Clone only plants

As weird as it seems. Here in the middle of nowhere I now have a few clone only plants. G.G. #4, Apple Fritter, and Chocolate Marshmellow have made their way to me.

Most people will start by saying they are not the real deal. Since I have never had any of the original deal I may never know. I will wait till I harvest to swear either way if it is real or not. I do know that the person who sent them, is convinced they are real. That works for now.

What to do next is the big question. I am not a breeder and don’t claim to be. I do make seeds of the strains I like. Pretty soon it is going to be my turn to make G.G. #4 S-1 seeds. I know it came from and has hermie traits. It is a perfect strain not to self LOL. I am a small time grower and only have so much room. I can’t keep the G.G. indefinitely so selfing it seems to be my only choice.

The biggest question in my mind. Would I be better off reversing the Chocolate Marshmellow and use it for a hybrid and by pass the S-1 G.G. seeds. The G.G. is what I really like. I know nothing about the Chocolate Marshmellow other than it is a G.G. hybrid. The resulting seeds would have a fair amount of G.G. genetics. They may also be a bit more stable. Most poly hybrids of today have some hermie traits roaming around. Does it really matter?

10 Likes

Yeah probably have better luck/more stability by reversing the Chocolate Marshmallow (GG4 x Mint Chocolate Chip) and making fem seeds with the GG4. You’ll basically be making Fem GG4 BX1’s that way, instead of GG4 S1’s.

Ideally you could do both and keep the beans separate :wink:

10 Likes

You don’t have to keep a mother. Just keep taking cuts before flowering and clone it. I’ve been growing the same plant for three years with out a mother plant. Just saying. :smiley:

16 Likes

I plan to clone as I go for a while. I know I am going to want seeds sooner or later. I will only be growing out G.G. once a year at most. I always rotate strains for tolerance and boredom.

The Chocolate Marshmellow is the one that my brain says to use. I will probably go that way first. One thing for sure. This plant will be in different hybrids before I ever let it out of my grasp.

I will be running Cannalope Haze soon and will be crossing it to G.G. At this time I don’t know if I will be using a male or female to do it.

2 Likes

I don’t see why people get so worked up about clone onlys and whether they have the real deal or not. As long as it’s a good plant that gives you the results you want then what does it really matter?
I’ve always preferred to find reliable BXs of these hyped strains (Chems, sours, Kushes) and find myself a good keeper from those. Then I can get the hype and something unique at the same time. But I also don’t sell and don’t need to worry about what others want.

6 Likes

People want to know if they have the “real deal” because some of these clone only strains are out of this world.

3 Likes

I think one advantage to clone only’s is that they allow you to make an exact comparison with other people around the world who have the same cut, speaking in regards to growing and enjoying the finished product. It also allows you to find your way back if you want to enjoy your favorite herb again and lose it. It’s hard to say whether or not a seed variety will be the same in 20 years, but a well-kept mother is like a time machine.

5 Likes

Could be the same cut but with all the variables in how its grown it could look and taste different. Unless everything is the same it might be hard to compare. Just my 2 cents. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I just got the Oreo cut and it’s amazing

One thing I like about the G.G. clone. I have liked all the G.G. hybrids I have grown. I am curious how much better or different the real deal is.

Up till now I have really enjoyed growing different stuff all the time. Each grow was mostly new strains. At least for a bit these clones will do that same thing. I haven’t grown them yet so it is exciting to watch the show. Before long they will become more of a liability than a asset.

When they were sent to me I had not asked about them. A friend thought I needed them. No way I was saying no. It does bother me having a bunch of stuff I have to grow that I didn’t pick. I don’t care how good a strain is I want to be able to choose it.

I know this sounds stupid. I can’t wait to get these clones taken care of and in some kind of seed form. I want to go back and grow my random strains again LOL.

1 Like

Hola, my name is PhilCuisine and I’m a Clone only strain whore…:joy::rofl::sweat_smile:

Back in the day that’s all I had and I made my own crosses with them…This was my last grow over the winter and its lineage was the real deal clone only Matanuska Thunder Fuck…this is a picture of my Matanuska Thunder Head and its fully cured and ready for a smoke report…

I also had a clone only strain Arcata Trainwreck and made my own cross with it. this is it and theres a smoke report on this cross.

11 Likes

Nice, After all this is over I hope to be able to say I did these clones justice like you did yours

1 Like

Clone only’s are highly sought after for a number of reasons, most importantly, most are phenomenal.
If you have never had any of these “elite” cuts, it should be pretty apparent once you grow and harvest them. At that point you will see what got them their hype and following.
I would suggest finding a way to keep a mother of these cuts, as you may never get the opportunity to get them again. Sure, you can s1 them or make crosses, but that will almost never get you anything close to that original cut, unless you are able to sift through 100’s of plants to find it. Seeing as you say you cant keep them around, I am assuming you do not have the space or the means to do large sifts either.
If space is an issue, you should look into the Bonsai Mum tek as this would allow you to keep mothers of all 3 of those cuts in a space the size of a shoe box.
I just hate seeing others lose cuts or let them go only to realize later they made a mistake and then never get it back. This is also where having a trusted network of growers helps as you can pass your cuts out and you have a much higher chance of them being preserved.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck whichever route you take.

:sunglasses:
Doc

6 Likes

That’s true, the environment is a huge factor in itself and even the same plant will behave differently (even exibit different physical characteristics) in other environments/conditions. I was meaning more along the lines of having the exact genetic material to compare with so there are less variables once you’ve factored in growing conditions. Good point to bring up though, might be a big factor in why some people feel ripped off if they may have a legit cut their hands and don’t know it.

2 Likes

Much better explanation of what I was trying to say . I get what your saying as well in my uneducated old man way. Lol

3 Likes

Always learning. :smiley:

3 Likes

@Floyd is right. I cut off mine all the time. Just after a minute I get lost with what I have.

1 Like

I have considered the regret part LOL. Especially after waiting for years to get one. I better keep it around for more than year.

2 Likes

where you located… i can mom them for you :smiley:

Not anywhere near where people that can take them. I plan to keep the G.G. and Apple Fritter. The other 2 I will have to decide on.I will get it figured out. All else fails I will mail them to someone else and make it their problem LMAO.

We really never discussed much about the fact that these came in the mail. That is the coolest shit ever. The second package with the Apple Fritter took like 5 days to get to me and they still rooted.

3 Likes