Chat room (let's chat!) 💬 (Part 2)

btw cuz lol while you’re here
The folks I split them beans up amongst, all say they’ll shoot me pics as things grow, just ‘fyi’
That was so damn generous of ya, truly above and beyond!

1 Like

ok, cool. good to know. i love getting updates, can’t wait for final bud pics as that’s my favorite. not zoomed in to see trichomes, just like a pic of a bag of weed, lol

1 Like

not here :frowning: I miss those corner pop-ups. Between the guys with the carts in Cozumel, MX, or the pastellito/pupusa stands in Utila, HN, there was some DAMN tasty food… Even my coffee shop in Cozumel had awesome home made tamales on the regular. Best part is the environmentally friendly wrapper :smiley:

2 Likes

it’s like opening a christmas present, but for lunch, lol

1 Like

Dude, the sweet ones go good with coffee too in the morning… just sayin :wink:

I always preferred the sweet to the hot, even though the hot was good too lol

OH MAN, I just remembered this! Few years back was in Cabo on a work trip. Went to a farm to table / learn to cook place. Got to harvest stuff and cook it right there…

Made a dessert tamale with a mango and papaya chutney… Oh… My… God…

2 Likes

sigh. Blanket of loves cause I am outta love like usual…

not sure if i’ve tried anything sweet. my go-to is one with shredded chicken and a medium spicy green sauce. i wish there was more meat in them, they barely put any. there’s a cheese one i’m not a fan of. and then there’s a plain one that’s also good.

I’ve seen some of the vendors ‘cheap out’ on the meat, but I’ve also seen some that loaded em down lol Not like way beyond the standard size but still done up righteous!

1 Like

The masa (cornmeal?) thats inside the sweet ones might have cinnamon or sugar for the sweetness…

When I got meat ones, it was usually chicken, and with the green sauce :slight_smile: I think its common for there to be hardly any meat in a meat one. The masa only filled ones were stuffed in comparison.

2 Likes

In Utila the Pastelitos were the snack. Baleadas were a meal. Pastelitos are like empanadas, smaller and the dough is a little sweeter. But they had chicken / rice, Ham / cheese, and beef / potatoes. I wanna say I could get like 3 for $1 if I am remembering the conversion rates correct. A single baleada would feed you, and a large one can feed a small group, think of a giant soft tortilla wrapped around half a tables worth of food. Every variety, like pizzas. There’s meat lover, veggie, hawaiian, etc… Pastelitos were my lunch for like 3 months, so easy, so fast, so cheap. AND, I would ask whats in the glass case, and order what WASNT in the case (quick enough to make and then they were absolutely fresh!). Damn I want a pastelito now…

2 Likes

man, you reminded me of this taco stand at a local flea market. they make the corn tortillas right in front of you and fill it up nicely with your choice of meat, excellent! the fresh grilled steak was amazing. this one stand stood out above the others. nothing compares to those fresh made corn tortillas. along with their choices of sauce of course.

1 Like

I admit, I love my US fast food…

But… In Mexico and Honduras. The street food? Off the hook. Even shops. In 6 months on Cozumel last year I was in the burger king one time and I didn’t even order. I drove one of our divers there cause he HAD to have the jalapeno dipping sauce. Otherwise I lived at Diego’s Taco stand, Billy “Asadero” the Grillers, or Los Ninos which was a little 3 table restaurant on the block behind the house. Breakfast there was Chiliquilles Rojas, semilla toast, choco banana shake and coffee for $4… I can barely buy a breakfast sandwich for that much here!

1 Like

yeah… the closest taco shop to me just doesn’t compare to the other options i have. prices are ridiculous now too. they make a good shrimp taco but they just can’t compete. my current favorite is this small place hidden inside a mexican food store. killer steak tacos/burritos.

If that Mexican store is run by immigrants? SCORE. We have one shop like that nearby, mix of restaurant and bodega. From the outside, unappealing. Take a chance though, and that food is straight outta the Yucatan, and the prices to match!

I swear you aren’t finding a US citizen with a shop like any in Central America. I’ve eaten enough in Mexico I feel I can judge a little, and those shops give me the feel that I am back in Mexico. They just do a lot of things the same way they would in Mexico, and that makes the difference.

Shrimp tacos… Diegos would do a tempura battered shrimp taco. $5 for 3 w/ a coke (real sugar!) for lunch… Probably the lunch I miss the most from Cozumel. I was such a regular there, I had my own chair :smiley:

1 Like

yeah, from what i can tell it’s the mexican shop that the real mexicans go to, lol. i think they’re known for their carnitas but i like their steak. my local shop it’s up to 5$ for 1 shrimp taco now, i haven’t gone back since. they used to give me my order for free every once in a while because i was going there so often. and yeah, all the mexican type shops have the real bottled coke so that’s a bonus.

Strange as it sounds, thats actually a good sign. The Mexican guys I worked with were the ones who showed me the place here. Do they have Pastore? And Real Horchata? (thats always a fun debate, rice or melon seeds for Horchata). I like rice, but melon is traditional…

1 Like

for sure.
i posted the wrong one, here is the right one i think:

Yer making me hungry…

This is my local one lol

1 Like