Cannabis microscopy

The blue and red fibers are classic cotton contamination from drying it off. I’ll clean it up better lol! I didn’t even use alcohol to wash off the remnants of the last sample. I use 70% hand sanitizer govn’t issue.

1 Like

ok I validated those things. They are real. Note the absence of cotton threads this time :wink:

completely new sample from a completely new place. Also… These observations are answering some nagging questions.

4 Likes

I was wondering how that thing from the big bud produces pollen. The thing I now recognize from the interior of that male flower as being 2 pollen surfaces joined together. Now isn’t that a fucking shocker? The big bud female flowers sometimes grow a pollen surface right inside the bud. Yo… isn’t that a form of auto-pollination???
Hopefully something grows inside that pollen sack and I call a pollen grain that I can image. I’m not sure those spheres are pollen? I’ve seen so many things…near pollen that aren’t pollen? fuck me.

1 Like

To me or @JoeCrowe :grin:

Amazing really cool stuff

Definitely you, but with an assist from Joe and whatever this stuff is I’m smoking.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Maybe the spores start growing and forming from the centre outwards until the sac can no longer contain them… like an empty bag of marbles… one by one until it bursts… but then like that you would end up with new spores and older ones (the ones that formed first) :thinking::nerd_face::man_scientist::family_woman_girl_girl::face_with_monocle:

1 Like

naw, the crazy part is nothing I have imaged so far to do with pollen, actually looks like pollen. I’m coming up dry on the pollen hunt. But then… what the fuck am I finding? LOL! They…don’t teach classes on cannabis physiology, do they?
Online, places like arizona state have images of cannabis pollen, except it looks nothing like I found. What happens if I positively identify something as cannabis pollen, and that conflicts with images found in university databases? I will crap my pants. again.

5 Likes

Brother, you are cutting trail here…
Trust your critical thinking skills, … and the force is with you. :vulcan_salute:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Bug Identification. This is a winged Phorodon Cannabis. I took two photos with the dinolite and then put them together in photoshop.

This is a parasitoid that kills this type of aphid - either aphidius ervi or aphidius colemani:

And this is what it looks like after an aphid has been parasitized, and the wasps hatch out of the aphid mummy:

8 Likes

ooo damn! never thought of getting a photo of the aphid mummies after the hover fly! Using photoshop and gimp to create EDF images from scopes without fancy software is a great idea! I use gimp for all my editing.

3 Likes

holy shit. After hunting and hunting… finally. I can say that the closest I had got so far to imaging pollen was the big bud pollen thing I cut open. check this out!

I think the pollen is on that gunky looking strand!

I think they are the right size! and Shape!

This has to be it! I can explain away those blobs inside the pollen sack as being some kind of plant trichome. But that crazy shit there? Looks like pixie dust to me.

6 Likes

That is bloody amazing!!
:sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Definitely think that’s pollen! :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Know what the next phase is? Complete physical exam of the cannabis male flower. I’m pretty sure now where the pollen comes from it’s just like any other plant has a stamen. That comes from the base and I imaged the end of it.

3 Likes

ok! Here’s a quick sketch of the things I saw. I didn’t look it up online, I just went with what I could see.

4 Likes

dissection shows my sketch is fairly accurate. The pod has three lobes. I didn’t see the third lobe behind the flower.
Definitely three petals and a pollen thing. I’ll image the parts individually.

woah! The pollen thing has startling details!

There are two openings with pollen pixie dust crusting them. The back is smooth and has one rib. Trichomes on the male flower, just look sessile or whatever.

4 Likes

The stamen is so crusted with pollen it’s amazeballs!

1 Like

I cut open a flower pod to see what was inside before it opens. I have to tell you, origami skills translate into the real world. In shit like this, it pays to be able to manipulate the tiniest object with your sausage fingers. Now that I have a road map to the inside of the flower, uhh it was child’s play.
I found four petals!

number two is the part that bursts open with pollen inside, the rest look like petals.

6 Likes