Chez Calix - Journey of a Junior grower

Thank you! I am quite happy also! It’s been great group project lol!

I’ll have to check into box of oddities!
I can see a podcast being enjoyable.

I went from on the back deck being very uncomfortable , to the rec room on a couch and the radio going! Only a short stint though.

My eyes and mind did grow tired quickly after an hour rom so.

I will have to allow more time for the next go. I don’t want to be rushed . Also want to have a nice finished bud!

Im not even that eager to smoke right now, more so focused on finishing the harvest process!

I’d really like to be able to chop them all at once , but the 9lb is the only one that seems ready. Not sure if cutting a few limbs is going To cause issues to the plant, like stress it out, some more !

Will have to resume this tomorrow.

2 Likes

Oh mine!! Beauty!! Actually yours!! :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :hugs: Congrats!!

2 Likes

Is that supposed to lower to 15 to 20 grams after drying!? Nice!!!

1 Like

I can only imagine it will lose half it’s weight at least! Hopefully 20-25 lol

3 Likes

Hey bro!

Where I chopped off a few limbs,
Will the remaining ones continue to develop intrichome maturity ?

I just looked at some of my lower buds that I trimmed yesterday , and theyre Is zero amber , at least onnthe one sample. I will look at the bigger buds.

4 Likes

Nice looking buds right there. One thing I have learned. Make sure when looking at trichome development through a loupe or microscope, to be sure youre looking at buds, not sugar leaves. The trichomes on the sugar leaves will go cloudy and amber about a week to week and a half before the buds. If you harvest at this point you may lose a bit of potency. I suspect growers who sell to dispensaries harvest too early by doing this. Still good; not Great. Just my opinion.

5 Likes

Thanks Mike!!!

I have been looking at buds.

But I was wondering about that’s. As the leaf would be easier to analyze.

Thank you for this information amen compliment :slight_smile:

3 Likes

SO there is a lot of inconsistency throughout the flower. However there is enough evidence on some of the main branches that indicate towards my desired maturity.
Some areas show lots of white , some 80/20 amber/milky?

And here’s is my ghetto drying cupboard

Should I consider drying a few branches untrimmes - @aside from big fan leaves and easy to access leaves.

Lots of online discussion , just seeing what perspectives I can draw frrom this thread !

I started trimming first batch fresh.
Benefits for dry trim?

ID like to just chop the plant and hang It upside down like in movies and TV. Haha but honestly you don’t want any branches touching each other … so limb it, hang it fresh ? Or limb It, manicure , and dry!

LOL and bElow My dry shack

6 Likes

Not a right or wrong answer to trimming wet vs. dry. Really more about preference. I’ve always preferred manicuring after I harvest because I’m very anal and to me it’s a lot easier to get the buds clean and void of tiny pieces of sugar leaf while the plant is still wet. Additionally, because I’m so particular, it helps to keep trichomes intact while still wet since I’m really getting in close and trimming as much leaf as I possibly can.

With dry trimming, there’s the argument to be made that it’s easier once everything is dry because a lot of larger foliage can literally be flicked or pulled off and then you can go back and snip away additional growth you don’t desire. Again, though, imo you can’t handle the buds as aggressively when fully dry without losing some trichs. If I don’t have the time to dedicate to manicuring right after harvest, I’ll just wait until it dries and then do my time.

I’ve hung whole plants and also hung individual branches. I find it’s easier to trim wet if you cut individual branches, but I do like hanging the entire plant as it seems to take a bit longer to dry and that’s a good thing to me.

More than one way to skin this cat brother✌🏻

4 Likes

Right on partner!

Thanks for taking the time to break that down for me!

Again I’m not being lazy by not searching for already discussed topics on trimming/ drying I just selfishly wanted to feel some love! Thanks ! Ha ha!!

I will have to discover what works for me from trial and error - As I have from this first run.

@anon20530495 I did notice last night that I could sort of hold the bud fairly aggressively as you say and navigate my way through the inside of it to clip the Leafs branch.

I can see now that you mentioned - that wouldn’t be possible with a dry. It would crumble !

Chooochoo

Bring it on!

I’ve got the day off tomorrow so I think il let this subject develop another 12-18 hours before chopping…if I feel it should leave it another 48hours for some reason I will . As I’ll have a day of again the weekend.

Onto day 53 now.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s all about what works for you. I guess I should mention that I try hard not to hold the buds themselves, but I do dig around aggressively with the scissors and what not, and there are times where I do find myself handling the actual buds rather than holding a branch while trimming. You’ll get so many different answers from folks on drying preference.

Ultimately, like you said, you’ll find your preferred methodology through experience. Experience is the best teacher. Should tattoo that on my forehead because it applies to so much of growing, and life in general. Let us know how that Chem turns out after a decent cure.

4 Likes

Haha!!
Some people should get that branded on they’re foreheads for sure. haha I think we’ll be okay.

Yes I’m thinkng the chem91 will require a good cure…surprisingly the 9lb hammer was triple A on the smoke report after a 3.5 day dry on a sample. Wish I could say same about chem91.

The chem91 (plant 1 and 3) is still growing , they got there last nutrient feed on Saturday . Feeding them water now . And will do a full flush soon.
*The sample I did Smoke was right after a nute feed and it tasted awful on exhale.

4 Likes

Hmmm!

So the buds that I trimmed last night, have been hanging with a fan on them for 24 hours now.

They feel almost dry on the outside. I didn’t break any open to check the inside. The stalk didn’t snap. Just folded over like rubber

I’m not stating this because I have any interest in smoking it. I’m just worried I might be drying it too fast . I want to ensure I can avail of the best product by using the proper technique. Not in any rush . This will be personal use and for friends.

The temperature varies from 15 overnight to 20 during the day. Not sure the humidex value, I will have to put the humidity reader In my future permanent dry room. I read that it would ideally be 55%?

3 Likes

SO much valuable information online!
Just watched this One , and the producers suggest delicately removing a calyx from the plant and checking the trichomes from that sample - and checking multiple locations ,
DOH!! LOL
That would have made My life easier instead of trying to scope swinging colas with my shaky hands .

Live and learn!
6:30
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehv0jD7l32o

3 Likes

After doing some research , it’s looks like my first batch could Have dried to quickly with direct air flow on it.
And perhaps too high temps.

I am going to chop tomorrow and hang dry in a smaller closeted room that has a window. The floor has carpet that I’m worried about. I will vacuume it and cover the floor with something to cover the fibres.

The Chemdawg will be drying in the tent when they are done to ensure i get the best finished product.

I really don’t want to mess up with 9lb hammer.

I will hang it partially trimmed and control humidity.

Next run i have a couple Kush strains…
I guess I can continue this diary!

2 Likes

Okay!,
I’m all in!

Just ordered a second tent and second in-line fan + filter…

Should be here next week and will become my drying tent until next run! Will dry the chem and wedding cake in there.

I have L.A Confidential and blueberry seeds otw ans maybe some extra blue monster.

And I have some clones beeing rooted. Lavender kush , and rockstar i think.

@Calix
Wasup bro
So , what fertilizer you use?
Thanks
@BERZERK

2 Likes

I’ve got Remo Remo nutrients

1 Like

SO !! Your gonna say I told you so!!

I just set up my dry room, checking humidex and setting up a hanging station.

Befor chopping I decided oto check trichomes again.
AND then, I decided to check inside the buds , still growing , and all the trichomes were clear / white still… some exterior amber, however I think it’s needs a bit longer!!! Glad I checked !!!

Going to water and wait!

1 Like

I like to dry cut wet trimmed branches for about 10 days with a Relative Humidity of around 50 and temperature between 18 and 20°C with a fan on very low pointed away from the buds. If I hang whole plants (I have in the past but I find it way too much work to trim and IMHO it’s never as good of a job) they usually take 14-16 days to dry. Low and slow will give you a far better smoke 10 times out of 10.

6 Likes