CANNA/HOPS Let’s grow it together

Here she is. I’ve dusted her with pollen on a couple of occasions and no signs of seed formation. I’ll let her go until mid/late September as i have other plants in the same space that will go that long. And then I’ll try and vape some and report back. If anyone has any male pollen and has enough to share, I’ll try and pollinate a PTK or BangiHaze and see if anything happens. The one i have in my veg tent is probably 8 feet long. It’s leaves are also turning brown and crispy and it’s starting to throw pistils in the darker areas of the tent.

8 Likes

I had 2 plants doing good until yesterday they got cooked by the sun . So I moved it in to complete shade but it doesnt look good :frowning: sorry . Fail for now

4 Likes

:frowning: too hot outside

5 Likes

I’n college my roommate and I grafted a hops plant to the base of MJ .
Grew did well
Was not physcoactive

3 Likes

I got one sprout but its clinging to life instead of growing. I should have helped the helmet off faster than I did. Still trying other small batches too, but nothin happening yet.

2 Likes

@Water The one i put outside got cooked as well, but came back to life. Then i accidentally chopped it as i was cutting back my cover crop. Oops :scream:
It’s a pretty resilient plant.

4 Likes

this branch is still alive so I hope it keeps going. The vine part of the plant is still very sturdy

8 Likes

I hope it’s a boy. :wink:

3 Likes

:flying_saucer::man_astronaut::flying_saucer::full_moon_with_face:

What’s going on with Legitimo?

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

@Kabuddha The one i had in my flower closet never produced any seeds, even though i tried to pollinate her with BangiHaze pollen several times. I know the pollen was good, as everything else in the closet produced seeds. I allowed her to fully mature and she is in my kitchen, and is fully dried on the vine. The one on my growth tent is still alive and has been producing flowers, but is slowly dying, probably from my russet mite issue. I will probably shut down all indoor growing for the winter, with the exception of a planned auto project. The Legitimo that’s outside is still alive, but hasn’t grown since i accidentally chopped her. She’s only about an inch or two in height.
I consider the project to be a bust. As you suggested, it may require Legitimo pollen hitting a cannabis female to produce seeds. I still have a few seeds left and may try again, and hope for male.

4 Likes

Legitimo sprouted and I can’t tell the gender. Hard to get a good picture, can anyone tell the gender here?

14 Likes

@Water That’s looking very nice. I’m guessing its female. :grinning:

4 Likes

I got 2 more sprouts, so we’ll see if they do better. What I got the first 2 times were very hard helmet heads. I didn’t get them off quick enough, and they struggled to open properly. I have another one like that this time, and one that looks better as its shed the seed coat already as its surfacing. When I saw the helmet last night I put a humidity dome over it, planning to take it and the seedcoat off in a couple hours and forgot. Hopefully I dont end up with them damping off, but I get that a lot with domes so I rarely use them except short term.
I got some pics tho. Those super long cotyledon leaves are rolled up in the seed. So they dont unravel well if the seed sticks to long. This one would have gotten a better start if I got it off last night. Kicking myself over that one.

This one is probably going to do better sense its coming up without the seedcoat

12 Likes

They are both growing slowly, but I seem to have made it thru the hardest part. If the storm doesn’t knock power out today or tomorrow, they’ll probably make it. If I get a pair I’ll make more seed, but I’m really after the hybrids personally. Hopefully some can take regular pollen. If theres a boy he’ll hit wedding cake too cause its my favorite plant. If they’re both girls, they’ll get pollen from a group of newberryXtangie backcrossed to tangie. Assuming I can manage to clone and or reveg them eventually, I may even try reversing a female at some point. Especially if they wont take regular pollen.

15 Likes

The way these come up reminds me of ABC. I’d love to see the results of Legitimo x ABC or ABC x Legitimo. Similar hoppy characteristics, seems like it is full of mysterious and weird potential.

6 Likes

@RandomHumanoid I hope you get a fertile male that makes buckets of pollen. :wink:

4 Likes

From my understanding these were accomplished via Somatic hybridization with protoplast fusion.

An absolutely crazy rabbit hole to jump down.

If only I had a lab capable of protoplast fusion - I’d love to play with genes at this level. I had found some scientific papers on the process at one time. Maybe I can find em again here.

Edit: google gives a few examples of procedures - here is a quick breakdown on YouTube to show the process of creating a hybridized plant with 2 parents which cannot hybridize via conventional breeding.

Edit again : if anyone knows some German - maybe this will give some further insight. This old dude uploaded a video of his harvest from these ‘thc laden hops’ I find all this stuff super interesting, had been on mission to get seeds myself. However I will enjoy a seat from here, just as much, watching this thread.

8 Likes

It seems like even if they had to do weird sciency stuff to get the hybrid, that it would hopefully then be able to be crossed somehow naturally sense it would have half cannabis genes. I got no lab, but I’ll try every way I can.

On the video, you can click CC for subtitles, then click the gear next to it for settings, and set an auto translate. I never knew that until just now. Maybe its a new feature. Pretty cool. Still a little hard to understand. I think thats just hops tho, not the hybrid. The buds look similar tho. Hopefully what we have isn’t just hops.

This video is of the same Legitimo created by Kaly. Also a CBD variety. Wild stuff.

It may be, with the right allele sets, dependant on specific genotypes - some pollen would take in the conventional way. The original cannabis parent was ‘Purple Star’ - maybe this plants DNA lineup may have more feasibility for further outcrosses? Spitting in the dark here on that.

Highly anticipating the outcome of some of these grows. Hops looking healthy crew, keep us posted on the failures and successes. These seeds have been around a while, not sure why there is no definitive tests on THC yet. I’m sure that would be big news which would spread pretty rapidly.

4 Likes

Well…

Sadly I must say these ‘hybrids’ have yet to exist as the claims made.

Someone has tested the hops harvested on a legitmo plant to have it come up negative. This is the definitive proof we all needed.

Legitmo = Legitnot

8 Likes