Bodhi's Triple Goddess, HolyAngel's Franco's Lemon Cheese x NL5Haze/Sensi Star and Doc D's Wat Pho

Nspecta said something to the effect of ‘the OG cuts I’ve run have all been stable, but when out crossed you end up with 10-15% herms.’ Off the top of my head these are the F1s from B that I’ve had intersex traits show up.

Madre Azul - (Blueberry Lotus x OMG)
2 females - intersex on both

Sunshine Daydream (bubbashine x appalachia)
2023 - 1 female had nanners emerging from the buds and was culled immediately.

Redeye Jedi (skywalker OG x 88)
2 different occasions. 4 total females with intersex issues

Devil’s HP (diablo OG x 88)
1 out of 3 females had slight intersex issues out of first pack
4 out of 4 females had slight intersex issues

Spirit HP (ghost OG x 88)
2/2 females had slight intersex issues

Legend OG x SL -
all females but one had intersex issues on the undersides of the buds

Waking Dream - (wifi 43 OG x ssdd) - another OG cross
1 female - had an open male flower under one of the buds.

I think it’s fair to blame environmental conditions and stresses on my end for most if not all of them. Worth noting also that 5 out of 7 are OG crosses. I see it just as something that comes with the territory of pheno hunting, whether we like it or not. I avoid focusing on it too much personally because people like to white-knight breeders and make things personal at times when you mention issues. “So and so male has been proven and tested by this breeder for years” as they emotionally respond to observations is what I’ve seen lurking forums for years.

Well, maybe in ideal environments. Those of us with more stressful environments have to do a little bit of digging to find the more stable phenos. To me it just reinforces the value of holding a couple moms of your favorite smoke that you can cycle out for new moms when you find something better.

More of an argument for taking cuttings and flowering in 1 gal pots - rerunning the stand out plants!

17 Likes

This the first time I’ve had herm issues with any Bodhi gear. OG hybrids-wise, I’ve grown the Larry Lotus (Larry OG, obviously), the Time Bandit (Wifi 43), Imperial Majesty (Pure OG) and probably one or two more that I’m forgetting. A friend of mine found eight seeds in the Time Bandit nugs I gave her, so something happened there, but I never found any seeds in all of the flowers that I blazed. That goes for everything, too, not just the Time Bandits.

If I had to guess why that may be for Nspecta’s crosses specifically, I’d say it’s probably because he uses S1’s for, like, everything haha. In any event, 100% of my Triple Goddess females hermed, so… I wonder what woulda happened with the two males I ended up with, like if I’d have flowered them, too. I suspect there would’ve been intersex issues with them, as well.

I have a feeling that that’s why we haven’t seen any Triple Goddess grow reports online. Or I haven’t found any, anyway.

I wondered about that with these plants. I mean, it has been a little cooler in the tent during lights off than I’d like, but nothing “extreme” or whatever. Coldest it’s gotten in there is 66, which doesn’t seem too bad. But maybe it is, I dunno. And it’s not like it’s consistently 66 degrees during lights off. Most of the time it’s a little warmer, 68 or so, sometimes even 70.

I know, I was thinking about that this morning while I was digging through my seeds to find those Banana Soap beans and before I’d even seen all the sacs and nanners on those Triple Goddess plants. It took me like ten minutes to find the seeds, totally thinking the whole time,”This is fucking ridiculous. Get rid of 90% of this stuff and just keep some moms around.” Finding all those sacs just reinforced what I was already thinking.

18 Likes

I find it hard to blame environment when other plants right next to them are stable. It’s one thing if the whole tent herms, but if it’s just one line or a couple plants… kinda leans to it being the plants…

12 Likes

Oh yeah, dude, for sure. It’s definitely that line.

Since I have no intention of ever growing any more of the Triple Goddess seeds, I went on strainly today to see how one goes about selling seeds. Two things stood out: one, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to sell anything there, just because I don’t know how bitcoin works haha. I also don’t have three “positive reviews.”

And two, people were selling packs of Bodhi seeds there for CRAZY amounts of money. It looked like somebody named “Midnight Gardens” got stuck with like 20 packs of those Berner/Bodhi seeds, too, which I think is funny. They were selling (or trying to sell) like ten packs of the autographed shit and another ten packs of the “regular” stuff, I’m sure to no avail. Very amusing.

13 Likes

Ah yeah lol strainly is a shit show and I refuse to bother wasting my time there. Been stiffed twice, got a couple other things but it’s kind of a hassle overall. Rather get them gone here or one of the discords like headies or speakeasy.

10 Likes

For what it’s worth, true og, pure og, ghost and triangle all had pretty regular herm issues commercially. So much so that there were two people tasked with walking through the og room daily to pull nanners :man_shrugging:t2: commercially though there are a lot more opportunities for overpruning, light leaks, and other stressors caused by careless employees. Just my two cents

10 Likes

Not sure on the rest but this TK cut is stable af. I’ve only been able to get her to produce 1 nanner in all the times i’ve grown her. I hit her with Sebring’s STS recipe every couple/few days for 5 weeks and got nothing but a small amount of 100% sterile pollen, no beans.

The Hollywood PK herms like crazy though. The Nepali OG herms…

10 Likes

Funny you mention it because that’s the only one I don’t specifically recall hunting through, but it was in the OG room so I included it. Sharp.

They didn’t seem to throw loads of pollen, though a few seeds were found in product. Most threw so late that the seeds would never mature by chop.

10 Likes

Hm. Interesting. I didn’t have any issues with the Pure OG x 88G13HP, but I also wasn’t growing huge numbers haha. I didn’t have an issue with the one TK x OMG, either, but, again, it was just one plant. I did, however, have a HUGE problem when I grew a couple Black Triangles. Everything that round got heavily seeded, but I couldn’t say whether or not the Black Triangles were the culprit. At the time, I’d never had an issue at all, so I never even checked for intersex traits, no idea what seeded everything that round.

But those fucking Triple Goddesses… They’re the bane of my existence haha. I was actually thinking last night that I may get rid of the last TG plant; I just don’t feel like risking it. She’s sooooo bushy and “thick” that it’s kind of difficult for me to really get in there and see anything. That, coupled with my horrible eyesight and the fact that the other two were just covered in sacs, doesn’t really make me feel very comfortable.

I dunno. I’ve gotta water tomorrow, I’ll take a really good look and decide then. Maybe haha.

Edit: also, all four of the Banana Soap seeds were sprouting tails this morning, less than 24 hours after starting the soak. I’m gonna plant them later today, once the soil in the starter pots warms up a little bit. It’s cold today!

12 Likes

It sucks they hermed out! Honestly, I think it’s a risk with any breeder/cross, it’s impossible to know the outcome when making the cross, even if using super stable parents. I know bodhi usually tests his lines with community testers, but he seems to have slowed that down, or stopped all together (probably cuz people weren’t doing any “testing” and instead were holding “tester” packs for auction later, or for whatever nefarious purpose). I wonder if some of his later crosses didn’t get as much feedback as his earlier ones? When were those Triple Goddess seeds released?

Also, I know you mentioned you’re running your lights during the day now… and I only say this because I’ve done it to myself twice now… have you gone in the grow room at night to make sure the lights are going off at the right time, no timer issues, and there’s no crazy light leaks anywhere? I’d suspect you’d see other plants herming in the same space, but you never know…

Nice! Those should be a solid replacement!

12 Likes

Pretty sure that’s the dude behind Oregon Elite Seeds. Coincidentally or not, I saw on IG the other day that Prof P got stiffed for his last seed supply at OES like a year ago so OES is no longer a verified vendor for Dynasty or Relic seeds. Seems like OES blew a bunch of cash on berner cds when he should have been paying his vendors.

10 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t gotten a tester list email thing in years, so it’s possible they weren’t tested, but I do think that cross was made back when Bodhi was still being good about that. I mean, it is a Snow Lotus cross, so you gotta figure it’s at least, what? Four years old? Five? I bought my packs like three years ago, I think.

I mean, I haven’t since the first day I set up the new timer. Either the cord to the light or the old timer itself shorted, totally melted the cord to the AT600, but for some reason the light kept turning on and off when it was supposed to; I could smell an electrical short for three days before I figured out the problem haha, coulda burned down the house. That was before I even flipped, though. I’m pretty certain they’re turning on and off when they should be, but I’ll check again tonight. I can also “hear” the lights when they’re running and I haven’t heard them running when they’re not supposed to be, so…

Definitely no light leaks, I’m not worried about that at all. It’s pitch black outside when the lights turn off at 7:30pm and the sun doesn’t make it up over the trees on the east side of our house before the lights turn on at 8am. I check the gorilla tape that I have covering the little lights on the timers and the power strip in the tent every night when I close it, too, not worried about that, either.

I think it’s just a shit cross. It pains me to say that haha, but yeah, I’m pretty sure it’s just a dud. I still have like 19 seeds of it, though, so… hahaha!!!

See? This is why people should wait until motherfuckers actually GROW and LOG shit before everybody starts clamoring for and hyperventilating over every new seed release and buying up every pack before anybody’s even seen the plants. Not that the Triple Goddess is new or anything, I’m just sayin’…

That’s funny. I mean, it’s shitty stiffing your vendors, but still… It’s kind of funny. I’ve never ordered from Oregon Elite, something about the process weirded me out whenever I’d look at their listings, can’t remember what it was now, but yeah, fuck that.

12 Likes

Best I can figure is Triple Goddess was released either late 2017 or early 2018. It should have been adequately tested prior to release based on that timing. Or at least B should have had some indication from the testers that did run and report whether there was any sexual instability found.

10 Likes

I was reading a bunch of people talk shit about OES the other day on reddit too… definitely wouldn’t trust them now.

Yeah, I’m not doubting B’s testing or anything, pretty sure he has a trusted inner circle that is doing some of that for him now, and he may be doing a bunch of it himself with the stuff out at Haze Valley.

haha, whoops! Yeah, that’s never a good smell when you’re running grow… I’ve melted an improperly wired outlet at my last place… scared the shit outta me, and that smell is burned into my brain, makes me go in to full-on panic mode when I get a whiff now.

You’re probably right. Just post a picture of your pack in the Bodhi thread… I’m sure you’ll get some offers on it;) Better yet, you should put it up for auction on Instagram and say it’s rare, probably get $200 for the pack! J/K…

12 Likes

I mean to be fair, the gojis were tested for damn sure, and myself and others here have seen a bunch of herms in those.

9 Likes

You’re not lying there… it’d work for sure :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah, one of my humidifiers shorted a while back, same thing, with the melted cord and all that. I’d had the timer that my light was plugged into for so long, like eight years haha, that it didn’t even occur to me that that’s where the most recent short coulda been, but after three days I was like,”Okay, something isn’t right here…” I actually thought it was maybe the plants for the first two days haha! That classic “electrical short” smell that the Triple Goddess is known for… haha.

Especially after all of the glowing things I’ve had to say about those plants… haha.

I always just speculated that that was why people posted their packs on that thread, but do you think that’s really what they’re doing? They’re really selling those seeds via OG? I thought that wasn’t allowed.

13 Likes

Yeah, it’s definitely not a new release. I know the Bodhi stuff I’ve bought in the last two years and the Triple Goddess packs weren’t one of them.

9 Likes

Sorry to hear about your shit luck with the herms! :frowning: But, we’re maybe in luck going forward because I think scientists may have discovered why we’re all experiencing more self-pollination:

https://nph.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nph.19422

Essentially, loss of habitat, use of pesticides/herbicides, and other environmental pressures have been shown to cause a 27% increase in hermaphroditic behavior in as few as 20 generations of some species of wildflowers/plants. Fascinating…and really, really fast evolution.

:peace_symbol: :rainbow:
:sun_with_face:

11 Likes

Well, we’re only “in luck” if the population of plant pollinators increases, though, right? Haha. I’m pretty sure the pollinator population is continuing to dwindle, but I dunno for certain. I mean, scientists may have figured out the reason for selfing, but if nothing is done to correct it then it’ll just continue to get worse. I think?

I dunno how that applies to indoor-grown cannabis, but I’ve definitely been wondering why it seems like so many of us here on OG seem to be finding more herms than “usual.” Also, I didn’t finish the article haha, but I will.

Anyway, I finally tied down the two tall Franco’s Lemon Cheese x NL5 Haze/Sensi Star plants today:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That’s the tallest one in the front, the #3 plant; the #4 is in the back right-hand corner, you can’t even really see her in the pic, but she’s just a little bit “better.” I’m assuming that they’ll sort of “correct” themselves and start reaching for the light, straighten themselves out, whatever, over the course of the next couple days and then I’ll be able to rearrange the pots in a more advantageous manner. It’s chaos in the tent right now, though haha!

Also, I reeeeallllyyy checked the #2 Triple Goddess plant and I didn’t see anything, so she’s still alive for now. Maybe that’s what people should look for in that line, is the ones that herm early haha.

The Wat Pho #2 almost definitely got pollinated by one of the fucking Triple Goddesses I removed. There are a LOT of withered pistils on her, big-time bummer. Nothing else looks like they got hit, though. And both of the Wat Phos smell sooooooo good, very fruity (total papaya for sure right now, although I’m certain that’ll change), sweet, tropical… Delicious. That’s gotta be coming from the Temple mom.

Anyway, I’ll take individual plant pics in a few days, I just wanted to get that one pic of the bent Cheese/Haze plants up now, before they straighten themselves out haha.

17 Likes