Chimera effect

So I am creating my own cross, it’s a cross of lemon haze/ super skunk. I decided to call it Lemon lapuw.
So this is my 3rd run and I started getting weird coloring on the leaves. I thought I was going to have to dump the project but noticed the leaves were healthy?
I just found out that is a chimera effect that doesn’t hurt the genetic of the plant.
Let me know what you think.

This is what I found out.

Here is a leaf from my plant. It has it on all 6 plants.

So I started four more because 4 out of the six were males so I dumped the three smallest.
The new run has none of the chimera effect.
The top pics are the new run.

27 Likes

I’ve had this happen. It’s wicked! It’s rare. I see it around though. Would be awesome to see if you could mother it and have it pass through to the clones. That trait I think is rather hard to lock. I read something about it being flukish.

12 Likes

I have one right now but not to the same degree.

4 Likes

looks a bit similar to Mosaic Virus,i´d say

2 Likes

I wouldn’t breed with that— it’s genetic damage not improvement :man_shrugging: chlorophyll & all

Sounds like a tasty cross though :sweat_smile:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

lol, love it when someone decides to rename a known occurrence. The “chimera effect”. LOL. Its called variegation, plain and simple. Variegation can be one leaf, or an entire plant.

A couple of points here. I had a variegated grown side by side from seed with a sister that was not variegated. It was the plant in my profile pic actually. The variegated DID take 2.5 weeks longer to finish, and was noticeably slower growing the entire time. The smoke was the same, same potency, same taste / harshness (I expected the white buds to taste different due to lack of chlorophyll but that was not the case). Other than the slower growth (presumably from the lower chlorophyll content), for all intents and purposes, the plant was the same as non-variegated once cured and in jars.

Variegation is hard, if not impossible to lock into cannabis (short of cloning a photo thats variegated). Reason being it has to be passed on from the mother (males DO NOT pass on the trait), and even then, you need the right mix in the environment AND within the cellular level of the plant. Plants can have the genetic material to be variegated, but if the cellular “stars don’t align”, it will not present as variegated. Sadly we only know how to control the environmental variables, and not the cellular variables that will force the plant to present as variegated. There was another user here (her name escapes me at the moment) who educated me on variegation quite a bit when I had mine.

Breeding with it could be fun, but keep in mind the slower growth (as @cannabissequoia mentioned, its not an improvement). I figured a variegated purple / white would make an awesome landscape plant that has a purpose at the end of the season too :smiley: Only way to really do that is find / make the mother and clone the shit outta her (actually thats how many of the current cultivars of coleus are made and sold in big box stores. They are all cuttings as coleus will NEVER breed true from seed, seeds are always varied in coleus).

13 Likes

I have a few running that show similar variegation on random leaves. 1 has a serious amount of multiple mutations on leaf growth/shape. I’m still unsure if it also has a virus. Its incredibly slow growing also. But I started them both from beanos so it is unlikely it would be anything other than variegation or tobacco virus from a nasty smoker

4 Likes

Agree, lack of chlorophyll won’t help to grow a healthy and productive plant, here’s more interesting info … beer3|nullxnull

https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-weird-wonderful-cannabis-mutations-n2462

2 Likes

Any other simpleton open up this thread and expect some badass Chimera genetics budshots like me!? ,:crazy_face::crazy_face: :crazy_face: I’m such a weed nerd! But no, this is very cool looking and interesting!

3 Likes

That’s wild! Underrated, and hits ya just like the double bass…:wink:

2 Likes

Keep a separate set of trimmers per plant until you know for sure. :wink:
I made the mistake of shared trimmers for all the plants before I was sure. I ended up having to reset my whole space.

edit: probably not much of a concern for all those who have easy access to genetics :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks. I had been using ipa to clean them but I believe that wouldn’t help. I think 10%bleach is favored over ipa here. A lot of times I just use my fingers to pinch off what needs to be trimmed for those.
About how long did it take to ruin everything?

1 Like

oh, i don’t know about that. i’ve got a whole bag of seeds in the fridge but would be pissed over losing three or four months of growing time. time is hard as hell to recapture. i would say impossible but nothing is absolute. maybe.

2 Likes

It is not fast. But if you share trimmers or use the same hands to pinch off the leaves etc on all the plants then over a period of 3 to 6 months you will find the virus will spread to all your plants. Depending how much you trim. I could still grow with the virus. I found I could keep the plants healthy enough to keep growing but they were always impacted to some degree. I had to reset everything to get rid of it and clean the whole grow space to make sure I didnt accidentally infect them again after. I ditched all my trimmers and bought a whole new set. It is the trimming that usually spreads it. The plants can touch each other and still not spread the virus unless they really rub hard against each other. It is when you cut the cell walls that it easily gets in.

2 Likes

Just to be clear for everyone. My comments are in response to @I.am.human

@AceHigh , I do not think yours has anything to do with TMV. :+1:

1 Like

@AceHigh, I had that happen and wondered WTF?? Thank you for 'splaining it! d8JBdDJ

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ve got one female and male showing the same traits, so I figure what the heck, I’ll try anything once.
I’ve set them off by themselves, they were a little behind the others mabe and inch or two shorter than those that are normal.
Good thing I have two flower rooms.

4 Likes

I always keep a hot pot of soap, iso alcohol, and peroxide to clean before trimming the next plant😅

Hahaha, yeah that is how i started too. But I am slack and with my current budget trimmers are so cheap these days :slight_smile:

Is that damage on some of the lower leaves in the background of the second photo? Or is there something on them?