Clean or Buy new RO membrane

You mean the line running from faucet to the ro system?

1 Like

Yes, if that’s how it’s fed.

1 Like

Hey good friend,I Just checked.My line js very clean and clear.What Is the next thing you would do?With a value of 0.06Ec buying a new membrane seems too much yet
@HorseBadorites

1 Like

Thank you kindly @Andrexl, coco is pretty awesome and very forgiving, glad it’s working great for you too. I’m still surprised not as many people grow organically with it as peat dominant mixes. Hoping to just shed light on how versatile it really is.
Thanks again on the compliment with the water. It was originally for hydroponics and that forced me to go a little bit overboard. Presently it’s just for on-demand needs of the 4x8 bed. I’m running (4) blumat blusoak lines in a double ended manifold configuration. Only 2 blumat maxi’s are being used, one at opposite ends of the bed. It’s the only way I can monitor the hydrostatic pressure within the substrate and have several irrigation cycles daily. Really helps to maintain that sweet spot.

2 Likes

I see,I am actually doing hydro coco and I love Coco to the point I am starting to try using It more “organically”
I don’t have the other ingredients to really make It a Living organic jungle and this has kept me away from trying,usually I put some soil and mix with my recycled hydroponic Coco.
I got big results with basil,I should try with cannabis too.
My actual problem Is my tap water has lot of carbonates and It killed the Coco CeC sites,caused deficiencies and whats more…Since I use Ro water I have not encountered those lockouts…so I Need to constantly filter my tap,this Is a real hassle to me
@McShnutz

2 Likes

So with those deficiencies you’ve experienced from carbonate accumulation… an acid will counter the alkalinity and free up the bound element. You can use white vinegar, rice vinegar, wood vinegar. 1:200 Once or twice a week when using tap water.

2 Likes

I would change both the sediment and carbon filter, see how that works, and if it doesn’t help, change the resin filter.

I have hard, well water, and my last s & c filters went over 2 years before the water hit 0.05ec. I make between 5 and 10 gallons a day.

2 Likes

I don’t have the resin filter.
@HorseBadorites
Also It seems weird to me,my Ro system Is new,Bought in october this year.
Seems odd.

@McShnutz I Always use acids,It Just Is too much calcium carbonates and adding many acid also increase N or other elements too much creating disorder in the nutrient solution.
Talking Organic style instead,I had problems too because the water Is too hard and carbonates accumulate in the soil,It become very alkaline and kill the microbe biomas.That was my experience with soil 2 years ago

2 Likes

This right here, I couldn’t agree more!
I’ve been doing coir instead of peat in my soil builds and glad I have switched. Peats hydrophobic properties and the pH swings with it are enough for me to not want to use it. Coir instantly absorbs and is neutral at 7 and the 50% compost I throw in brings the acidity right to that sweet spot between 6.2-6.5, when I see people running peat they gotta throw a bunch of lime in it and shit still swings

2 Likes

Didnt u do regular salt flushes of ur soil?

1 Like

What’s in the large center canister? There’s a resin filter in mine.

Temperature range is also part of the specs.

After a few years, the anti-siphon/backflow gizmo clogged up on first unit, I think that’s what it’s called. It’s the small cartridge on the left of your pic, where the finished water comes out. I couldn’t find a replacement, and a new unit isn’t that much. The new one has lasted much longer.

2 Likes

Sounds like you would greatly benefit from a de-ionized stage. The only thing I use tap water for drinking, cooking and misting clones. Without incorporating the in-in-line monitors, visual observation on how quickly the resin is changing color can be a good indicator of your RO quality, performance and lifespan.

1 Like

Right on my man!!! Coco definitely benifits with higher humus/compost ratios. Could ask for a more harmonious mix. Ditched the surfactants, wetting agents and lime a long time ago and I find myself with very little to do/ monitor in the garden these days. Who needs additional headaches anyway.

2 Likes

Exactly! That’s the grow method I encourage too! Just set it up with what it likes and friendly to work with and a tea every couple weeks to keep things happy and nature does the rest for us aside from a splash of water here or there

My frustration was always on the indoor gardens and fabric pots, especially on tea days watching it all run out the side of the bags. Blending coir now and throwing some humic acid in with my teas has really made a big difference over time breaking down what peat is still left and not getting that bead and splash back

2 Likes

I’ve been considering running a table with capillary mat. Sustainable Village has a nice one that incorporates the double ended manifold blusoak lines from blumat. Uses a different ceramic control sensor that sits on the mat. Same concept as in ground carrots/maxis.

I’ve got about (50) 3gallon fabrics and a dozen 30gallon and I can definitely relate to the frustration of seeing all that tea run straight to the walls and out the side. I had to wet shop vac it all up.

2 Likes

Damn, we would get along great working in a garden, my outdoors/unfinished greenhouse are in 30 gallon but started in 3 gallon and same with my indoor closest for chocolate diesel, started in 3 gallon and threw in 10 gallon to finish it out.

Think I’m up to about 80ish 3 gallon bags and about 20 30-gallon left, damn things keep ripping on me

I actually found just letting it sit under the bags they eventually soaked some up after about 10 min sitting in it but doesn’t feel like an even soil drench

2 Likes

I used to run a lot of water through,but It seems my tap Is very hard

Our water is hard as hell here in az too, like rediculously hard it’s not deemed good to drink and if u do can expect kidney stones. We have water purification stations on practically every corner. I think @Rhai88 tested the water and was around 4000 ec and above

To do a salt flush on your soil you blast it 3 times 15-20 minutes apart to get the medium saturated, give an opportunity for the salts to dissolve and blast out and repeat once more to be sure. I always do this at the end of my seasons before I let my soil sit for the winter

1 Like

Great minds think alike!!!

2 Likes

Deionizing stage,what Is that?

1 Like