Cannabis Current Events (Part 2)

Didn’t we fight a war with England over tax stamps?

4 Likes

This, at least, seems encouraging:

“In an effort to address the bottleneck, the state (New York) is allowing direct grower-to-consumer sales through farmers market-style events.”

It sounds like they’re having a lot of trouble uncorking that genie, though.

9 Likes

the paper seems to be less about how to transition into the legal market and more about ramping up enforcement against unlicensed actors.
“It’s clear that big cannabis and big tobacco are coming together,” he said, “and based on all the talk about enforcement against illicit cannabis in this paper, it’s clear that their priority is cannabis prohibition 2.0.

Looks like higher taxes will be used to put more folks in jail for a plant…WTF?
“the adoption of any federal cannabis taxes must ensure that a portion of all revenue is allocated toward comprehensive illicit market enforcement efforts.”

Maybe we should dump all the legal cannabis in the water like the tea party did back then, most of it is crap anyhow…LOL

Sounds great, but is this only temporary?
Under the current rules, the marijuana farmers markets will take place up until January 1, 2024 as the state works to get more traditional retailers open.
But this part does sound promising no doubt.
Farmers could seek municipal approval and hold the farmers markets on their own property. Or they could seek to join other events like concerts, fairs and festivals that are being separately organized.

I have not read this yet, but thought you folks may have interest in reading it also.

2 Likes

From the PDF above…
Does anyone know anything about this??

The second, a system currently being tested, is environmental DNA (eDNA), a highly sensitive method of detecting low concentrations of substances from a sample of local water sources. The method has successfully detected the presence of cannabis in water sources. Results from routine samples and studies can be captured in a database.

Thanks for the link, @shag .

IMHO, the article does a pretty good job encapsulating what’s presented in that study (PDF). But it is worth reading, for anyone interested in this topic.

Of course, the corporate-backed “research” suggests that home-grown weed – i.e. any that is not grown under the regulated (licensed, taxed) supervision of corporate-funded agencies is going to be MORE DANGEROUS than the safe and delicious stuff sold by Big Brother. “Bypassing the important cultivation standards and laboratory testing requirements of the regulated market, illicit products have been shown to contain microbial and heavy metal contaminants above accepted limits…”

That’s because the un-regulated weed is grown and sold by CRIMINALS: “Based on the available research, the vast majority of illegal cannabis is assumed to be driven by large, well‑funded, and organized criminal enterprises of both domestic and international origin. These large criminal organizations have the resources to cultivate cannabis at a large scale, create resilient distribution channels, and either drive out or directly control smaller operations.”

It’s interesting, though, that this Freudian slip made its way into the section regarding demand-side factors affecting the market for refer:

“When other economic factors are equivalent, consumers will prefer higher quality and safer products over less safe, lower quality products. Importantly, the consumer’s perception influences the idea of quality and safety, even if the perception does match reality.”

“…even if the preception DOES match reality.”

As a micro-grower who doesn’t sell any weed (I grow just for the enjoyment of family and friends), I’d like to think that I don’t have any skin in this game. But we all do!

6 Likes

This is Missouri Medical and Recreational Market today. All kinds of illegal cannabis and CBD products being shipped from out of State and sold here.

2 Likes

Let’s take the tomato argument “More tomato’s are grown by in small gardens than commercially “.

Now with that in mind would you rather eat a homegrown tomato or a store bought tomato?

I believe we all feel the same way.

Ps- I assume commercial growers would like to eliminate homegrowers if it wouldn’t cause a backlash.

4 Likes

I believe we should have tax stamps as well as source to market tracking devices put on all our tomatoes. For safety. For the children.

3 Likes

Not just tax stamps, but something like Apple air tags so authorities can track the location of of all weed all the time to confirm you are in compliance

2 Likes

This is going to require a whole new enforcement bureaucracy and I nominate myself as Weedmaster General.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

5 Likes

No this will be the responsibility of Interpol in order to combat the world distribution of homegrown.

Pass a person a joint he will be high a while, give them a seed they could be high for life.

3 Likes

“Let me get this straight. You want me to put an Apple, on my tomato?”

I still wanna be Weedmaster General but am open to interagency cooperation.

7 Likes

Can’t think of anyone more qualified for such a position

1 Like

:rofl:

That reminds me of Seinfeld:

4 Likes

Mostly used in federal parks to identify animal population as most rainfall washes into streams and rivers, they take a water sample and can extract the DNA of each animal type. If they have a specific animal DNA they can identify that individual animal.

It’s a way of tracking how much and what drugs are being used in a neighborhood. You take samples from the sewer and test for the drugs, you can also get people’s DNA from the sewer and pinpoint who is using them from a DNA test.

I guess they would tag a plants dna at source, if any black market weed which is non tagged in a data base shows up, they will know it, and if they have your DNA already, know you used it. They have collected a lot of people’s DNA recently, if I say how this post will probably get flaged :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight @Shadey :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Combine these 2 technologies together and you can find illegal weed very easily.

PUBLISHED: MAY 15, 2018

How the Feds Will Use DNA To Track Legal Weed

A new technology allows law enforcement to track legal marijuana using DNA.
Legal growers have illegally sold cannabis across state lines, and illegal growers can forge a paper trail to enter the legal market.

growers spray their legal plants with DNA that acts like a molecule-size encrypted bar code. By bonding to the plant—but not changing its DNA—the tag withstands processing and even shows up in refined products such as oils and edibles. Dispensaries and local law enforcement can then feed a tiny bit of a product into a reader, the SigNify, that confirms the farm, strain, and permit number.

4 Likes

Can I be in head of the financial aspect of this new bureau?
I won’t embezzle! I promise!
:lying_face:

8 Likes

Does it bond with people? Does it ever break down?

3 Likes

And it’s 100% safe to be consumed by humans! We promise ish.

3 Likes

Have any states implemented a program like this?

Obviously the first step would be requiring cultivators to spray with this weird DNA marker, because why bother doing something like this unlike it’s required.

4 Likes