BUILD A SOIL Build A Soil feedback thread

I really like their top dress. I also buy a lot of my soil amendments from them. I know they are not the lowest prices, but I only need fairly small amounts. The main thing is that I trust BAS. They use their own products, they do heavy metal testing, and the owner seems like a good person in their videos.

2 Likes

New customers can go through this link and get $10 off.

2 Likes

Personally from talking to them onbthe phone, and watching him on podcasts and such, ive realized Jeremy is a pompous asshole. That’s putting it mildly.

I didn’t think this at first, thought it was a down to earth company.

I have easily 2k in bas stuff, nothin wrong with the product, other than being Way way overpriced. But convince factor is there if you’re after all in one shop for coots mix.

But after talking to them, they’re full of a lot of bro science to support Thier narrative that Even they contradict themselves with.

Support someone who would at least piss on you to put you out if you were on fire.

2 Likes

Not 100% but untrained astronaut just joined build a soil he prolly has a 15% off code on his youtube now.

Honestly it was your experience that inspired this thread. Can you please give more details on the bro science. Thanks.

The only way I’m spending 2k on soil is if I’m buying an acre.

6 Likes

No shit, wow

1 Like

Watched most of the coots mix video yesterday, planned to go back and finish it today.

Thats a $2k kit?

1 Like

$2k is a bit… much.

They have a mineral and amendment kit for $120. You supply the 6cf compost, 6cf aeration and a 3.8cf bale of peat(fluffs to 6cf) and you got 18cf of soil. With their new shipping scheme, add a second item from the “2item freeshipping” and have it shipped to your door for maybe $150.

Compost is free, you don’t need pumice or rice hulls for aeration. I used a combo of volcanic rock, pumice, perlite and biochar. It was cheap as heck and serves it’s purpose perfectly. So lets say you’re not good at sourcing your materials and have to buy things like the compost. what would be reasonable? $200-300?

So, theoretically $350-450 bucks for 18cf of quality soil that you know exactly what’s in it.

On amaz a 1.5cf bag of Roots 707 is… $33. You would need 12 bags for 18cf and that’s roughly $400. It does not qualify for free shipping.

So yeah… far shot from $2k.

I think the biggest take away from his videos is that you choose a method and stick with it. Bruce Lee said something along the lines of “Take that which has value and discard the rest”. He may be pushing extra and new products but, as folks have mentioned here, you don’t NEED to buy that extra crap.

4 Likes

That’s far more reasonable.

2 Likes

There was some earlier discussion re: customer support here:

2 Likes

Yeah man that’s exactly what I tell people… 5 years ago I got trained as a Master Gardener primarily just to further my knowledge of cannabis and plants as a whole. Build a soil YouTube is helpful but there’s plenty of education out there you just have to apply yourself. Even some simple crap like Jorge Cervantes and grow weed easy can provide a jump start for new growers. There are many different ways to produce quality flower and that’s mostly why we grow right? The one thing that bothers me is newer growers feeling the need to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on name brand top of the line equipment. Completely unnecessary

3 Likes

I feel like they’re marketed clicked bait that appeal to growers that don’t know better.

2 Likes

I just did the math. I’ve spent $2376 there since I started growing in 2018. My last order was just a few month ago. I ordered the Rootwise 8oz Combo. I wanted to try the Bio Phos because I often develop P deficiency in mid-late flower. Shit was expensive but it was cheaper there than anywhere else I could find it.

Haven’t done the math but these may be cheaper options for flower

1 Like

Yooooo…my grow buddies use to use bokashi but never took the time to explain it to me

Can i get the HIGHschool version?

Forgive my old southern pot head mother in law, but she still asks “did ya bury a fish in there?”

Simple tricks like this a free and an easy start to home made nutes

I can tell you how i use it not why it works.

Sprinkled on top of the soil will do the trick. Made from LABS and grains iirc. Sprinkle not pour. With Gnarly Barley from BAS the fungal growth explodes. Hope that helps.

Peace

1 Like

I use both those too. I bought some of the Bloom Blend Kashi last time. The Gnarly Barley is good stuff. That’s something I’ll always use. I think I could notice a different when I started using it.

It had hemp seeds in it when they started making it but they took it out since sometimes they would sprout and then it could be confused with good weed.

1 Like

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxvF-sKV1EwxpJMziFVpzunaWNqzS-CL04?si=VqWNyw4mHZXxX0Aw