Cleaning smart pots for re-use

how do you guys clean your smart pots? i’m thinking i’ll take them to a laundromat and use their industrial washing machines as i wouldn’t want to use my own LoL… i guess could also use a dish-washer, hose it down outside, wash it in the bathtub etc… what’s your preferred method?

3 Likes

Im going to throw mine away. They only cost me $2 ea. Im a real cheapskate, but Im also lazy enough to not want to spend hours of work for $2 :slight_smile:

i think pressing go on the dishwasher would be under 5 minutes of work bro! would be better if you recycled them some how i think.

i wouldn’t want to use my own dishwasher tho, so i’ll prob just drop them off at the laundromat and come back an hr later or whatever, easy peasy. where do you get them for $2 though, somewhere local? i think i paid $40 for 10 5g on amazon

1 Like

I just washed a bunch in my washing machine. They came out clean, but next time I’ll probably just reuse them without washing.

I’m talking about fabric pots though. Aren’t Smart pots those plastic ones with all the dimples in them?

I think you are joking, but just in case. DON’T THROW THEM AWAY!

1 Like

no those are the air pots, smart pot is just a brand name of fabric pots, mine are generic

i think i will re-use them without washing as well, my concern was fungus gnats and thrips but i’ve had the pots sitting completely dried out for several weeks now… maybe i’ll just spray them with a spinosad solution

1 Like

Putting them outdoors might freeze some of the buggers.

2 Likes

Used to do just this…used to go laundry mat late night and wash em all. Now I have a rubbermaid tub I soak them in with soap

for a day the spray them of either in the bath or outside…

1 Like

I just can’t help myself any longer.

This took 1/2 hour.

6 Likes

My fabric pots i just leave out till they are dry, flip inside out to brush off any remnants and run through the washing machine on a quick cycle if needed/wanted.

If salt deposits are heavy typically along the upper rim, i pre soak the pots in some water with vinegar then wash.

4 Likes

what are those? planters you cut extra holes in?

1 Like

cool about a half gallon it says, i should get something like that to up pot several times instead of solo cup -> 5g smart pot… i think fabric pots would be difficult to transplant out of without cutting but maybe not

I throw mine in the washing machine with borax.

1 Like

There is prob eggs left in the fabric. You can easily kill them in the microwave. Put them in for 35 sec n you’ll be good. Also a 30 min rinse in h202+water will take care of mold. It’s how i reuse my perlite.

Here’s another option http://www.ebay.com/itm/221932070237

They come in all sizes.

I use vinegar and water to clean everything in my room including pots. Never have had a problem.

3 Likes

i use the laudrymats industrial washers with detergent and bleach with an extra rinse

2 Likes

Brush off excess material and run them in the washer with hot water. Boom

1 Like

When I was using them I would remove all organic matter and them soak them over night in bleach before washing them in the washing machine.

1 Like