BUILD A SOIL Build A Soil feedback thread

I recently switched to organics and use BAS everything. It’s readily available at my local hydro shop and, growing in earth boxes, I don’t need a huge volume of soil anyway. I like the pumice, but I have no idea whether it actually makes a difference in quality of the soil vs. similar sized perlite.

The only amendments I have are craft blend, build a flower top dress, and gnarly barley. Is the gnarly barley really just malted grain? Because if so the $18/2 lb. I paid at the hydro shop is ridiculous. Basic 2 row malted barley was under $2/lb when I was homebrewing a lot 5 years ago.

3 Likes

All yall getting BAS at your local shops are blessed. Im in the Bay Area. C’mon man. Does anyone know a Bay Area shop with BAS products?

Thanks

Pumice is better because it doesn’t breakdown like perlite. That’s why we use that or lava rock for no-till scenarios.

3 Likes

Im South Bay as well, I havent seen any. You can score Pride Lands Veg/Bloom which is a better blend for right about 30 bucks for 5 lbs OTD. RASA hydro. Even that brand with the happy little scarecrow dude is gonna get it done a lot cheaper.

1 Like

I just got back into growing this past year and the organic options are so much simpler and even higher quality.

I use a bag of Happy Frog and amend with craft and their mineral mix. The craft lacks a little bit on the mineral side of things. So the mix adds some gypsum, oyster shell, and basalt. Their castings are a little expensive so I outsource those. But Im sure their price is justified.

I also use their pumice and big 6.

Plants are flawless. Not really sure what else I could ask for.

Id like to start adding some stuff to test. But I think I pretty much have every base covered with just this regimen.

1 Like

Are you reusing your soil?

Im a bit ocd so no not yet. But I do have it stored away for the future possibly.

2 Likes

They offer free shipping for most stuff if you buy 2+ items.

I bought FFOF 6 years ago. Used it as is a few runs with top dressing. Then mixed in pumice, lava rock, and rice hulls. That was like 4 years ago. When a plant is done I chop close to the soil and leave the stalk to decompose. Then pop a new plant next to the decomposing stalk or put the plant in an empty pot if I have one available which I usually do. Super easy for my lazy ass.

1 Like

Gnarly Recipe:

50% Organic Non GMO Malted Barley - 2 Row

30% Organic Non GMO Sprouted Heirloom Corn

20% Organic Non GMO Sprouted Lentil Seed

NOTICE: Best used freshly ground. I like to use a Bullet style Blender but any method of grinding will increase the surface area and help the soil biology break it down fast.

I used to home brew and had similar thoughts about sourcing my own. Not sure where to find organic sprouted lentil seeds, but the 2-row and the corn shouldn’t be difficult.

4 Likes

Seems like a quarter cup of lentils in a cup of water for a day would do it. Maybe soak in LABS and improve the recipe🤷🏿

My experience with Cannabis stuff the price is always a better in person. Might even find a hustler owned shop offering cool deals. You know the warehouses with no price tags.

Peace

1 Like

Yeah I see what you mean.

I was getting bags of fox farm for half the price thats online. Theyve been there for like 15 years. The second I get up and running again they shut down.

:slightly_smiling_face:yay

2 Likes

Agree. Im down to a bare bones mix. HPCC, Black Kow, and DtE 4-6-2. Plants look happier than they ever did in a store bought premix

2 Likes

I agree. I have made my own in Europe, far from the US and Canada, where he sells his products, and I have gotten awesome results reproducing his approach. Pumice and rice husks have been great for aeration and the neem cake has been great to ward off or kill or potential pests (which are usually a worry with Living Soil). I probably spent like 200 euros and I´ve got a very happy garden.

1 Like