Bonsai Mom help

I’m hoping to get some suggestions or answers. I’m trying to do the whole bonsai moms thing, and have run into a few hiccups along the way. The back two, haze (left) and blackberry gum stunted and I think I corrected the mistakes I made. The diesel seedlings I popped after, are all doing ok. The haze keeps drooping like this after two days or so. I watered/fed them all 11/7. By yesterday evening haze started to droop. When I do water, it droops worse…the others don’t. It does always recover, and I think I’m over the hump…I haven’t done anything yet today.

6 Likes

Your roots are getting too big for the pot and its getting pack d in the pot most likely.If you can pop off the pot and get a look at the rootball if its getting pretty packed in there you have two choices either up pot to a bigger pot which defeats the purpose of a bonsai mom or you could comb the rootball and massage out the root ball so it’s gathered the long way and straighten it out and cut a third of the rootball tips off and trim it up and Repot back into same pot Plant will be pissed for a couple days but it will live better than getting rootbound and going down the path of a Nutrient lockout and water deficiencies.

11 Likes

Very wise advice right there :facepunch:t2: @CapnCannabis much respect

2 Likes

Thank you! Will do.

1 Like

Nice to have people help out. All the best mate.

3 Likes

Rootbound needs more toe space.

1 Like

If the roots aren’t filing the pots completely then you’re possibly over watering and having root rot. If you’re root bound already (kinda the point of bonsai) then you’ll have to increase frequency and prob strength of feed. Those aren’t moms yet either, cutting them back and let them grow out repeatedly will also keep it growing without as much need to build roots.

4 Likes

Thank you. I trimmed both in the back, and watered after. They both drooped some, but look better than ever today.

4 Likes

She looks 110% better.With a Haze i know they can be leggy and with legs come long roots that like to ball up.Like @Seamonkey84 said you will also have to begin trimming up top at some point to offset future rooth depth complications when they catch up and heal up from the trimming its going to take about 2 weeks till she catches up so be awfully patient and leave her be.Also if they throw a hissy fit at all tune the lights down a small touch like almost barely noticeable in difference it will help out so they dont have a freak out.They look good so id LITFA and keep an eye on them.Your doing a great job keep up the Hard work.- Capn-

1 Like