Breeding and Legal Legislation

Hello everyone,

A bit confused…and apologies for any silly question I could raise.

Let’s assume I could grow legal for example, in some country where 4 plants or more are permitted for personal use. ( Canada, Spain for example)
How can I do breeding legally? Can I actually? Or for breeding or I am an industrial producer with license or I will still be an underground hacker?

Thanks for any clarification

4 Likes

Howdy @Rhizome, if you can grow more than 4 plants I would suggest keeping population sizes as close to a minimum of 30 for your breeding efforts whenever possible.

Breeding isn’t necessarily about the numbers because great plants can be found and utilized even if only one seed is started. It mostly comes down to potential. Sort of like have you given enough chance for the genetics to express themselves for you to select from. Finding valuable traits in a group of 30 plants should be easier than finding the same traits in just one seed.

If there is a real passion for the work and plants, I don’t think the number of plants determine hack or not. To me a hack is just someone chucking pollen or creating seeds without much passion. They just make something to sell on the market. If you have a genuine passion, you are breeding and not a hack in my opinion. The amount of plants or the scope of the work irrelevant at that point. Looking into the progeny and growing the resulting seeds is a lot more than many current breeders selling seeds in the market today are doing.

The use of many individual plants in a breeding scheme can most certainly be useful but doesn’t guarantee anything. This is where the art of breeding and the energy of the breeder and their heart comes into play I think.

Some humans just have that touch with cannabis, where they make great stuff and find the great selections even within less than “ideal” breeding techniques. Like attracts like, great attracts great in my opinion. Wishing you well in your breeding efforts. I’m looking forward to reading the perspective of other members on this topic. Thanks for making the post and asking the question. Hope you’re having a nice day. Many blessings and much love

11 Likes

Here you can get a licence.

Or you can just break the law.

I know people who do both.

10 Likes

I think growing/breeding plants, is not a whole lot different from people who breed let’s say dogs. You have 2 types of breeders. The puppy mills that have an all kinds of dogs, kept in horrible conditions, pumping out as many puppies as possible no matter the outcome just to make a buck This is a “ hack “ in my opinion.

Then you have people that breed Animals, that take great care in what is being produced. They check the genetics of both parent first, that is love for the breed. And laws are great necessary, but a piece of paper does not make anyone special. There are plenty of hacks with a license lol.

Forgive my rambling I’m let’s say lifted after my wake and bake session.

Hope you all have a great Friday!

6 Likes

Hemp is the US solution.

3 Likes

Many thanks all for your answer.
As usual I guess i didnt express myself correctly and formulated the question mesleading.

I was just curios to figure it out if in legal countries for personal use only it is possible breeding.

I recon someone telling me an hystory of someone in Netherlands requesting to breed for scientific or cultural reasons and receiving the permission to grow more than 4 plants.

Not sure if this is true, but still considering ( imagining i am in Spain with 4 plants permitted).

I assume I will still be persecuted legally if i were found with 30 plants ( which in my opinion are still a very reduced number for population selection on traditional breeding strategies).

In Canada i assume the same…you can grow legally few plants but breeding will be still illigal?

Tx

4 Likes

I don’t really understand the question, or I understood it until Spain came into the picture.

So this is what I know about the EU scene.

Spain is not a country which cannabis is legal, it’s a country where it’s tolerated upon and it have a very wide spread use of cannabis. That way you can get away with a whole lot more then in any other EU country as a single individual.

But if you want a whole breeding operation and start a company that’s main purpose is to breed cannabis. I would opt for Portugal, it’s very easy to setup as a company and get permission to grow. This is why for example, Cookies used Portugal to produce flower for mainly the UK medical market, but also rest of the EU scene.

Another option is to start a cannabis club in Germany and have the seed company on the side. Produce the seeds at the club since you’re not allowed to make profit and sell them at the normal bird seed deluxe company where you have no restrictions on profit.

Pz :v:t2:

5 Likes

Hey @Rhizome . If you can legally grow cannabis in your country you can legally pollinate and grow seeds. Is that what you are wondering?
:v::canada:

4 Likes

Thanks

If I am in Canada as normal citizen for personal use and not other purpose. Can I grow let’s say 100-200 plants ( for breeding ) in one go?
If i get catch what will happen?

2 Likes

Lets take Spain.
I understood that 4 plants per person are permitted in Spain. 4 plants are tollerated but more are a crime and you can get persecuted. Is this correct?

1 Like

In Canada, you can’t no grow that number of plants without a license

In Spain it’s all about the region. They have decriminalized small about of cannabis use in private spaces. It’s also decriminalized to grow limited(region specific) amount of plants in your private space.

Nothing is actual legal in Spain, there just isn’t a punishment for lower amounts of weed.

Nothing commercial regarding weed is allowed in Spain either.

Pz :v:t2:

1 Like

I’m not an expert but in Canada you can get a dr note and then a licence for a great many plants. Can’t say if it’s 100 but it’s enough to do some good scale breeding if you want.

I don’t think it’s very difficult provided you can follow some rules.

Someone with a licence will surely chime in.

3 Likes

Thanks all for the clarifications.

1 Like