Cannabis Current Events (Part 2)

That was a really interesting read, @Rogue. Thank you so much for the link!

4 Likes

Thank you @Rogue. I agree with @mota, ā€œa really interesting read.ā€

4 Likes

@MoBilly I have no problem with people who live their religion. I apologize to all that I offended. My issue is with people who stand behind religion to justify actions that I donā€™t view as representative of their religious teachings. Personally I am a recovering catholic. My understanding is that Jesus overwrote the commandments by stating ā€œLove one another as you love yourselfā€. Iā€™m paraphrasing of course and I lay no claim to sainthood on any level. Iā€™m a man of many flaws, some Iā€™m aware of, some are waiting to be revealed. I strive to treat all with kindness and respect and some days I do better others.

My statements came from the frustration from people in positions of authority putting forth misinformation( again my opinion).

Love and good growing to all

Smib

10 Likes

They want to limit dispensaries to be located in industrial areas to protect ā€œblack and brown children ā€œ. More BS propaganda. They also said that those who want it and need it will find a way to get it.

Tgfhg (thank god for home grow)

Smib

5 Likes

do you mind if i ask you some questions regarding this offline? iā€™m a new catholic and our priest is trying to figure out why catholics are leaving the church and i am trying to help out as i get the chance. iā€™ve got some ideas and have talked to a bunch of folks but any new data is a good thing. oh, and i agree completely about folks using religion as their excuse for bad behavior. i would estimate up to 80% of all who consider themselves christian fail to uphold to most of the teachings of jesus. i would go further to estimate that up to 40% donā€™t even try, maybe more.

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to guess youā€™d get a broad range of answers on that question!

I was sorta raised Catholic (very much Vatican 2 liberal Catholic - the archbishop once threatened to excommunicate the church we went to because a woman did mass for years before it came to the archdioceseā€™s attention) but was never much of a believer, even as a kid, which eventually crystalized into outright atheism. My mother still goes to church every week, though I know she did some church-shopping for awhile to find a priest she likedā€¦ or at least didnā€™t dislike.

Digression: I always kinda laugh to myselfā€¦ my mother ā€œmadeā€ me go to church every week until I turned 16, which I immediately dropped the minute I turned 16. With my younger brother she had learned her lessonā€¦ he had to go until he did confirmation (an additional year or two for those not in the know).

It didnā€™t stick with either of us.

5 Likes

do you mind if i ask you some questions offline also? i donā€™t want to clutter the topic.

1 Like

Was raised catholic, went to catholic high school. I am agnostic and my father while he still believes in God is pretty disgusted by the churches handling of specific ā€œthingsā€ we will call it. I find it interesting your priest is that disconnected. All he has to do is type in ā€œcatholic church scandalā€ into Google and have a pretty good idea of some of the reasons why.

3 Likes

FWIW I donā€™t know that there are many people okay with how the various archdioceses dealt with abusive priests. Iā€™m from the Boston areaā€¦ soā€¦ it was a topic.

But yes, happy to talk offline, certainly heading in a way offtopic direction.

5 Likes

heā€™s from india. not as familiar with the american bishopā€™s conference, one of the things that i am finding has driven a lot of people away from the church. as an example, our bishop has asked for us to join the catholic militia or something a month or so ago and i was aghast when i read about it, not having known about the organization started in 1917. when i asked about it he had no idea about what the word militia brings up in the minds of americans. to me it signifies a nut-job group, and to him it was nothing more than the organization that has nothing to do with that. and yes, i donā€™t want to derail the topic so will continue this in private with the folks who said it was ok. back on track now, sorry for the delay.

5 Likes

Apparently Scalise and Jordan were both opposed to reformā€¦ but then it looks like neither one is going to be SOTH in the short term. One way or anotherā€¦ the SAFER Act seems to be going nowhere fast.

5 Likes

Nothing in politics is guaranteed until it is passed and signed by President. And may require a Supreme Court decision if itā€™s contested. Until then itā€™s open to debate, revision or set aside. Itā€™s not about what is best for the country or the desires of the electorate, itā€™s about ego, power, and petty retribution.

I fear cannabis might become an issue thatā€™s is perpetually contested similar to abortion. No matter what some group will not be happy and will to overturn the current status quo.

My glass is nether half full or half empty, I just have twice as much glass as I need.

Smib

1 Like

I donā€™t think todays youth are as enthusiastic by cannabis as my generation was ( late baby boomer born in ā€˜61.

4 Likes

I think youā€™re right about that. Weā€™re from different generations but the underage kids I know donā€™t seem all that interested.

3 Likes

Here, where itā€™s everywhere, seems like it doesnā€™t have the same mystique as it did in prohibition times.

When I was young, it had a magical mysterious quality. The whole experience of scoring something good (if you could get the Kind), and the bonding ritual of smoking with friends were special.

5 Likes

Yes. Now that the government will deliver to my front door it doesnā€™t have the same allure.

Also smoking in general is becoming less and less prevalent. Which is a good thing I guess.

5 Likes

Best way to convince a kid they want to do something is to tell them they canā€™t. Italy has no drinking age and an alcoholism rate of 1.3% - in the US we do much more to discourage children from drinking specifically, and drinking in general. Our alcoholism rate is over 10 times higher.

6 Likes

but thatā€™s only what, ~13%? granted, not great but not as bad as it would be if it were 10 times higher now. i wonder how much of the difference is due to the different cultures? gotta be some impact there.