Cloning... My final frontier

I have failed horribly at my previous attempts to propagate by cloning, this is it I will learn to clone now and during this grow or forget it, seeds from then on I have made my own fems before and it damn well could happen again. But threats aside I am seeking advice from successful cloners. This log will fully accept different technique ideas, I have more cloning products available for use in my current selection. If you are a successful cloners give me a hand.

8 Likes

Cloning attempt Alpha:
Things on hand for this attempt

I have at least one plant in the grow room with side growth long enough to work with, and with that I will repair to my lair. Take two cuts and get started.

3 Likes

Step one cleaning things with alcohol, wipe down cutting board and razor blade with alcohol the blade has oil on it that could be a problem

Wiped it down two times now my fingers level no oil on blade
But while I’m at it I better do the same thing for me
A little wipe down for me! Can’t be too clean I’m told.

10 Likes

It is very easy, you are more than likely overdoing it. What are you going to put the cutting in? I can tell you how to build a little homemade aerocloner for like less than $20 an i guarantee your clones will root.

hhw

16 Likes

I’ll try it! post instructions here or send by pm, documenting all attempts on the way to my success. Be praised for your skill

5 Likes

I use rockwool cubes for creating rooting my clones, fire away any questions you have :wink:

You will see in the link below my last batch of clones.

I have found when teaching people to clone it is very often the grip they have on the stem when inserting the cutting into the medium causes most failures as I have watched and instructed at every other step.

Its a fine line between firm and over firm where the stem crushes, this is less of a problem in air cloners as you dont have to insert the stem into the rockwool cube (spiking it in), instead usually into a foam insert with a slice in to place instead of spiking it in.

I usually have roots from cuttings taken from 4-7 days strain dependant :wink:

https://overgrow.com/t/herbies-garden/4061?u=herbie

3 Likes

Meet alpha donor, has two branches of side growth one is four inches and the other is five.

Cut and quickly placed in R.O water

4 Likes

Upstairs in the Uncle_Al technical center, I trim the side growth from the cutting. Scarify the last 3/4 of an inch, split the cutting length wise for 1/2 inch then dip the cut in the I.B.A. powder tap excess powder off. Next I place the cutting in a glass containing R.O. water that has been treated with one drop of superthrive per gallon as the label states

2 Likes

Now the glass and cuttings go in a dark area, such as a cupboard or drawer in a warmer room, temperatures are down here below normal. So I am going to place a low wattage light bulb in a lower drawer of a two drawer cabinet

Good night Alpha cuts

2 Likes

Ok @Herbie, I have cubes on hand. And another plant I can cut, how about the many details that you have omitted. Such as water treatment, Scraping and cutting, light vs. dark let’s be specific. I can follow directions when actual directions are given. Be praised for your skills when I succeed

1 Like

Why not spliting open the rock wool cube and placing the cutting in there without spiking it. Like you would on a neoprene insert. Easy.

1 Like

That seems like a reasonable suggestion, however I need him to reveal the whole picture

2 Likes

I have learned a lot from @Herbie, or at least he’s tried to teach me, i’m sure he can help you. If he’s got the time now…

1 Like

I just don’t want to miss a step or take something for granted

Ok no problem, Im just making my evening meal folks, but I will give full details after my tea and walking the dog.

From start to finish, pre soaking cubes to cutting method and tools used and nutrients no problem :wink:

To transplanting time :sunglasses:

Just give me a few hours I promise Iwill post it up this evening @Uncle_Al @MadScientist

2 Likes

WOOHOO!

Thanks @Herbie, i know i speak for a lot of people in here when i say, we dig your posts… With pictures and all.

Enjoy your meal, and make sure your presas don’t eat anybody down the street… LOL

1 Like

I have the time but not the plants to kill, your participation is appreciated

2 Likes

I’m gonna enjoy this cloning thread very much. Thanks for starting it @Uncle_Al!

2 Likes

Don’t drop your cuts in R.O. water, use tap water, the chlorine in tap water helps keep the cuts disinfected. I have never scarified or sliced lengthwise or stripped the outer layers, just barely rub on some paper towel to get excess moisture off and dip in powder then place in your medium. If you are really worried use the peat pucks they have great PH for cloning. PH of your medium matters. I just use promix and its not as great but it works and its one less item I have to keep in my inventory. I’ve cloned in rockwool before, if you do that you have to adjust the PH with a little lemon juice in the water, depending on your tap. Use tap for the medium as well because soggy stems are from bacteria etc.

I see those aerocloners get results but I also see people getting results with a glass of tap water so I don’t know if its worth the effort and space of extra equipment. I like to K.I.S.S. or try to, just me.

5 Likes

It might not be worth it but i tell you, i love gadgets and anything weed related. I am looking at one, for when i start cloning. Check it out and tell me it doesn’t look good.

A friend of mine needed to do clones, and we did it like this.

1. 45 degree cut dipped in powder, then dried for a few hours to allow the powder to be absorbed
  2. Placed in a tupperware with tap water and aerated with a fishtank pump to allow air in the water
  3. All leaves were cut in half
  4. 10 days after he had all cuttings rooted.
4 Likes