CFL closet - first indoor grow - log / questions

And here’s the end result :slight_smile:

Roughly 5 ounces dry … .VERY good stuff on all 3 plants.

there’s some “cheese” budshot… everything turned out better than expected… Yield, potency, and the power i got from the butter i made out of the trim… very potent butter didn’t use anything quality. This stuff is straight top shelf…Bubblegum grew in straight purple a little purple in the cheese buds as you can see (researching now what actually causes that). Awesome experience… now im flowering out the three clones i ended up with via experimentation … Then I’ll start round-2.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Total success…$50 setup.

Random question (dont want ot start a thread) Does “autoflower” mean growing from seed right into a 12/12 cycle?

8 Likes

congrats again! beautiful nuggage, especially for a first harvest, and with fluoros.

What did you use for the soil mix? Seems to work well.

1 Like

Thanks man- yeah im super stoked on how potent it turned out. Sunshine #4 soil mix with some “around-the-house” cal-mag solutions and a VERY light amount of miracle grow liquid.feed… general plant food type during veg and general flower type during flower. .i would have gone with some kelp-based stuff since i live in Alaska and it’s everywhere but i literally had this stuff laying around the house and just did some research and gave it a go trying to minimize cost at every corner (since i assumed i’d be making mistakes on my first grow anyway).

Turns out i have a bit of a knack for this and just went off pure interest, soaking in as much info as i could regarding super-crop technique, when to flower, ideal temps/humidity… all that stuff.

Basically bare bones basic gardening soil (with perlite and other additives… but im pretty sure nute free…sunshine #4 is the brand/type) with liquid nutes almost daily. I messed around with watering schedules and landed on basically daily , rotating between a light water and a heavier water day after day. always with a light amount of nutrient.

Had some gnats starting to show so i backed off the water a little bit and took care of them pretty fast (next time I will be treating all my soil first so any eggs in the soil will be either dried out or dead before i use it).

But yeah nothing special really… just a lot of bulb adjustment, leaf tucking, and general TLC.

Update:
I found there was a fine line in balancing how close to get the CFL bulbs (because of course you want them as close as possible without causing heat stress/damage) and got the bulbs a little bit close one day on the cheese … ended up scorching a few good sugar tips but didn’t damage the buds … and really focused a lot on keeping bulbs at different heights (using a hanging technique with bulb adapters from Home Depot) so they were always in optimal position/proximity for maximum efficiency… i will probably alwways use CFL bulbs at least a couple to supplement a future LED setup because I like the way you can tuck them into fairly tight spots to get light where you otherwise could not (or I’ll get my supercrop techniques up to snuff so i have a flat canvas and dont even have to worry about that).

2 Likes

I guess I’ll chalk it up to (luckily) having a lot of time on my hands away from work to make daily adjustments- bulbs… a branch holding a branch holding a leaf bent 90 degrees toward the light with a whole other stock balancing off the counterweight of that to open up direct light on a lower node that was otherwise in pure shade… crazy branch gymnastics :slight_smile:

1 Like

In case you didn’t find the answer yet…
Nope, “autoflower” is a genetic trait wherein a plant starts flowering once it reaches maturity – it doesn’t start flowering based on a light cycle. There’s a debate thread about the pros and cons over here, and I think we have a few grows tagged with #autoflowering where you can see how they grow.

When I found out you can’t clone them, I immediately hated them :grin: Nothing worse than not being able to grow an amazing plant again.

4 Likes

Thank you! I have a lot to learn, wow (sorry was trying to figure out how to reply without bumping and double posted)

Except for the amazing plant that didn’t get grown because you’re growing the same thing again.

Just playing devils advocate… sorry about the thread jack.

3 Likes