Cannabis microscopy

lol! While that would normally be true, these are already sexed as female. I’m gathering data to see if I can tell which plant could be a good producer in veg before I even bloom the plant. Unfortunately I’m not really seeing any patterns in the trichomes… yet.

Trichomes in veg! I’m thinking those flaps might not be working out, and I should get something that resembles a flower.

6 Likes

Ah, okay. Wouldn’t it be better (“better” being relative, of course) if the trichomes were visible to the naked eye and didn’t require a microscope? I honestly don’t know, just asking questions.

4 Likes

I want to see if I can determine the plants quality before I bloom it and actually check the numbers. I’m just taking a bunch of photos of possible target areas during the veg phase. No promises that the idea will work out, but I will learn things along the way. Ahhh it’s all about the journey and not the destination.

Here is a GMO prime photo, except this has a pistil coming from it and is from the very top of the plant. It looks very much like yesterdays sample from the bottom part.

10 Likes

For a radical departure from these normal looking veg photos, I’ll slap some OGK and GOG2 up there. Wild shit for veg.

3 Likes

Yah, so the bottom growths without the pistil have wild ass trichomes unlike the GMO or GOG prime. They are more like the big bud, and less like the meat breath. Does that mean they are better than the others? Stay tuned :wink:

6 Likes

GOG2 you can see the radical variation on the trichome size in veg. All the way from tens of microns tall to hundreds of microns tall.

6 Likes

Love what you’re doing here man. Have you ever looked into the relation between stem trichomes and final bud trichome coverage? I am specifically curious about the ratios of trichome types (capitate stalked, non glandular etc) rather than the overall quantity of trichomes, and how that could correlate to final bud trichome coverage / cannabinoid content.

9 Likes

Here’s a fresh hatched OGK flower. One with a pistil from the top of the plant!

7 Likes

I would say that a bud on the cannabis plant has A) unicellular and D) capitate stalked. You’d be hard pressed to find the other types.

6 Likes

Yeah, after I asked that question and thought about it for a second, I figured out what you were doing and why that’d be beneficial. Or, if not beneficial, at least instructive. Or whatever haha.

Pretty cool, anyway.

2 Likes

The GMOxDHP got all red where I cut off the small bud! Definitely got the dragons blood going on.

4 Likes

That’s cool. Do you think the red “sap” actually means anything? I know it’s supposed to be an indicator of “high brix” or whatever.

One of my C. Gold x Dragon Energy plants “bled” when I topped her, but I never made a note of which one it was. I LOVED the gigantic C. Gold leaner, but didn’t like the DE leaner. I kinda wish I knew now which one it was that had that red “sap” haha…

3 Likes

I think it’s phenolic compounds in the plant sap, and I’m leaning towards flavonoids. Something perhaps water soluble like anthocyanins.

3 Likes

That’s what happened after I cut off the donor bud. I noticed each wound had a distinct color to it. I should go and cut off the wound and image the color, and see if it really is water soluble.

2 Likes

This is an incredibly fascinating and informative topic. I’m grateful for the contributions being made and for being able to lurk these conversations and to see how they morph and evolve along the way. The photography is stunning! Y’all are so rad! Much love

4 Likes

Fascinating!!! I can’t even believe my eyes it’s little spheres of red moving to the wound location?? It takes 40 seconds real time for it to be visible to the human eye.

12 Likes

Thanks! You’ll find some real interesting answers here for questions nobody has even asked!

5 Likes

Well I have to say that the color is not water soluble so it can’t be one of those plant colors like anthocyanin. Can’t scrub that shit off once it changes color.

5 Likes

Is it an oxidation reaction of some kind? Does the red just appear or does it just migrate and concentrate on the wound?

4 Likes

heh heh yes exactly! Next stage is I take some plant sap and rub it on the slide. See if that changes color over time.

5 Likes