Buddertons Tomfoolery

Good morning everyone.
Hope you all have a safe, happy, healthy and prosperous New Year

10 Likes

This got me thinking. I wonder if it would be possible to vac seal some cuts and pasteurize them in a water bath with an immersion circulator at a low enough temp to not damage them. I know with food if it’s sealed and you cook it for long enough it has a longer shelf life in the fridge unopened than if the same thing was in a bag or saran wrapped.

I know the pasteurization time gets way longer as the temp goes down. I was trying to find some info but I can’t find anything below 131f. I was thinking 90f or something. I guess I might have to break out the modernist cuisine book and try to find the chart because I’m pretty sure that one went way lower. I wonder if doing something like that could kill some mold spores from the air/ on the cuts and help them last longer? Or would the lack of oxygen fuck them up?

I use this technique to pasteurize eggs. 131f for 2 hours and they’re still raw texture but can be used to make dressings etc safely.

Edit: Oh and Happy New Year to everyone. :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

3 Likes

Right on EG! Happy New Year to you and the fam!! Here’s to a prosperous and healthy 2024!!
:grin::v:

1 Like

Not sure @neogitus . I only have experience pasturizing chopped straw, for mushrooms, and that’s at a way high temp. I’ve found that I am lazy and just stick to the same old, cut em and stick em in a bag because it’s fast and easy and I’m a lazy stoner. I’m happy with a 6-10 wk delay. By then I usually know which ones I wanna run with.
I do think it’s a valuable proposition and could see it being useful to store cuts for months at a time. I would be very interested in your results. I’d like to see tissue culture made easy, for the average home grower but most of us don’t have laminar flow hoods and such.( I wish!)

4 Likes

I wonder if running a pro guard in a random room would be enough to let you work with TC in a well sealed room without worrying about contamination. According to the company some people use it for mycology work without flow hood/ still air box but I still always take it with a grain of salt because they sell the product.

https://innovative-solutions.org/product/defender-dxm-mini-with-bpi/

If i ever get around to trying to pasteurization I’ll be sure to share my results, although I’m a lazy stoner too :crazy_face:

1 Like

@neogitus there’s a separate thread with a heatless sterilization tek that has allowed cuts to remain viable for several months, if you’re seeking a longer term solution

8 Likes

Awesome post @Budderton will definitely be trying this. Seems better than trying to find a spot for a bunch of solos for a “maybe”.

3 Likes

Also scroll waaaaaaaaaay up toward the top of this “Tomfoolery” thread for more info on the “Budderton Fridge Cut Method” :wink::+1::+1:

It’s a method that I have succeeded and failed at, and there is a seemingly large margin of error because the idea is to bag it & leave it alone; if you think about it, all other methods of cloning or plant preservation require at least periodic inspection or maintenance. Therefore, the “Fridge Cut Method” while quite ingenious, is not for the faint of heart because it’s very much a “hail mary” hoping the cuts will still be viable in x weeks or months.

4 Likes

Something to definitely try.

2 Likes

I did a 4 week fridge store that worked fine and a 6/7 week that failed.

2 Likes

I was a little skeptical when I read 7-8 wks flower time on these Blueberry Cupcake but low and behold, here’s one at 7 wks. The taller, rangier ones are not far behind. Seed from @GlassJoeGrows

And this Capjunky S1 is at 5 wks and really starting to pile on the trichs. Seed from @LoveDaAutos

And here’s a unique look up a forearm sized Squirrel Tail cola. Doesn’t look that big from here. Seed from @Tlander

Happy New Year.
:v::canada:

39 Likes

Beauty bro! Glad to see the ST put on some bulk for you! Some more beans are packin’ their :handbag: and headed your way! Please snap me a few more pics of the whole plant before harvest please! Really interested to see how it performs ‘indoors’!

:call_me_hand:

7 Likes

This is gonna get wild!!!

14 Likes

Friggin awesome!!! That turnaround after a few hours in water is nothing short of incredible! Out of likes.

4 Likes

I shoved a :heart: in there for ya. Happy New Year. :grin:

2 Likes

Michigan Mouth, at 7 1/2 wks of 11/13, starting to chunk up. Doesn’t smell like much yet.
:v::canada:

33 Likes

Nice, is it Pure Michigan x ?

2 Likes

Cherry Pie Breath x Mendo Breath. The cookiest of the cookies. Was a Thug Pug thing.
:cookie::grin:

11 Likes

Shes a beaut!

Send me your addy again!

1 Like

Working more cookies stains?

2 Likes