Chez Calix - Journey of a Junior grower

This is great advice to heed. You’re almost guaranteed to get too crisp, too soon with direct airflow.

5 Likes

I’ve learnt by experience.:roll_eyes:, crispy critters… fool me once! :rofl:

2 Likes

Big question bud
Are you trying to get the trichome maturity consistent throughout the entire Bud ? The inside of the flowering bud and the exterior? Because like I mentioned the outside showed Amber trichomes but I just opened one of the buds up and looked inside and they were white.
Should they matre sure the same time

Well I have just learned something now - from my first time to not have the fan directly on the buds- I doubt it’ll be too bad seems how my original sample from a week or so ago tasted fine with a three day dry I think I caught them just in time before they overly dried about 24 hours with a fan on them. Unfortunate is probably close to 10 grams that got dried with a fan.

I won’t make the mistake again low and slow

3 Likes

No way to truly know unless you’re cutting buds off, breaking them open, and observing under magnification. I don’t know anyone that practices that, but people do all kinds of stuff I don’t so who knows. Just doesn’t seem like valuable practice. I’ve always checked the trichs on buds in different locations of the plant (i.e. cola(s) and lower growth). Not uncommon at all for different buds at different sites to have varied maturation periods. Someone earlier in your thread mentioned focusing on buds, rather than sugar leafs, and I agree with that and it appears you were doing that anyway.

Don’t want to digress, but don’t get wrapped up in the external vs. internal trichomes. If you have an acceptable ratio of milky:amber, cut her down. Again, this is subjective. I had a good buddy who would let his plants go waaaaay longer than I like, but he liked that knock you on your ass/sedated/sleepy affect that comes with majority of amber. You’ll find that if you run a strain multiple times, you’ll come to learn the sweet spot that you want. Curing will also play a part into the high, flavor, smoothness, etc. of your nugs.

Don’t sweat the fan thing. Remember, this is a learning experience, and should be fun. Keep having fun!

2 Likes

Okay!
:slight_smile:
Thanks

Yea that would entail a lot of work

Felt like sort of cooking Some meat with the inside rare LOL. … .

It’s a fairly heavy man strain so I think it will be fine.

I’m going to lop,off some more branches lol

Thanks

2 Likes

Going at all the Lower smalls branches
69 g wet untrimmed - wow there was almost 30g of leaf…or the moisture evaporated as I was trimming! Lol

3 Likes

Hum …ugh oh…

I found some very small undeveloped seeds in a lower bud.

Should I chop the plant now so they don’t develop any further???

2 Likes

I’m not the best person to give advice here as I’ve never had a plant hermie early enough to produce seeds (I’ve seen nanners very late in flower and I immediately cut).

How developed are we talking and how much longer were you planning on extending flowering? Just because you’ve got seeds in some buds, that doesn’t mean all buds will have them.

3 Likes

Chopping early will give you bad weed and ruin your hard work, a few seeds won’t. That’s just my 2 cents worth. If you see seeds at this point I would just let it finished. Better seeded ripe bud than unripe bud.

6 Likes

I am 54 Days into a 50-60 day flowering plant.

I would have chopped it all two Days ago if i had time.
I’ve just been doing some some practice runs. Timing and method and such as it’s my first run.

I still have two plants of different strains about 2 weeks behind.

I chopped 2-3limbs a few days ago and today I took all the lower stems comin* off the main colas.

Maybe 4-5 big branches left.

My worry now is the seeds fully developing (are the seeds going to be useable)
And will it cause the other two to hermie

3 Likes

Thanks.

Makes a lot of sense.

I will let it do it’s thing I guess

I was thinking that’s harvesting a few limbs at different times would let the plant mature more over the time span, and I could get different effects! Lol
I thinking Now it’s just stressing the plant out.

1 Like

Thank you for your valued input.

This is what’s left of the plant.
Will it continue to mature ?
Even after my limbing?

5 Likes

It does stress the plant some but many harvest in sections. I did that my last run. Chopped the top colas and let the lowers mature another week. It’s usually not enough time to get into too much trouble :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It should. Lots of leaves there for photosensitizing and the roots are in tact. No reason it should not continue to ripen. Just by the leaves it looks like you did a good job bud, congrats.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I guess I went backwards from what you did.
This is before any human attack

7 Likes

Nice, this was my last bud run. 2 Maui Waui, 2 Shiva Skunk. Came out ok.

11 Likes

Finish strong then. I wouldn’t worry about this too much, especially if you know a male wasn’t the cause for any pollination. Doug nailed it too; what’s a few seeds to pluck in your otherwise dank nuggets?

It’s hard to say too what made your plant hermie. Could be genetics, stress, conditions, or a combo. Some strains are more prone to hermaphroditism and will start showing signs if left very late in flower (don’t let this dissuade you from finishing). You’re doing well brother. Keep on keeping on :v:t2:

4 Likes

Now those are some healthy looking plants !

Incredible use of space as well!

I appreciate the kind words . I learned alot from my first run - so my next will be much better - unless this was beginners luck!! Haha I doubt it though .

Appreciate the quick replys. I was panicking :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This is from what I just trimmed ! All the lower little buds.
It’s nice to know now for next time what these little side branches can produce!

5 Likes

Wow you have been busy! You have had a lot of good answers to your questions. Like what @anon20530495 said, everyone has different ways going about EVERYTHING. Ultimately it’s something you will get a feel for and your going to tweek certain aspects of your grow/harvest.
Don’t have the fan on your harvest. You just want the air moving around. After 24 hours cut off the fan. Just let them hang. I give them about 3 to 4 days. If they feel like there getting too dry you can put em in a paper bag for a little bit. I did a little dance this last harvest. Pulling them out and putting them back in. Mind the buds the less you handle the better. There is the Grove Bags I want to use for the curing process.

You dry your buds then put em in the bag and leave them. They have a build an order option. You don’t have to buy in bulk. These are a game changer.

4 Likes