Can we talk spider mites?

I’ll share one from the past: I had used vx gas on the plants and swore I had killed all the little buggers, but since there was no way I could know…a month or so later, they re-surged in bloom.

3 Likes

the best one for most things were the black leaf 40

nicotine bombs, light them up and dead bugs

be safe and be well

Dequilo

1 Like

Stiggy, what I can tell you is I use sulfur burners to control powdery mildew. In my experience it doesn’t seem to do much for spider mites. :v:

4 Likes

The nuts part that people don’t understand is this…
I’ve investigated lots of grow rooms for contamination, often it’s the spider mite. They open with “well I sprayed with Avid, I want to know if the mites are gone” So I scan a few leaves to humor them and then I say they probably still have them because you can’t prove a negative. But…they don’t understand that? So I have to tell them I didn’t see anything, but the mites will likely be back in a few weeks.
“well I added neem oil to the roots, I don’t see any mites, are they gone?” Same concept right?
The reason I bring this up is because I’ve seen it happen so many times when they kill enough mites to make it seem like they died but they show back up. Hopefully it’s the end of grow room contamination scans…brrr scary shit.

4 Likes

hah hah I just remembered I did a scan last week on wonder woman’s plants. I’ll call them by dc comic names. She had 4 legal plants there growing in pots. I said “yo those plants got a bad case of the mites.” Wonder woman said that fucking batman had brought her those clones. Ugh and the Justice League is using hardcore poison on the plants, except when they stop spraying the mites re-surge. So… I gave my advice use a garden sprayer and really blast the plants. So look… here are the mistakes wonder woman made with the plants:

1. Got them from the Justice League who claim you can never run a grow without mites.
  2. Never checked for contamination
  3. Never decontaminated the clones.

She should have just contacted the Riddler, at least he’s mite free. This scenario with wonder woman and the justice league is a true story, names changed to protect the… lackadaisical. I have so many case studies on tap it’s insane. The fun part is tracking the origin of the outbreak!

2 Likes

Hey Y’all,
I just determined that what I thought was thrips are spider mites. Fuck! Any recommendations? I’m at 6 weeks of flower.

2 Likes

Photos? Topside and bottom-sides of affected leaves.

2 Likes

Hey @Northern_Loki ,
Thanks for moving my question to a more suitable thread. I should know better. Here are a couple pics.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Yeah, those are mites. Can’t tell which type but likely the two-spotted variety. I do see some webbing.

These don’t look too far from harvest, how long do you have to go approximately?

1 Like

I get my predators from natures good guys.

1 Like

These are Bodhi’s Peach Hp and should finish by about 9ish weeks.

1 Like

I’d order Doctor Zymes. Can be used up to harvest. Listed as safe for organic farmers.

2 Likes

I have some, but have been told to not spray anything this late in flower. Maybe diluted hydrogen peroxide?

1 Like

With conventional toxic insecticides it’s ofcourse a no-go.
But there appears to be nothing toxic about Zymes.
As the name suggests, it’s probably a solution with simply enzymes, they use it to clean machines in food factories. Our bodies are full of them.
It’s probably mainly citric acid, what they pass off as vitamin C. Chokes the insects.

I had a real fuck bad mite and whitefly infestation in 2 tents and didnt think id ever beat them but i managed to relatively easily. Even with my mite infested harvest hanging behind the main flower tent on pieces of twine. I was lucky this time that 2 tents harvested within a week of each other so i had a small window of downtime before i transplanted my vegged plants into them.

Here’s what I did:

Turned off all fans, pulled out all my DTW pots and bug-bombed the tent. We dont have the pyrethrum formula bombs available where I live, some shitty generic roach bomb so i fired off a few rounds in each tent

Bleached and sun-dried all the pots the sprayed down the surface with foliar mite spray (Dead Red)

Once the tents were cleared of fog I then sprayed down every single surface including my filter and (off) fans with the mite spray. Not the LEDs, though obviously

The vegging plants before transplant i did a moderate leaf strip and sprayed them with foliar mite spray checking very carefully every branch for bugs, i transplanted them into the flower tent and scrogged them I then gave them 2x applications of Azadirachtin drench about 4 days apart, both of which require a big flush after 24h.

Another week aftet transplant i gave the whole tent and foliage another dose of mite spray. I also hung a ridiculous amount of yellow bug strips under the scrog. Im now 5 weeks into flower and zero sign of mites or whiteflies, only some thrips stuck to the yellow stickies but looks like the mites are gone!

So youll need:

Bug bombs (i bought two 4packs)
Azadirachtin drench (came in a 20mL dropper bottle)
Dead Red or whatever Mite Spray you use
Bleach
Yellow bug sticky traps

@CrunchBerries
4 cups water
2 tablespoons of Tea Tree Castile Soap
2 tablespoons of Peppermint Castile soap
1/2 cup of 70% alcohol
1/2 tablespoon 1% Peroxide

Bye bye spider mites! :fire: :ant:

4 Likes

Is this recipe safe when I’m so late into flower?

2 Likes

It’s spider mites so you only have to spray the inner and lower parts and under leaves where spider mites hangout…but it should be fine to spray buds a little too, I do.

I haven’t had any problems. Jorge Cervantes straight washes his whole plant in a similar solution I’m pretty sure.

2 Likes

Every 2 days wash them thoroughly with the 360 spray setting with plain water, 3rd day use straight 3% hydrogen peroxide all over.

You don’t need Hydrogen peroxide, but just before the onset of flowering, make sure to put in 2 weeks of work of preparing all your plants, with a straight 3% hydrogen peroxide foliar spray twice a week. The rest use plain water. You can leave straight 3% on your plants for about 4 hours. Leaving it on there longer hours won’t hurt it with the pure 3% treatment.

I’m gonna start using a pressurized spray system to have a bette4 controlled spray for regular maintenance with plain water.

Plain water works great, and timing when to start washing everything is crucial, to prevent flowering pest from setting up breeding grounds.

When you spray right growing outdoors you’ll see lady bug eggs appearing to help you win the battle with pest.

1 Like