Budlets - What to do with a baby in flower?

I took a cutting from the bottom of one of my plants when it was starting to go into flower, and stuck it into soil on a whim. The cutting took root, and has a few cute little buds getting frosty now. My question: What can be done with this plant?

The mother this was taken from has been harvested, and its smoke is surprisingly potent. :star_struck: If possible, I’d like to keep it going and get some more.

What should I do to accomplish that? I’ve read a little about re-vegging, but don’t really know whether that’s even possible at this stage. Will this little flower baby just naturally expire, or is there something I can do to help it re-emerge and grow into a full-sized plant?

Thanks for your help!

4 Likes

It looks fairly far along but that doesn’t mean you can’t at least attempt a re-veg. Some plants are less cooperative than others, but it’d probably be successful. Certainly worth a go.

5 Likes

My plan, at this point, is to up-pot it into a 1/2 gallon pot with good vegetating soil, and stick it under 18:6 lighting. Should I clip anything off it it? Or do anything else to encourage it?

3 Likes

I’m not super skilled in re-veg tactics but I’m here for it. It’s a gorgeous little window baby. Pretty sure people would take that top bud site and then let it sit, but again, I’m not skilled and have only revegged two plants that for me I just sort of forgot about for a few months until they were growing normally.

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I’ve revegged from full on flower, but yeah, I’d take off the larger flowers (maybe leave the tiny bottom one) and leave all the leaves of course… and then plain old fingers-crossed waiting.

4 Likes

I’ve seen/read posts where people have re-vegged a plant whose roots are already well established. That seems to be the more common route. @DougDawson has a post from '22 where he did that.

This little girl has tender little roots. I wonder if that’s an advantage or disadvantage.

1 Like

Keep it under 18/6 to 24/0 on/off lighting and it should eventually start throwing weird single blade leafs and then full on veg mode after that.

It can take a couple months sometimes so be mindful of mold.

I’ve also seen plants that, once flower is started, they will NOT reveg under any circumstances. They will just continue to flower out and finish up.

7 Likes

Thanks Buddy! I’ve been watching those little buds develop, with an eye toward using them – if possible. …Wasn’t sure whether it was better for the plant’s health to pick 'em off or let Nature take her course.

@HolyAngel and others has some great advice here.
You will need to remove the large flower, and then the smaller ones as they start to die off from re-vegitation.
This will take some time and patience, but totally doable. I’ve done many times.
Here’s a great tutorial for ya. :wink:

3 Likes

There is many way to do it at this stage, let’s throw my 2 cents :

• blast her with as much light you’re able to give, type doesn’t matter but the density.
  • zero night until you see the first “mono-blade” popping all around the buds and from it.
  • blast her with high N soup, cut everything else to strict minimal levels
  • don’t transplant until it’s restarted, or the plant will use all its low level of auxins to make root instead restarting to veg. waste of time.
  • the time needed depend on the backbone of the strain, there is no real universal time in the facts.
  • when the plant restart to veg, she have a fucked phyllotaxy. Prune progressively the “mono-blade” from bottom to the top, at the rhythm of the new “true leaves”. It decrease drastically the time of the “recovery”.

And good luck, off course. Next time, keep some pollen stored aside … in case of. It took 8 years lol,
but it’s now a good habit that OGers pushed me to adopt.

5 Likes

Here ya go! :slightly_smiling_face:
I dug up some old pics of a few clones that I took from flowering plants. Notice the smooth single blade leaves?
This is several weeks after the initial cloning.

Now I know that I got more pics somewhere…
:thinking:

6 Likes

Whoa!!! Very cool! That doesn’t even look like cannabis. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Excellent rundown. Thank you!

2 Likes

Good stuff here too. Thanks @blowdout2269 ! I used to read a lot on Grow Weed Easy. Haven’t been back there since registering here, but that is a good resource.

2 Likes

Yeah, me2.
GWE used to be my home base.
Though I haven’t been back since I settled in at OG.
The forums are decent, but kinda dead. There is also a small amount of negativity there too. You don’t find that here at OG very often at all.
Though the site itself does still have some great tutorials.

I love the community here, wholeheartedly.
:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yep. Here we have the “Fellowship of the Flower.” :green_heart: :green_heart: :green_heart: :green_heart:

3 Likes

up-pot
24 hour light
clip nothing off
be patient

2 Likes

Never knew this about the single blades. That almost doesn’t even look like a camnabis plant. Neat, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Yeah, they look crazy.
Zero serrations on the single leaf blades at first.
You’re welcome!
:smiley:

2 Likes

Today, the baby flower starts her journey to new life. (He wrote, hopefully.)

I’ll document her progress here as she grows anew. …Or fades into mush, to be turned back into soil to nourish her future cousins.

Starting from here (with a photo showing the bottom little budlet, which wasn’t easy to see in the previous photo):

The buds were surprisingly greasy/sticky, considering their diminutive size. I snipped all of them off, leaving all the fan leaves. These baby buds will go into a tiny brown glass jar used to store weed that’s already dried; the goal being to allow them to dry slowly. Nothing goes to waste around here if I can help it.

Because the original pot is so tiny, I decided to go ahead and give her a little more room. I realize this adds another variable into the equation, but I also wanted to get her into fresh soil with some mycorrhizae.

The deed is done.

In her new home, she has a companion: Catnip. (Our kitty likes to get high too! :heart_eyes_cat: ) This is not my normal grow light. It’s a “HydroFarm” I’ve borrowed from Mrs. GreenJeans, which uses a 24 watt T5 fluorescent. I have a couple of LED strip lights strapped to either side, which provide a combination of red and blue wavelengths. The T5 will be on for 20 hours at a time, and the LEDs will run continuously.

Wish me luck! And thanks, again, for the helpful suggestions.

4 Likes