Chat room (let's chat!) šŸ’¬ (Part 3)

Hi @Mithridate

ā€œby the most badass males I find. :slightly_smiling_face:ā€

Do you usually choose the males because of vigor, rapid spur of growth, resilience, nice scent!? Something along those lines!? Thanks!

4 Likes

I have seen lots of those wood boring beetles around my area.
I had a ton of them in my yard last year. Some made there way inside and my cats had alot of fun with them. :laughing:

3 Likes

Let me start by saying that there are many schools of thoughts about male selectionā€¦

But Iā€™m a simple guy yā€™know :slightly_smiling_face:

The human brain is a pattern recognition machine and is also embedded with the process of elimination logic to find answers.

Why not use those first :smirk:

Of course, if you only have 2 males, Iā€™d suggest the Tom hill method. ā€œJust cross the damn plantsā€ and evaluate progeny.

In the case of too many males to choose from (10,20 or more)ā€¦ in an ideal world youā€™d test them all, since the only parameter to evaluate a male is by what he passes on to its progeny.
Who got time for that?
I start by eliminating males with negative traits ie hermies, genetic defects. Then pattern recognition kicks in. By watching the females I try to associate each male to a pheno and go from there. There are also the males that donā€™t fit in the gang, he looks different or whatever, unique. Thatā€™s one to try.

I personally try to not be too ruthless in my male selection. Out of 20, Iā€™d keep 5-6 and will give a chance to ugly ducklings as I donā€™t care about structure and yield.

A champ is a champ and Iā€™ll adapt my grow style to fit the plant, not force the plant to fit a styleā€¦

Then Iā€™d suggest small batch breeding(to cover lots of terrain/be efficient). Aka pollinate a branch from each female with a different male and grow however many you can from each mating.

:green_heart:

8 Likes

So one could have 4 to 5 different males to pollinate 4 to 5 branches of a single plant!! Awesome! Intriguing as heck!! Thanks for the lesson!!

5 Likes

if you have never pressed before there is a bit of learning curve to get the feel for it. i was over pressing blowing out shit making all the nob learning mistakes etc. a lot of people think are under the misconception that you need a massive tonnage press to do this. studies show that the concentrate you are trying to make happens best at somewhere between 600 to 1200 psi. otherwise you are pressing plant lipids/fats and plant parts parts and pieces etc not what you want in solvent-less concentrates. a bit of math to figure psi based on plate size and pressure applied is easy to find on line. i did a lot of learning about subject before i pulled the trigger on the dab press 4 ton 3 x5 plates. it is amazingly rugged well built worth every cent i spent. works perfect for personal use and gifting. if you are going commercial you may want something else. Starter Rosin Press - Best Small Rosin Heat Press Machine. any other questions you may have ask away, will help if possible. the video on that web page is someones hack / mod job. comes with bottle jack. lots of vids on you tube about dabpress.

8 Likes

Our good friend @Budderton has a nice tutorial about pollen collection/small batch breeding :slightly_smiling_face:

I prefer to bag a flowering male individual branches and then put the same bag(s) on one branch per female, then do a 2nd male and bag a 2nd branch from each female.

Ps: anytime Abbbian :blush:

7 Likes

Thanks so much @mainerJ !

1 Like

you are welcome MR Pigeonman Maelstrom of Wonders. good handle had to look that one up. cool good one! can i add one in my profile for myself or how does that work?

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s a contributorā€™s perk. Look up the about OG info thread.

2 Likes

@Pigeonman is 100% correct. Become a supporter and you can add your own custom tag.

5 Likes

you folks are great thanks for showing me how. i am gonna head towards the pillow and hope the maelstrom and the for ever member of the month spirits make me dream up a good user title. been wanting to be a supported since joining, because this place is the best there is.

I call them spruce Beatles and yes they bite.

1 Like

Anybody no what kind of tree this is. With these weird things in it.

The tree was covered with small white flowers for a short time in May.

4 Likes

I think itā€™s a mold-a-penƵ

5 Likes

Trees been there since we moved in and this is the first time Ive seen these things.
Thats over 10 years.

2 Likes

Thats Albinius Scroticus

8 Likes

Translation, shriveled scrotum

2 Likes

Hairless? :thinking:

Try one in the name of science!

Looking forward to the smoke report :laughing:

7 Likes

Huuuuuuum, yeah no.

3 Likes