What to do with 2 'extra' clones that are making me look bad?

I had to buy a minimum of 5 clones when I started my hydro experiment. I only had room in the grow tent for 3 of them, so I have two that were ‘extra’.

At first, I left them in the tent with the others and just put them into 1/2 gal DIY, cheepo hempy buckets filled with perlite, but when I started the scrog screen there was no room for the extras. I tried giving them away, but no one wanted them. I had almost killed them early on, and after they recovered so nicely, I just couldnt bring myself to toss them.

So, I stuck them in my bath room and left them mostly alone other than an occasional watering from the hydro rez. I figured if they died, oh well, at least I didnt toss them in the trash without giving them some chance! :slight_smile:

The lighting in the bathroom is very weak compared to a grow tent, but it stays on almost 24 hrs a day. I pulled them from the grow tent about 10 days after switching to 12/12, and they had just started to form bud sites.

Its been about 10 days in the bathroom now and the darn things are mocking me! These stupid things refuse to die! In fact, they are growing (slowly), and they look almost as good as the clones in my hydro setup!

This is enough to make me wonder why anyone does fancy, complicated, expensive hydro setups when a simple poor mans hempy bucket does just as well - with a LOT less effort. Like 98.5% less effort!!

Anyway, these girls have thoroughly bashed my ego, but now I really cant bring myself to toss them out. The question is - what to do with them?

Im wondering if they will eventually re-veg if I leave them with the very weak lights on close to 24 hrs/day? If so, maybe they will live long enough for me to take some clones. Ive been wanting to try that, but it will have to wait till this fall.

Unless someone has some other suggestions, Im just going to keep doing what Im doing (occasional watering and lots of LITFA) and see how they do.

6 Likes

They would reveg with a little light and water.

If i have clones i cant use yet i just keep topping/super cropping them once they get too tall. Makes it bushy by the time i can use it.

4 Likes

Was gonna ask, can you keep clones going or make a mother plant?

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I will keep that in mind if they survive - which it looks like they will :slight_smile:

Im going to just leave them alone for now and see what happens. It will be very cool if they do re-veg.

A question just occurred to me - if you top/super crop too much dont you run the risk of hermie?

Are you talking about chain cloning vrs having mother plants? It occurs to me I dont really know whats involved in keeping a mother. I assume it would be no different from regular growing in veg?

If I understand chain cloning, its just taking a new clone near the end of the veg cycle? I would need some way to keep it alive until the flowering cycle was over, so Im back to a clone space, right?

As far as a clone space, I dont really have room for a dedicated clone space unless its very small - maybe 1.5ftx1.5ftx3ft at the very most.

These particular clones probably are not the best choice for me to get started with. They are Blue Dream and they are supposed to grow to over 6 ft.

On the other hand, if these girls continue to buck the odds, and dont die, I will be in the clone business by default I guess :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Window sills are a fine place to root cuttings.

3 Likes

plant them outside. outdoors outdoor outside.

1 Like

could you put em outside for the summer?

2 Likes

It shouldnt. Ive never had a problem with it. Just make sure to not do all that in flower or to soon before flower.

2 Likes

I live in a legal state, but in order to grow legally, I need to “register”. I would prefer not to do that. I have too many neighbors who live too close. A couple of them are the nosy, busy-body types, and my yard has no private areas and no fencing, so outside growing or window sills are not a good option.

Ah, thanks for that info!

1 Like

If the clones were small, a 5 gallon bucket and a cheap socket led light would work(just dont park the bucket in full sun. You can get a clamp light at lowes/homedepot for under 10 bucks.
I generally keep my clones on the outskirts of my grow area, anywhere i can squeeze a pot into

1 Like

I have spare lights and timers and mounts, etc, but both of these babies are already too big to fit in a 5 gal bucket. They are about 2 ft tall and around 16" wide and have a LOT of growing still to do.

If Im going to do this right, I guess I have to take the time to actually make a space for them where I can control things like light, heat etc a little better. After I get them to re-veg, I guess I can work on height control. Going to have to see what I can come u with for a practical space…

1 Like

I rigged up some extra light for them that will stay on 24/7 for now. They are still in the bath tub until I can do some remodeling in the grow room to make a space.

I was just looking closely at them and they have definite bud sites on both. They are not actual buds yet, but they are lighter color and look like they are about to start turning into buds.

My question is - should I trim those bud sites off or leave them if Im trying to re-veg them?

plant them outside.if it is not to late in the year depends on where you live and strain.

Hi there head. Outside is not an option where I live. I have no place to hide them from neighbors, kids. dear, and rabbits.

I ended up just leaving them in my bath tub - except when Im taking a shower. They have been in cheapo hempy buckets filled with perlite and sitting under 28 watts of screw in LED’s for the last three months or so. The darn things are doing great as long as I remember to water them once in a while :slight_smile:

I am surprised at how well they are doing with reduced light and occasional watering.They are growing larger, but very very slowly. I do have to be careful not to put them near a window or skylight when I take them out of the bathroom. They grew almost 3" in 1/2 a day when I left them in the kitchen for most of a day under a skylight!!

Im liking this neglect technique for keeping mothers over time. Its a bit of trouble having to move them every day to use the tub, but not that bad.

I am using them as mothers now to practice cloning until the weather cools off enough for me to start my next grow.

1 Like