Carnivorous plants?

Oh hell yeah, right from the source!

1 Like

I LOVE carnivorous plants! All of them there is so many. I don’t not know if there is a thread for this but hey what the f… Im growing Venus fly traps. They actually only grow in the usa and a 75 mile radius from Wilmington NC near the coast. That’s it in the whole world. I always thought they were from the rain forest, nope just nutrient low marsh lands in a small costal area. They love spagnum and coir usually watered with distilled water. They get most of their nutes from photosynthesis but since such a low nutrient soil what they can’t get from sun they get from eating bugs. Full sun 70-80° comfort range in a room high humidity. Pretty much your grow tent veg especially is

perfect environment. Carnivorous plants also don’t usually eat their pollenators which is cool since they react by literal hair triggers.

Love them even had one flower.

Low nute, eat bugs, distilled water and full light. What’s not to love. When in a humidity dome you can catch a fly and put in some. Eventually it will go after the sweet sweet smell the plant releases and gets eaten.

Anyways please share your carnivorous plant experiences or your favorite. Pictures are greatly encouraged.
@PsillyRabbit care to share and maybe tag?

12 Likes

I don’t live to far from where that flytrap came from.
Well they are cultivated now.
Had those, pitcher plants.
I killed them lol.
Obviously you have the touch with them.
I have never seen such a awesome fly trap
Looking so happy indoors.
Excellent

1 Like

I have much love for carnivorous plants. While it’s true venus fly traps live in such a small area of the world other kinds of carnivorous plants fill the rest of the globe.It can be very fun to set up indoor vivariums with tropical plants. Pitchers plants are even common all the way up to canada.
I have some “native” new york bog gardens. “native” because I use NY hybrid pitchers. and a bunch of orchids dont have populations in nature anymore.

I do add venus fly traps because babe loves them. Usually buy new fly traps yearly cause they look like shit after winter but everything else here over winters outdoors in NY
To build one of these it will run about $350-550
I have a build breakdown with some other pictures here

13 Likes

Carnivorous plants are very cool, I’d love to set some up on our sun room

2 Likes

:musical_note:“Come in she said I’ll give you Shelter from the storm” :musical_note:

My Saintly Spouse is one of the kindest people you’ll every meet, but she cackles like a fiend whenever her plant invites a bug to dinner!
-Grouchy

10 Likes

You guys are rocking this.
You made me want to try again.
When they put them out at Lowes
I think I might do it.
Educate a newb please.

1 Like

would you buy mj cuts from lowes ?

I started some from seed, but couldn’t keep them alive. I really want to try again.

3 Likes

Was looking around for seeds and info and found this!! Holy smokes!!!

1 Like

Are these real or photoshopped?

1 Like

photoshopped-

1 Like

Nice, I especially like the second from the bottom, it’s chowin on a spotted lantern fly! They look cool and do good work haha.

I sit outside smoking doobies looking at my bog gardens all summer. My neighbors must think/ (know) im crazy. :rofl: staring at em for hours.
I hope my cranberries put out fruit this year.

2 Likes

If you buy from Lowes be careful. They aren’t usually very healthy and the bigger they are the worse it will be when you take out of the little dome thing they come in. They won’t have the strength to hold themselves up cause use to container holding up the heads. When you take off they all collapse. They live in super low nutrient soil. Like spagnum, full sun and distilled water. They get most food from photosynthesis but any other nutes they get from eating bugs.

2 Likes

Any recommendations for where to buy online. I am not having much luck locally. I want a couple of Seymours in my indoor grow.

2 Likes

It’s fake. Seeds are bullshit and come from China. They send basil seeds or something like that lol.

Flytrapstore.com is legit as it gets for the flytrap game.

1 Like

Some of my best flytraps have come from Lowes. Bought a flat of them that was nearly dead for 5 bucks and nursed them back to perfect health. I ended selling a bunch but kept this one I really liked. It was really stretchy and still kicks out some of the largest traps I’ve ever seen.

they are so cool!

these are all from seed

6 Likes