Cannabis GMO

It surely existed in private labs already, but it’s now available on the market.

A few weeks ago the US authorized a second GMO hemp cultivar from the university of Wisconsin: ‘Badger G’ .

At the end of 2023 they already authorized a first one from ‘Growing Together Inc.’ (sic).

Not so surprisingly, it comes through the hemp market, with the economical argument to lower the crop waste induced by the arbitrary (but useful for some) limit of 0.3% THC. This cultivars have been modified to suppress the THC and CBD genes.

When it comes to the medicinal or recreational cultivars, GMO will probably be sold as a way to modify the chemotypes to fit the market (i.e high CBG only cultivars).

Another challenge coming with the wave of legalisation…

9 Likes

Great info here thanks for sharing! I think everyone is worried about GMO cannabis but hopefully if it’s inevitably coming we can isolate certain strains and phenotypes for medical use specifically

4 Likes

I have one of these cultivars already. I plan to breed with it in the future. Everything is genetically modified. Really it depends what you mean. Are we putting fish dna into it to light it up at night?

5 Likes

They’ll come out with the best smoke on the planet and it’ll be locked behind a triploid sterile female.

8 Likes

Well my next grow will be with a triploid seed as I snagged one of humboldts donutz triploid as a new release when they came out with it and ill be making a mother of her for anyone interested in trying to do anything with her and just to pass around to others since it was a bit costly

9 Likes

Super curious to see how it turns out for you.

4 Likes

Me too brother! It’s supposed to be fast flowering and anyone who wants a cut is more than welcome to it at the cost of shipping and materials (ive been charging $20 a shipment within the USA regardless of amount of clones)

4 Likes

That’s the most probable scenario, even if we’ll have to see about the “best smoke” part of it :wink:

@CocoaCoir well I was implying the usual GMO definition, which means plants genetically modified through CRISPR gene editing or bacterial inoculation. But you can stretch the definition as you will. :slight_smile: What will you attempt to do with it?

4 Likes

I have a CBG only variety not made in the method you are suggesting. It does not produce THC or CBD. Though CBG converts to THC and CBD after it is in the body. I was hoping to try and get a freak that would only convert the extra CBG into THC and not CBD so it will increase THC production in lower producing varieties like Moroccan Beldia but I no longer think this will work as planned due to the inability to control the conversion of CBG to THCA instead of CBDA.

3 Likes

@CocoaCoir what is the point of a CBG only strain im curious? Are those ones the best for medical relief, ive recently got a strain that a friend gifted me that another set of friends worked its a strawberry Starburst CBG but still has THC. I reached out to the creators and they said they believe it to be a 1:1 ration but to my extent of knowledge when looking into it at that time ive found out the CBG is a very good anti-inflammatory agent and that’s why it was gifted to me to help to try and ease my tendinitis pains

3 Likes

It will convert to 50/50 THCa/CBDa

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-most-common-cannabinoids-and-their-conversion-pathway-by-decarboxylation-because-of_fig1_346162786

This is why it is a problem for me personally as too much CBD is bad for my joints.

If it can somehow be made to stop the CBD synthase but continue the THC synthase, then now we have a shitload more THC.

4 Likes

I was hoping for you to further break it down lol. Nice read but my brain needs a bit to cool down now that’s a lot to take in from 10 pages but basically they want to find a way to dial in the cannabinoids as the variation can be up to 25% and sometimes not functioning the way the doctor intended for the prescribed usage so if it could be dialed in you could get the expected results everytime. That’s what I got from it at least I know there was a lot of conversion talk in there that didn’t really make the most sense to me

I know some people have problems with this type of thing, but to me it seems to make a ton of sense for the casual person who wants to pop a couple plants outside and not worry about the neighbor pollinating their grow. Not for me, but I imagine there’s a large market.

1 Like

Yep that’s the main selling point I’ve heard brought up by talk shows talking about the triploid ordeal and that it’s mainly for bigger scale growers doing outdoor grows but the small time outdoor grower will see some benefits as you mentioned above. Just really hoping they don’t take all our new strains away to make them triploids

2 Likes

Neither of these examples are GMO in the sense being brought up originally.

This is how Triploidy is induced…

Also limited yield and terpene increase (if any?). This is their main selling point so of course the real reason is plants that can’t be pollinated.

2 Likes

I think this is a “you can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube” scenario. They are out there and there’s plenty of people making more, sharing, and selling those.

2 Likes

triploid seedless plants are the future once legalization fully/federally kicks in.

2 Likes

I think it’s going to be like seedless watermelons imo. Sure you can buy those at the store but plenty of people still grow watermelons at home as well. Some seeded, some not.

5 Likes

This is something I can not like :neutral_face:

4 Likes

Same, but you can still cross triploids with triploids, unless they go the extra mile to do enough inbreeding (or GMO…) to get male pollen sterility… But even then, we can take a non sterile male triploid and still cross for seed :smiley:

They can try what they want, but with sites like OG and a bunch of other initiatives, the oldschool good old genetics will still be out there for those that want them.

Cheers,
eS :tropical_drink:

7 Likes