Bodhi Plant and seed guide (Part 1)

A couple of early DLA 13 that got roughed up pretty bad from some hail about a week or so ago… i put them out for some sunlight and a freak storm blew in… they were hurt, but are still alive. Only about 2 weeks old, but the one still mostly in-tact already smells distinctly of diesel exhaust and green onions… the other is working hard at recovering and making a come back… looking forward to finding out how the scents develop on these.

Good night

26 Likes

Idk if this has been said on this thread but Bodhi made a labeling mistake on his Pirate Sweat. He says the actual lineage is 80s Black Afghan x Instant Karma. This is important for anyone who bought Booty thinking it was a Ghash BX like I did :sweat_smile:

20 Likes

Wow! Instant Karma? That’s a pretty old cross of his, haven’t heard anything about that one in a long time.

11 Likes

You’ve heard about Instant Karma recently, you just don’t remember it.

Strawberry Milk, which b used recently as a daddy to quite a few released crosses, is his cross of Nepali OG x Instant Karma.

Instant Karma (aka Bubba D, which nobody calls it) is bodhi’s cross of Bubba Kush x edit Rezdog’s Sour Diesel IBL.

Thanks to the great and powerful @BarristanWhitebeard from RIU for catching my mixup of The Rev and Rezdog. It’s Rezdog’s Sour Diesel IBL, not The Rev’s!

23 Likes

Got on the Bodhi train after IK disappeared and always wished I was around back then to run it. Seems like a strain with a lot of potential for weird outlier plants. Been excited to try some of the stuff from the Strawberry Milk dad, but read that it was retired because of issues with vine-like stems and possible herms (iirc). From the mother I have a few Terpenado outside and a pack of Strawberry Lotus that I might put out late. From the father I have Strawberry Headband, Dazzleberry, and Tresfighter x Strawberry Milk. Wondering if they might do better outside than inside (stronger stems/unrestricted root space). Running low on spots so would have to run them as minis to pack them in, but really don’t want to lose the genetics since the father is gone so I’m leaning toward saving them for indoor so I can keep cuts and make seeds. Also tough to find info on how Bodhi’s strains perform outside in true guerrilla situations. Finding out this year if all goes as planned. Actually might get more info by making a thread so I’ll do that right now.

14 Likes

I didn’t get the viney stems, but definitely herms in testing, and I think the Strawberry Milk papa was also too dominant in crosses. Much of what he hit turned into carbon copies of SM…not really what you want in a breeding male.

As for outdoor performance, there’s tons of discussion of it by what resistances his breeding males bring to the table over at Breedbay and RIU. You just have to search thru the threads - like actually use the search tool. I’m not being snarky, just saying that the info is there and it’s listed by the outdoor resistances of the males, but I don’t have the exact posts bookmarked. If I remember correctly, his 88g13hp male imparts a lot of rot and PM resistance and his Appalachia dad was good against aphids. Just keep in mind that you’ll have to do some work yourself - resistance doesn’t mean immunity. :wink:

bodhi’s been testing his males for outdoor PM and botrytis resistance for 20+ years - he has a patch over the hill that he calls the torture test because it’s very high humidity, has a lot of bugs, and doesn’t get much airflow. He also mentions this on his IG but again you’ll have to read thru a lot of posts to find the specific details you’re after.

Until the last couple/few years, very few people were both growing outdoors and posting about it due to the nature of guerilla growing. Loose lips sink ships, and all that. Best of luck!

:rainbow:

30 Likes

That explains it. I’ve never even looked at the genetics of Strawberry Milk, just because I wasn’t interested in it. The name really turned me off haha!

10 Likes

Yeah, there’s a lot of stuff on Breedbay (or there was back when it was an active site), but it’s been maybe 7 years since I really dug through there to find information on specific strains. Will have to experiment with the search function now that the site is different. RIU I’m less familiar with, but from my limited experience it’s an absolute nightmare sorting through everything on there to find useful stuff. IC has gotten tougher to use and alot of info has disappeared from the site. Kinda miss the old TSD forums.

I’ve seen a lot of outdoor stuff, but I guess I’m looking for more guerrilla info. I can find all kinds of things on how stuff performs in California commercial conditions, but like you said, people out my way aren’t quite as free to share. And our plants don’t tend to be anywhere near as photogenic, so that might have a lot to do with it :rofl: I might get some pics up this year to illustrate that point.

I’ll definitely say that his G13HP plants stand out from the others even at the seedling stage. I’m not able to baby them at all, and a lot of the stuff from other breeders couldn’t handle being put out into 90-degree weather without hardening off. Not their fault, but the vigor of some of Bodhi’s stuff is truly outstanding.

Here’s the thread btw: Guerrilla experience with Bodhi strains?

13 Likes

Theres a pack of mexican death sativa at breeders direct when i looked yesterday

5 Likes

Did it actually show stock on hand? One of my only gripes with BDSC is they don’t remove out of stock items that won’t be restocked. You have to click into the item to actually see it’s out of stock.

Edit: confirmed it’s showing out of stock as of this moment.

6 Likes

My bad. only clicked on it and saw it was available but never added it to the cart to see if it would show up. Did think it was odd and kinda wack that it shows in stock until you click add to cart . and it wont load

4 Likes

If you clicked into the MDS item and saw 1 in stock, that would have been accurate. So someone else must have found it too.

Some seed banks, like GLG, remove out of stock items from the visible stock list so people don’t try to add to the cart. Other seed banks, like JBC, Headie Gardens, and The Seed Source, clearly mark items out of stock in the stock list so you don’t click into the item only to see it’s out of stock. That’s something BDSC could definitely improve on–well, that and their attention to detail in strain names.

5 Likes

The cart button was there like it was available but didnt click to see if it would load as i cant take on something like that anytime soon

1 Like

Hello guys
Have couple males, from nikah, more cowbell, soul mate , harlequin BX x sunshine 4, ortiga x apolo13, tres star dawg x sunshine 4, Oregon hulkberry F2 , SSDD and same strain females + SFV fighter(SFV Long bottom fighter) SAGE, MK ultra, panama,Congo, and zamdelica (ace seeds).Want to try pollination from 1-2 male, but could not figure out which one to choose :flushed:

6 Likes

It depends on what you are looking for for your crosses, this is why some of these males you have are more inclined towards sativa and others more indica, another factor to consider is what are these males like?
Do any of them have any resin, good branching or a specific color or smell you want?
I believe that some photos of males and females would also bring some help so that someone can help you better, some plants just by looking at some photos gives you an idea if it is or not, a stallion or a mother

The ideal would be to choose 1 powerful male and let him pollinate all the females, otherwise how will you know which male pollinated which female?

:om: :pray:

14 Likes

Aloha @nube :wave:

This is excellent info; My proposed new home is a former coffee/macadamia farm & it’s only less humid than Hilo, where it never really stops raining. I can’t get THC out of taro :rofl:

One nice thing is simply needing less :herb: because of moving to Big Island. :thinking: So that might help too. And 4/5 people I know are growers. :man_shrugging: Kinda weird. Is it me?

Back to Bodhi-talk. :studio_microphone:

:evergreen_tree:

23 Likes

Zamaldelica x SSDD sounds interesting :smiley:

If you have the space/time, couldn’t hurt to try each male on each female. Might find some combinations that really work.

6 Likes

Thanks @dirtroadtrippin @Shanti-ri I’ll try, zamXssdd and a couple more. I would be glad, but unfortunately I have no opportunity to do more tests. still making clones from girls, first time trying pollination , have not experience… maybe I’ll kill all males and try next time :smirk:

3 Likes

Congrats on the new place! When do you move? I’m guessing it’s in the Captain Cook / Kona area where all the coffee plantations are found. Nice area - we know some small producers out there. :coffee:

I’ve sent a lot of beans to the big island, almost all of them F2 of bodhi’s stuff. They’re mostly being grown in lower Puna, up mauka on the way to Volcanoes park, in and around Hilo, and along the Hamakua coastal areas. The stretchier plants with fluffier buds perform very well outdoor on the windward side, but I guess keep in mind the growing seasons there are a little weird, so the folks I know try to veg indoors. If you’re more around the leeward side, you won’t have so many issues with the crazy rain.

It’s not just you. :slight_smile: We got an airbnb a few years ago in lower Puna and the hosts gave us weed when we got there. Despite all the rain, there’s a long tradition of growing weed on that windward side. A lotta people over there still doesn’t accept US rule. Mostly good people out there, but watch out for the meth’d out Qanon “hippies.” They used to preach peace, pot, and microdot, but now they’re threatening to kill people and claiming COVID is a hoax. I think they all got rat lungworm and went feral.

To keep it on topic, here’s Cheech Wizard at day 56F getting nuggy and floppy and just about done.

31 Likes

:crazy_face: :call_me_hand:
…Rat Lungworm IS a hoax!!!..

:laughing: I’m in the offer/counter-offer stage & yep it’s the South end of Kona, HI.
Wild pigs & lava & all kinds of new adventures.

:evergreen_tree:

14 Likes