Bullskinners Redemption 2021: Journal of a Poor Dirt Farmer

Looking good and green.

3 Likes

@HaRdRoC it takes more for me then most…lol. seriously I have had terrible luck producing females, like I’d say 70% males and I’m hoping to get a few girls to spend a little time with this summer

@Chronickyle you never know, we just might be 3rd cousins twice removed on my mom’s side, you never know. I’m a pretty organic farmer, not very technical and like to find most my fertilizer right from the farm but of course do buy some supplies but hate to

Thanks @Donnie my plants about always look good and do good through veg, I credit it to all the free shit in my compost piles. They like all that nitrogen. One advantage to living on the farm

4 Likes

@Bullskinner yes being on a farm is great when it comes to our soil . Sure does save a chunk on the pocket book .

1 Like

Yea it has saved me a fortune in soil building. I have an unlimited supply of horse, sheep and a good source of rabbit. I’ve hauled many a load to enrich my gardens and grow spots. It all does wonders for the soil

5 Likes

Horse , cow, chicken, duck and rabbit here. I’ve wondered about using the water from my ducks swimming pool but haven’t tested it out with bag seed yet , But I plan too so I can see how hot it is

2 Likes

Oh yea I forgot the chickens. I mainly only put it on my garden where I’m planting sweet corn. It is hot :fire: shit…lots of nitrogen
I would definitely try the water out of a duck pond I don’t know how big it is but those small ones that get sloppy muddy would work on veg stage. I would start with only a cup or two in a 5 gallon bucket if it’s one of those. But if it’s a bigger pond you could dip right out of it possibly

2 Likes

I have a couple kiddie pools then I have a big 1k+ stock tank for them . There’s around 30 muscovy and they destroy a pool of water quick lol

1 Like

Oh yea @Donnie I know. I had 30 different at one time. I would go light on that. I had a neighbors muscovy hatch 17 ducklings by my pond last year…14 survived. Now there are a total of 17 out here that fly all over. I watched a pair go about a mile to the neighbors pond today. I would say before summer is over we will have at least 100 of them out here…I’ll have to go duck🦆hunting to thin on them

3 Likes

They are excellent broodies. They will multiply quick for sure. I pull a swift one on mine in the summer and have them hatch chicken eggs for me lol I have to take the chicks away tho. But I’ve been hatching since janurary so I may not have to hatch during the summer this year . Getting ready to test out germinating seeds in my cabinet incubator see how that goes with seed’s in a wet paper towel in a Tupper ware bowl with lid .

2 Likes

i never thought of that, that should work, if i didnt have eggs i might turn it down some but 98.6 with high humidity should pop them quick…I think, might be a little warm . i use to sell chicks and ducks at the flea markets.ive got a 600 chicken egg, auto turner cabnit incubator i dont use anymore. i use to keep it full this time of year…had a lot of fun doing that

2 Likes

I’d like one that big but my gqf sportsman hold’s 288 large eggs and that hatches more than I want/need to keep lol

2 Likes

I always wanted one of those, they are great incubators and about the right size.
Mine was actually a Kull egg cooler that came from Phizer back when they hatched chicks and raised them for testing. It had all the racks and came with chicken and quail egg holders and automatic turner. I pulled the cooling unit, rigged up electric for two 200 watt bulbs, put a fan and thermostat in it plus some pans of water. Works like a charm. If your ever out this way I’d make a guy a helluva deal. I dought I ever use it agian, it’s to big for just a few eggs

3 Likes

Sour Bluetooth male getting the ax today.

6 Likes

Also putting the chop on this Sunshine Daydream. The stable is getting some thinning agian today. I want these boys out of here!!!

9 Likes

@Bullskinner do your hens wait til 530 to lay and do it in a fire pit lol

13 Likes

She knows!! :exploding_head:

:+1: :laughing:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Haha that’s a new one for me… Mine have decided the middle of the coop floor is a good place.

3 Likes

I have some that use the coop floor, some the metal nest boxes, some the horses hay bale some in the barn , some try to hide in weeds and I’ve even recently understand an egg in a mud puddle after this last rain . Literally easter everyday around here. The guineas are a bit more secretive with their nest, I have yet to locate it .

3 Likes

No…that’s a new one there… :joy:. I have found eggs in strange places but never in a grill

4 Likes

I laughed talk about jumping out of the skillet into the fire, maybe it was self sacrifice due to the rooster in the background lurking

2 Likes