the other side of the house and yell,”That weed stinks!” haha.

Having said that, one of the Uplifts I grew last round is almost completely flavorless. It’s bizarre, because it smells really fucking good, but there is no flavor at all. Ordinarily, I’d think there was something wrong with my taste buds or something, but I gave some to a friend of mine and he said the same thing about that particular pheno.

Anyway, hopefully that Mother’s Milk turns out better for you. Those Appalachian crosses of Bodhi’s usually turn out really good.

8 Likes

Everybody so far has enjoyed them.
Was glad I could find some decent prospective parents and they turned out like I hoped they would’ve or should’ve.

8 Likes

funny i stumble on this, i was just sending my brother pictures of my cluster funks, and raving about how good it is, it’s like smoking blueberry cheesecake, very thick smoke that gets you so so high, and here’s the pictures of one of the two plants i had

19 Likes

@mtntrogger nice thread! If I had to guess why there’s an issue with the taste and smell, it would be the nutes, 100 percent. To make sure and prove all doubts, I would suggest doing a side by side run of the same clone using nutes on one plant and just water on the other. You can have great success with happy frog. Ocean forest is fine too, but you need to add mycorrhizae to it. If you want more, try top dressing with insect frass or make organic teas using worm castings (assuming you can’t get goat or alpaca dung).

2 Likes

aww man… you almost have me discouraged from running all my ssdd fgens and crosses but I’m gonna do it. I’m sorry you didn’t find what you were looking for.

I think the hype from the SSDD is from a specific pheno or two. In the F1s you wanna look for the butter cut or the “wizard hat” pheno. I’ve only popped f2s with a horrible germ rate but I found a Bubbashine leaner in there and fell in love with her. It’s not the most potent thing, and the plant can be a pain to grow(floppy), but the sour butter / hot blueberry muffin smell and flavor are drool worthy and the pain killing effects are definitely there which I especially need. I’m currently waiting on clones to root but plan is find a similar boy and make more seeds with her starting 2022 :wink:

12 Likes