Mother Plants and Growing them out

howdy all!!

newish to growing !!

I’ve finally started doing a bit of a perpeptual grow / staggered veg / flowering cycles.

I’ve managed to grow two females of each genetic - one was a fem and others reg.

I have grown 1 of each out and kept the other as mothers for future access to genetics.

nothing immediately special about them.
well the flowers are beautiful and busty*

however the time has come - both are just about finished flowering .

and I’ve still got the moms in veg tent. never grew massive or anything. basic minimal light / light feed.

I’m wondering, Is there any issues if I were to go forward and flower these mothers out that have been in VEG for say 3-4 months?

will they flower just as any other plant?
the Bog lsd has really hard purple branches

I could see it maybe being a issue if the plant was kept as a mother for years lol

just considering flowering them out!

I’ve also got two other plants that are fems and early veg. might consider keeping one in veg n flowering the other.

this might become my strategy going forward !

once I’ve seen one flower out - I can sort of know what to expect for the following clones or further vegg plant.

at this stage. they haven’t given me any clones - so theyr technically plants that have been in veg for a long time.

I have everything bought for my aerocloner except the 1gal tub.

it’s a BOG LSD and a pre98 bk.

so should I take some cuts and flower them out ??? I kind of feel like keeping the BOG lsd. it’s an impressive flowering plant

14 Likes

That’s how I was running two strains for awhile, flower out the moms after making sure I have rooted clones for new moms.

If I may mention, only because I’m experiencing it now…

The hard purple branching may be difficult to clone. “Woody” stalks have been giving me headaches on an elite cut I purchased. I however was successful carefully monitoring the ph and general health of the mom to get softer limbs on newer growth.

My aerocloner wasn’t very successful on this mom, but riot plugs and humidity dome seems to be doing better.

4 Likes

@Calix For most of my growing years I didn’t keep mothers.
I would run a bunch of seeds and take a clone of each plant, label them and make sure most rooted before flower. You can take clones 1 or 2 weeks into flower if some don’t root. Now you have an exact copy of each one so when you find that super nice plant that you really like you have a copy you can grow out a bit to take more clone for your next run.

Now you just have to take clones from the keepers you find a couple weeks before you flower them out so you never loose the keepers you find and you don’t have to keep mothers all the time.
I would usually like to have one rooted from each keeper before I flower them out. But on occasion found myself taking one a couple weeks into flower cause one strain never rooted. And a once had to reveg as I forgot to clone one strain like a jackass.

Now thanks to budderton I know if you run a bunch of seeds and your not sure which ones you want to keep you can take a bunch of clips from each strain label them and keep them in the fridge for a month or 2. Then only have to clone the ones you liked.

Not sure if you know, I apologize if you already know this but by some of the stuff you said it seems like you think each seed of each strain is going to be the same. Seeds from the same strain can very GREATLY, some could be amazing and some could be horrible all from the same seeds. Some breeders are more stable than others and have plants that more similar and there’s where they are so different its hard to believe they came from same pack.

As for the purple/hard stem they are definitely harder to clone. Any chance you can repot and try and get some new fresher growth as it’s easier to clone. If not just take a bunch of clones so you can hopefully get at least a couple to root.
I’ve always used Rockwell cubes and a clone dome, never used a aerocloner.

8 Likes

I keep at least 2 rooted cuts of the mom if you like her, just in case something happens to 1 of em.
Keep more if you can, you can always kill/cull the weak or slow that way.
I have done it for years, space-saving for sure.

3 Likes

I understand with the purple branches

and it makes sense to clone off the specific plant you like an wait for it to root before flowering the original.

on the topic of actual mother , in my case

will it have trouble flowering with the purple hard stock?

I could also - if I successfully clone some cuts , run those to see what I get - but eliminating this overly large plant by flowering it would be good. it will probly take up the whole tent when I flip it…lol

I understand what your saying, and did know that but I i over thought the process of mothers l !

the two Bog lsd fems I grew - [or regs in any other case] could be wildly different! <which they were from the start - the one I kept was a mutant > and as I have only seen one of them flower - that doesn’t mean the second plant I kept for a mother will flower the same lol

so I kind of did it back words . lol

if I see any fresh growth I’ll clip them for clones .

im just wondering what this purple stemmed / long vegged plant will do during flower . maybe not produce buds as a fresh young plant would?

thanks

I guess you never know what a plant will be like so it’s nice to preemtively take cuts before going into flower- then keeping a clone as a mother for future cuts if you like the results.
ding ding ding !! I got it figured out

so I’ll probably up pot this BOG LSD - wait for some new growth, snip a few cuts and flip it!

the other pre98bk I will do the same . but watch out for stressing it.

2 Likes

I’d love to hear more about this method

2 Likes

My purple woody stemmed mom will be going outside… thanks to Goober Earth I found a spot a few miles from home.

I’m hoping it flowers well and goes undiscovered!

3 Likes

maybe I’ll put mine outside when the time comes I wonder if it will continue to grow in size if I give it a major upsized pot@

1 Like

I find that large older plants are harder to take care of, So I like to reset moms every few months or so.
You can totally flower that mother out it will just run into issues easier than your smaller clones and might not look as nice as the others. But you would probably pull a decent yield from it. That’s from my personal experience others might feel different.
Putting it outside is a great option. It can probably get out of its funk outside with some care and turn into a tree!!

@beneficial yes I used to take a clone of every seed before it went to flower. Was a pain when doing a pheno hunt of like 30-40 plants. Then I saw member budderton show off his technique of putting snips in the fridge in a ziplock back with no moisture, I think moisture is your enemy in this situation. I think he has went 6 weeks in the fridge, not sure if he has gone to 2 months. But by six weeks you should have a good idea of which ones you like. Also want to try and clone the ones you did take before you harvest them to make sure they root. If they do not root your only option to keep the plant you like is to reveg your flowered plant which can be a long and tedious process.

2 Likes

sweet.

it’s taking up hellaaa room. I might Just take my cuts , root them and flip them asap.

my flower tent should be ready for the next batch. I normally would take one out an replace it

whats your cloning set up?? :wink:

I like to flip to flower when my clones are fairly small but that’s just personal preference, probably because I like to use smaller pots.

My clone set up is just Rockwell cubes with a dome under t5 lights. Works great, also use the powder root stim.

1 Like

I always renew often the motherplants, i don’t let them age. It stay an annual after all. There is always a fresh cut rooting and forcing somewhere, at least to be safe. I rather prefer to split the efforts on a fews “moderated height / tender stems” motherplants, and to flower them before they become “little trees”.

Specially in perpetual where you’re are taking often big batch of cuts. When they have produced a bunch of clones during over 6 months (my extrem dead line for MP), they also become woody as fck to a high height. Wich is not very optimal to flower them, aside usual clones (SOG).

On the seed’s side, since a while i’ve a lot less surprises with cuts from fresh motherplants than with cuts from a single aging gigantic bonsaï.

2 Likes

Thanks for your entire post

this part is what is catching me up. . . don’t want to flower it out if she’s gonna be finniky . . . It’s pretty much a small tree now. I will feed it some nutrients and maybe a little up pot with fresh soil and it will push some new growth!

1 Like

this is my lady

some new growth on it. I think it would flower ok 0
Uploading: 20230305_194713.jpg…

1 Like

You’ve done it well with the secondaries, pretty cool and numerous (even if woody pretty high). Look like a C30 pot at first sight. I don’t really know your constraints so, it’s a hazardous opinion :

A - i keep it in vegetative, them train it (with a fews scarifications of stems) in a “horizontal” SCROG. Solid frame, ropes or the both. The time is already spended and used to make clones so … a little bit more will not fck the global productivity appeal of this plant.

B - i will select the best 4 secondaries (bigger diameters) and only keep them, pruning everything else. Giving her one/twos weeks, to recover, bending lightly the secondary remaining to optimize the flowering stage.

Don’t worry, i’ve known worse :

Pure ghanna landrace cloned as hell.

To give an image of my strategy, on the picture there is around 20/25 “fresh” motherplants on a GHE ebb&flow table.

It take a while to planify it for a perpetual, but a good turn over of mothers is quickly less stressfull in many ways.

3 Likes

wow!

took me a minute to understand your suggestion

thank you very much.

a) train it with a net / tie it down and flower it = lots of new vertical growth / hopefully big stretch in flower-

likely take up the entire tent - but could be a crazy experiment with decent yield.

I haven’t much room and have alot going on, this would likely consume my flower tent haha to be honest I don’t even know how it’s going to flower in my tent if I just left it.

option B sounds good. scary- but good also. . …

I haven’t many options. truly appreciate your time and well crafted suggestions … … I dont want to bin it . it’s some BOG genetics… it’s definitely too big as it is for my tent lol if I tie it down it will take up the whole tent hahahaha… I could get it it’s own tent and strap it down and just grow it by itself In a 10 gallon pot

im going to have to come up with something

I don’t know how it turned all woody…

hopefully i can pull something off with it! maybe even give it to someone to grow out

2 Likes

@beneficial @Calix or anyone else interested in the snips into the fridge tech I asked budderton about it in his thread and alot of good stuff was posted after I brought it up again you guys should check it out. Budderton is Super knowledgeable and a cool dude who does tons of pheno hunting and seed making.

3 Likes

I’m really digging how you made that adjustable frame with that drilled Stock Thinking about framing off a room with that type of Framing what exactly do you call that ?Im thinking about framing my room off and getting rid of the tent and trying to make a whole sprayable wipe down room with either some sort of white plastic paneling or panda film mounted to kilns treated plywood screwed right to framing like that.and sealed off outside and in With metal duct seal tape with my air cleaner right to the intake and the carbon piping right out my window

2 Likes

Maybe this pic will be more inspiring (it was the other side of the MP table) :

These frames are sold to build “shelves” in warehouse or in garages. Google say “shelving rails”. Pretty convenient when you have a good surface that you can split freely and to optimize. You only need a “grinder tool with a good metal disk”, screws, bolts and a decent “blueprint” in head. This veg lab was “fully open” and mounted in hurry, but it give a good idea of what you can do if you isolate each space etc … For the perspective, pots are ~20 centimeters height.

To have build a fews paces like that, my advise will be to use “OSB panel” that you screw on the rails. Make a big silicon trails between the OSB and the rails just before screwing it. For the bottom, use pond liners or something close. I’ve also used cheap “kids inflatable pool liner” too. Quality glue work well and are lasting to fix the liner on the OSB wall. For eveything else, nothing beat a cheap white paint ^^

The advantage of this king of structure is that you can externalize everything but the light, and also insulate it from outside (noise/temp) without headache.

These pics i’m sharing are from another age, it’s totally overkill for a homegrown. Since i’m back to 4X4 tents. I’m becoming lazzy and i no longer have the ancient constraints of productivity, it’s at the point that i’ve recently suppressed the veg space. I’ve replaced the motherplants, the clones and all the veg stuff simply by seeds in an unique space than i’m switching from 18/6 to 12/12. It ask more planification and to known pretty well the timing of the plants, but damn what a peace of mind ^^ I will open a new grow log later (in a big month) to show how i’m driving it. Don’t expect something impressive, i only grow for myself now.

Tell me the surface of the tent, so i can realize. If you’re short, it’s worth to try to train your recycled motherplants in the “wineyard style” and put it in a corner. The principle is simple, you train 4 secondaries to face the lights in an unique vertical angle, like wineyard but single face. Vertical scrog in a way. You can even put some clones without veg on the top of the pot of the motherplant to optimize ^^ The procedure is long to do in veg, but for just recycling the motherpants you will not feel a pain in the 4ss for you yearly ratio of grammers/day.

An example of recycled motherplant (with short cycles strategy), you have only to prune rightly in letting the best secondaries.

The advantage of the motherplants is that hormonally they are like hussein bolt waiting to run like the wind. They flower a bit longer but generally it’s not a risky business in term of yield.

I hope to inspire solutions ^^

4 Likes

If you can I would take clones and put it outside to flower. Outside it can get as big as it wants and you don’t have to worry about it taking up your whole tent or getting too root bound.