Cannabis microscopy

No idea what it is! Whoever grew this weed knows, but I can ask the person who gave me the sample for analysis.

1 Like

This is OGK day 7 bloom, and it’s plant A. I think I see a pattern forming. We’ll see if I can get a good signal on that, instead of just some garbage data.

4 Likes

Here are trichomes on the largest veg plant from the GOG. I would say the trichomes look larger, but there are fewer of them.

4 Likes

Day 16 for the OGK, and there is quite a difference, now. Hilariously, my eye has already detected it’s not going to be a good hash producer. DOH! I estimate 15 grams per kilo.

4 Likes

What I’ve noticed is that the trichomes on the bud are formed already when the bud forms. After that, as the bud grows larger, so do the trichomes. Of course the number of trichomes doesn’t increase magically somehow and it won’t somehow form less of them. Seems genetic and likely linked to no other variable.

6 Likes

This is plant B from the OGK cluster. I would say that it’s the same yet different. The bud is smaller and the plant is smaller…yet the trichome coverage seems similar. Like putting all these tiny dots on the outside of a balloon, and then blowing it up. Over time, the bud swells up and so do the trichomes. The odd part is that some of the trichomes start out smaller and underneath the others. I suppose that accounts for the variation in trichome cap size. The thesis is that the plants from seed should have around the same trichome coverage if they are from the same lineage of M/F plants. I’m interested in seeing if that idea can be falsified, because it’s the basis for my ultimate hash plant idea that will eventually emerge from the dome.

5 Likes

Plant C! This was a bud higher up on the plant than the plant B. Though not in actual elevation. That plant C is tiny!

5 Likes

Hey Maestro,
Howza bout some micro pics of your Unicorn dust?

What does that pristine powder look like under the Big Scope?

Is it pure trichome heads or???

2 Likes

It’s only like…95% pure :wink:

11 Likes

Oh, Golly!
You really did IT, didn’t you!!!
Wow,
-Grouchy

4 Likes

I find this very interesting, thanks.
Keep up the good work brother!

Peace
Shag

4 Likes

Amazing shots!

Dang, pro level, your skills are rock’n it… :+1:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I prefer DIC over phase contrast… but I can afford it for now.

HG!

4 Likes

It would definitely produce a cleaner image without the light halos. Unfortunately I think that would require a total microscope upgrade to handle the prisms.

3 Likes

I picked up a camera for my microscope, the pics might need some work yet.

Bud pic.

Dry sift last tumble.

4 Likes

Yep!

Basal stem diameter is the best single predictor of biomass yield […] Of all traits measured, basal stem diameter offers the best return on investment as a selection criterion for biomass yield. Regression of log (biomass) and log (stem diameter) resulted in a slope of 1.7 (R 2=0.78), whereby incremental gains in stem diameter equate to considerable gains in biomass yield. Together with height, primary stem volume can be estimated, which is also strongly associated with biomass yield (R 2=0.82, slope=0.64), but the slope of the regression reiterates that stem diameter alone is a superior selection criterion. It would be interesting to determine the earliest point at which stem diameter measurements are predictive of biomass yield, as such information could be used in early seedling selection of breeding populations.

Now if you’re saying hash yield relative to total biomass yield, that’s a different question :wink: But more buds = more trichs so it’s a start :joy: I’m wondering how early this can be pushed too, be awfully neat if you could tell how much a seedling was gonna produce before the helmet even came off :eyes: or even by the tail when it starts to sprout…

1 Like

Good pics! Did it come with some software and a measuring calibration slide?

2 Likes

The yield prediction is made from a single bud, in a grams per kilo estimate. Based on that, you know if the biomass is even worth running, or if it’s a complete waste of time and effort. If I’m pulling 10 grams per kilo that’s not going to be worth it, to grow and run that bud. The productivity would have to be 3x and then you would have that much more biomass to process. Diminishing returns, it’s a numbers game.

3 Likes

Well, I guess when you run 20gal bags like I do you kinda stop worrying about the little things :joy: This was my last batch from a few months ago. 3 washes, maybe 2 hours of effort if you don’t count the drying after

I’d still love to see scope pics and measurements of seedling tails, especially if you compared those to bud and hash yield :call_me_hand: that’d be really cool info for growers

3 Likes

Yep, and that’s the thing right. If you have a plant that produces 10 grams per kilo and you run several kilos you’re stoked for like 30 grams. But if your plant produces 30 per key, you’re stoked for 90 grams. The chickens really come home to roost if your crop is more productive as buds than hash. I prefer the opposite! Now… I find no correlation between basal stem growth and hash productivity, unless they are clones. Where one clone has a stalk 1cm wide and the other has a stalk 10cm wide… obviously the enhanced biomass productivity on the larger plant with the larger stalk will result in a larger yield of hash, yet no larger yield per kilo of biomass. 30 per key is still 30 per key, but now you are getting a couple keys on one huge ass plant.

3 Likes