Cannabis microscopy

I use it for cases when someone can’t figure out if it’s harvest time.
The caps don’t change color.
The caps are purple, instead of anything else.
lol! If you want my recommendation… It’s an intricate dance. Between fragrance, and trichome appearance. Peak stink like a ripe fruit. Trichomes, fully mature.

3 Likes

Oh my! Well… fuck me. That just turned my world upside down! It’s almost like the contents of the trichome caps didn’t fully liquefy at 305C. Also I had another strange observation. Like those THC crystals I produce stay white as far as I can tell. If I put em in a container they should stay little THC crystals for a long ass time. So does that mean the terpenes are the thing that degrades it quickly and changes color? Hah hah oh my… question asked. Time to get down to the lab and experiment on THC crystals.
Edit: the image is a dab my friend made with bubble hash that left a coal chunk behind.

5 Likes

Had to make sure it was testing positive for THCa crystals. CHECK! Dat be THC!

8 Likes

I scooped all pure THCa crystals into a black sealed container and wrote the date on the lid. I’ll TRY to remember to open it and observe once in a while. I want to see how long these crystals will last at 18C in the dark. I suspect a long ass time.

6 Likes

Hello Joe,
this is not microscopy per se but did you ever come across red trichomes? Its not the best shot but middle right in the picture you can see the formation of red trichome heads. This a red oaxcan and last time I grew it and made oil the oil came out a bright red. I thought it might be of interest to you.

10 Likes

That’s the anthocyanin getting to work! I have seen things like it before, but it’s fairly rare they get all purple in the cap! Strangest one I seen was the entire trichome was purple from top to bottom. All of them!

7 Likes

Thanks for the reply Joe. I notice looking at some of the zoomed in macros I took last night some of the trichome stalks are also red. I probably have about a week left on this plant so before chop I shall endeavour to get some clearer macros and post them up. Last time I grew this strain “oaxacan” from Eskobar it produced bright red oil, I imagine any hash derived from it would also have a tinge although Ive never used it for hash. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, have a great day.

5 Likes

ok I’ve got more of the large trichome plant. See, I’ve been thinking about something. The trichomes start out different sizes, right? You can see as the buds expand, the trichomes that were kind of chunked in there grow larger as well. When are the smaller ones visible? ehh I’ll go and look some more, it’s probably documented somewhere here in photo format.

So here’s the biggest one, and the smallest one, I could find! I’m interested in if they get to be almost the same size in the end? or what.

5 Likes

I would think not, but I really have nothing to base that on haha. I mean, in my mind, it’d be like wondering,”How come every orange on a single tree doesn’t end up the same exact size?” or whatever.

But maybe it’s different with trichs…

3 Likes

Got a few trichome stalks (not sure of the technical name) red and a few whole trichomes red tops and stalks. Probably will give this another week.

Also a few leaves displayed red pigment patches from the start and they are producing red trichomes from the red leaf pigment area.

8 Likes

This came down tonight so final pics, didnt manage to snap a top to bottom red trichome but Im sure theres one in there somewhere.

10 Likes

@jesuswearsflares
I have found under the right growing conditions and given the time the color will make it all the way to the trichome head.

4 Likes

This is day 70 on the GOG prime.

Day 39 on the GOG delta. Makes yah think eh? Plants from seed, even siblings are subject to wild variation in all aspects.

6 Likes

I noticed something.

There are little trichomes in the works that are like a sphere, and don’t have stalks. Not that I could see right. And I got to thinking… Those are on the buds but don’t contribute in any meaningful way. So… They must be there the whole time like the other trichomes on a bud. Except tiny and in the cracks between the bigger trichomes. Gives me a much better idea of what I’m counting when they look like fish eggs in veg and early bloom.

3 Likes

You can see 'em down there at the base of the stalks.

6 Likes

[Graphic 2: Andre C.M. et al (2016). D is a capitate stalked trichome; C is a capitate sessile trichome; E is a bulbous trichome.]

I wonder if they each produce different compounds.
I am pretty sure they all produce THC and CBD but I wonder about the other canabinoids.

Maybe they even produce a compound yet to be discovered… :thinking:

3 Likes

They are most likely capitate sessile. ok I’m getting some kind of memo. antherial sessile trichomes look like smaller capitate trichomes and capitate sessile have a hidden stalk it’s so small.
The documentation isn’t “crystal” clear, but that’s what I read. I should get some observations on it. That explains what the smaller trichomes are and whatnot.

1 Like

How about this image? I think it’s superior to the internet ones. Has the bud and all 4 trichomes you can see there as well as a larger image with an arrow pointing to it. Internet info is sketchy.

10 Likes

There are a few bulbous ones, as well.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I could have pointed to a bulbous one on the buds. This leaf is ripe with the buggers! Also there are no cystolithic trichomes on the bud I could detect. Leaves are infested with 'em! Had to seriously magnify the bulbous one.

6 Likes