Cannabis microscopy

See if you look at this bud, it’s the big bud. Trichomes are everywhere!

4 Likes

You know… I just thought of something. The distance separating the trichomes at the base of the stalk seems uniform. I wonder… if you could just measure that distance to determine how many trichomes there are.

2 Likes

naw the variation is off by more than 10 microns in some places. That’s not good for making an estimate! The human eye is pretty good at telling the difference if they are side by side on my monitors though.

When you toss them both up on the screen like that… heh heh you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to know slurricane isn’t going to be as good a yield per gram.

5 Likes

I can relate. I worked in making custom machines for half my life and had many inventions and 2 patents. That’s why I was playing with Ozone. I have interest in cannabis but yet to do the one experiment I believe is possible. I want to fool a plant it’s being attacked by bugs to increase resin output. Mild electricity might work if I ever get around to it.

3 Likes

heh heh, I would focus on genetics to achieve that goal. I’ve never seen anything positive come out of a bug attack. It’s the same bud, except with bug carcasses.

2 Likes

Grapey walter! I should see how good a hash producer it is.
hmm to my educated eye, it looks like 15 grams per key, perhaps even 20!

5 Likes

This is the back of a meat breath hybrid bud. I put it in the 15-20 group as well, which makes sense, because that’s what the plants downstairs do.

4 Likes

hah hah next time I see bubbleman I’ll have this skill down pat. It’ll blow his mind when I say I can predict the hash yield of a plant by just looking at a single bud.

4 Likes

Grapey walter! The purple is definitely expanding and there are a few golden-looking trichomes. The plants are cruising towards the finish line. It SAID cbg auto on the seed package, but they were photos. Oh and you can see the image above is a leaf. That’s why you never use the leaf to determine the hash yield. You will fail.

11 Likes

Great photography.

6 Likes

These OGK look a little different from the rest, and are probably female.

They are actually the same sample hehheh. So one female for sure, so far. There is a radical difference at the microscopic level it seems.

7 Likes

This is one of your best shots yet!

2 Likes

Thanks! Each one is a masterpiece :wink:

I slapped some measurements on there. The stalks of the trichomes are thick! Pretty tall, as well.

7 Likes

Looks like OGK, male.

2 Likes

This plant looks more promising. It could definitely be OGK, female.

4 Likes

That looks like male to me, OGK male.

2 Likes

It could?? Or is definitely?? :rofl: sorry @JoeCrowe I couldn’t resist.
Whatever scope your using is excellent :v:

2 Likes

yah, well the thing is, that one is kind of strange. And the confusing ones are usually female, so I figure I have a 90% chance… heh heh
Yah this scope I’m using is a biological research microscope, combined with a modern digital camera that is USB 3.0. It’s key to understanding things over time by making thousands of observations. I could be wrong about the confusing ones, but that’s part of the fun! I can lose or win bets with myself lol!

6 Likes

It makes sense that males and females grow in a particular way so keeping a closer eye on how they behave is a good move. It could possibly save you weeks waiting on a plant showing its sex. :+1:

3 Likes

OGK male! I’ve never seen a female grow like that. I bet if I go cull all the Goji OG plants that are male, I’ll have two left… lemme go do that.

4 Likes