Cleaning LED bar-style lights

I have a FC-4800 light by Mars Hydro. It’s been running for 6 months. Should I clean the “light” side with 70% iso alcohol & an old cotton t-shirt to ensure maximum lighting reaches my plants?

What’s your method?

Thanks!

4 Likes

I’m lazy, I just give them a quick wipe with a dust rag.
I suppose it depends on your growing environment, I don’t get any accumulation other than a little dust.

If you are asking if ISO is OK to wipe them down, the answer is yes, you won’t damage them.
The LED dies are covered with an optically clear epoxy material to protect them.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Cool that’s what I did. Took apart my 6" hurricanes too & wiped off dust with ISO. Even with a massive HEPA filters in the room, the dust is everywhere.

You should see the furnace filter I had on my intakes for flower. OMG… if people don’t filter their intakes. They are going to burn/breathe that in. Crazy! And I vacuum every other day & am a clean freak :laughing:

3 Likes

The longer I hang around here the more of a germaphobe I am becoming… :rofl:

15 years ago I never considered what else might be in my black market weed.
Now I’m at the point where the question is how many different washes you might need for outdoor grown.
Four years ago I made a filter box (sealed cardboard box with premium furnace filter) for my tent.

My development plans now include a large filter box… to filter in-house air into the lung room. :rofl:
My requirements are only getting more stringent… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers
G

8 Likes

I asked the guy at the hyro shop about cleaning leds and TV screen cleaner and soft cloth are best apparently.

3 Likes

Other options are a little soapy water or say a standard window cleaner, though any alcohol will be likely the best just cause of it evaporation rate and say taking and resin off if say you stuff a plant into a light not like i don’t do that frequently.

Obviously dont have them plugged in and running when you do so and allow them to adequately dry.

Honestly though they probably dont need to be cleaned that frequently every year or two if needed, fans are different just cause their moving plus the static charge they can build.

4 Likes

I don’t use these but I do clean my vents pretty consistently because they get disgusting.

1 Like

I wish somebody would, like, call me, about cleaning my ducts. Daily. Over and over, until I want to reach through the phone and throttle them. But alas, nobody calls.

2 Likes

You’re confused. It’s a duck cleaning service. For farmers.

Man I hate them too. I don’t even answer my phone anymore.

1 Like

6 Likes

How much do you charge?

2 Likes

I nudged the underside of my light with the top of a sticky plant I’ll need to inspect it when I’m finished.

I used ipa for cleaning records, evaporation can be a problem and it can end up leaving the dirt behind, I had to mix 50/50 distilled water and ipa then give them a rub with a soft cloth.

1 Like