Clones Aero vs Rockwool let's talk about it

@99PerCent what’s your apprehension? Also I have done the way you mention and I’ve also just used plain rw. The ones in rockwool and then the cube directly into the promix how you explained seemed to stay a little healthier.

Not sure I understand your question!

I suppose a better way to word the question would be, why are you slow to adopt technology?

Just my way. – :relaxed: ----

3 Likes

try a heating pad under those peat pucks in the cold months… I have used peat pucks for years to clone with.

Hey amigos!!! I am bumping this thread to find it later! I have lots of input to share.

I have taken at least 1000 clones this year.

Half in rockwool

Half in my homemade cloner.

Little tip for now,

*To reduce temps in a rez;

Depends on the size, bigger rez 2liter bottles, small rez 500ml soda bottles.

You need two bottles of the same size. Fill with 7/8th water and put in the freezer. In the morning put one bottle in the rez, at night, take it out and replace it with the one in the freezer.

:v:t2:

7 Likes

Yeah i had a heating pad under.
Some strains did root in 10-12 days so i think the ones that took 5 wks are just tough.
In peat pucks do u keep em wet the entire time?
I kept rm wet for first 5-7 days then let them dry out before wetting agsin

I’ve got experience with both rockwool and DIY cloner.

I think that when done right success rate is probably similar.

Aero cloner has probably steeper tuning/learning curve. It takes some time to adjust pump timing (on/off cycles) to optimal (only get all stems wet but also have dry cycle long enough to promote root growth). When you open lid during dry cycle you want to have droplet on each stem. Some good starting point is 45 minutes off / 15 minutes on. You don’t want them to wilt.

Styrofoam is good… I’ve used plastic tubes cut by side to hold clones inside and be able to adjust height.

RW’s benefit is that it is passive and more scalable :slight_smile: .

Following photo is friend’s of mine. I like how big clones he takes, but I try to be more precise and also to cut short big fan leaves. I feel like I have better success rate this way.

This custom cabinet has hygrometer that keeps high humidity and ventilates automatically.

7 Likes

Another friend of mine built aero cloner with nebler (ultrasonic fogger). Very succesful…

He keeps temps 21-22°C, cycle 15/45 on/off, water with adjusted pH 5,6

https://grower.cz/photos/028669/0097.jpg
https://grower.cz/photos/028669/0098.jpg
https://grower.cz/photos/028669/0099.jpg
https://grower.cz/photos/028669/0100.jpg

6 Likes

THx all. Pretty much answered all my Qs

I squeeze a good bit of water out of them while mashing the puck around the stem… having them dripping wet is a no no just want them moist.

1 Like

15/45 is a rule of thumb on starting point? 24 hrs on is a no no?

In order for rockwool to work well I think you have to fill a tray. To few clones and it’s to hard to keep proper humidity and they dry out to fast. I have a clone king 25 I got new for $65. Can’t beat it really most strains root in less than a week. Only expenses is collars, clonex, and rx green cloning solution.

@Sativa1 what cycle do you run the pump?

I run my aero cloner 24/7 :wink: roots usually within a few days, latest cuttings around 4 days to root :v: The only problem I have with mine is there are only 12 spots lol, I have modified the riser from the pump to be shorter so the water is not directly hitting the base of the stems, they only get hit by the water droplets that splash up which seems to keep them perfectly moist but not soaking :thumbsup: Mine is a Platinum Super Cloner 12 :wink:

Here’s a few pics from about 8 days on the fully rooted ones

5 Likes

@FeralA9X I’d say you’re doing a mighty fine job. Thanks for the post.

2 Likes

All the time. Sometimes in the summer the reservoir runs a little warm because of this but Its not too bad.

1 Like

I have cloned in several mediums. By far the most simple and least expensive is to dip and soak the cuttings in aloe Vera over night, then straight into a k cup filled with a 30%/30%/30% mix of perlite, vermiculite, and peat. Rooted and ready for transplant in 2 weeks. I have used aero cloners, and have a 60 site king cloner collecting dust as we speak. For my grow it was not reliable enough. I may have 20 different strains in a cloner at the same time, some would do very well and others would suffer. So out it went. I do use a 180 site aero cloner at our i502 farm but we only run a few strains and they are very hardy. They would root in you’re hand! And for a large scale production it’s the only way. I have used Rockwool the most with much success over the years as well as rapid rooters. I am never in a hurry for clones so the method that keeps the clone the happiest is always the best for me.
Peas

4 Likes

@Beancracker thanks for the post. I’m in no rush either, but my train of thought was along the lines of, the faster it roots the less time for problems.

Im at 7 days on 64 clones in aero cloner w no roots yet.
Temps are good and clones are all healthy n some are even growing.
Timer is on
30on/30off/30on/60off30on/30off over n over

Now i did take the 5 toughest to clone previously plants outta my 10 so im hoping theyre just slow and show any day now
Gonna change the water tomorrow

2 Likes