Cannabis Fermentation

Also - forgot to ask - do you happen to know the RH% of your ambient air?

1 Like

I don’t know the RH but it mostly isn’t too high (central europe), maybe 50 -60 % I would guess.

2 Likes

The plant I used (kind of stringy pearl pheno but not completely, fluffy buds, incense/orange with nice incense smell in the room after smoked mmmhhhh :slight_smile: )
is rather awakening in the sense of consciousness expanding and clear, gives insights and gives a calm and kind of blissed feeling, not speedy but calm and chill kind of, no paranoia.
After curing as a cone it smells rather like hash and has a very dense smoke and still smells like incense in the room. But the high is not as calm and not as clear and insightful but rather speedy and trippy, funny and adventurous, even a bit paranoid at times but in a funny way, not aggressive and shit your pants paranoid.
Very interesting change in effect.

3 Likes

Maybe not quite on topic but if you’re trying to make a cannabis beer you can get free decarboxylation by throwing in the buds at the right time of the boiling cycle :+1:

We once brewed a hefeweizen with my bubble hash water. It would mess you up! I pissed green for days, lol. Not cool. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I made some new cones and this time they were a bit wetter than my other ones and after a few days I was a bit worried that they would mold because they didn’t get much drier so I put them into the oven at 120 C for about 15 minutes and let them in there after I turned it off until they cooled off.
Couple days later they are now laying in the sun outside and everything is fine, there was no problem because of the baking.
Maybe I will make one that I will bake entirely after letting it ferment for a few days and see what will happen.

4 Likes

Very creative cob curing technique, thank you for posting it here. The moisture regulating properties of the ceramic seem like they would solve some of the problems that sweat/cob ferments run into. I am excited to try your ceramic cone cob curing technique either this year or the next.

It could be interesting to place the cones inside of a ceramic jar or wooden barrel with a lid as a larger controlled humidity chamber and setting it outside. If you’re familiar with Korean onggi fermentation vessels, something like that with good porosity? I can imagine if you did it inside the same larger vessel year after year you would build up a cob fermentation culture that would ensure more consistent results.

I tried the rice wine at a little over the two month mark and it is definitely more CBN heavy and sedating. I will be making some more batches this autumn with my fresh harvest and don’t plan to leave them beyond 30-40 days in primary fermentation.

4 Likes

Thanks for inviting me and thank you for starting the thread, holygroveseed !

A small update on my adventures with the new cones:
At first I thought the baking had no negastive impact on the curing process, but now after a few days I can see that I should have just left them alone and take them out of the ceramic and leave it to dry a bit in the open air.
The baking has made the weed very crumbly and it is now dry but not like cobs are supposed to be but just wrong and not recommendable.
Of course I will still smoke them, but I will not try the baking again, slow fermentation and drying is the way to go I think.

The idea with different ceramics is good I think, I read somewhere that in some region I forgot where it was, people used ceramics to ferment cannabis like that in fermentation vessels, they would probably be better because they are more porous, I don’t know.

Interesting with the rice wine, I used cucumber brine on one cone but now I have to do another one becuase the baking spoiled it.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I tested some of the baked stuff and maybe have to change my mind on the baking again :slight_smile: .
The cone/cob is still crumbly and has cracked into different pieces but the pieces are rock hard and very dark.
They crumble to a fine dust that smells exactly like mentholated snuff tobacco.
And the smoke smells like tobacco also.
The taste is rather harsh and I would assume that smoking an old shoe would taste exactly the same.
But the high was very activating, not really racy but rather motivating and active, eager to do stuff. No paranoia etc. I will test further in the name of mankind. Somebody has to do it.

5 Likes