Cloning... My final frontier

The equipment you will need varies on how many clones you are wanting to produce.

The equipment you need will also vary from method to method.

The method I will explain later for you is what I used to do whan I was on a 500 clone/stekjies per day job in Holland over a decade ago. Its pretty much the same method most comercial nurseries employ still today for semi hardwood cuttings.
@Uncle_Al the blades will work, but scalpels are better as the blade is thinner :wink:

3 Likes

@MadScientist Yeah I just get fed up with stuff taking up space, because when its not being used that is dead spaceā€¦ For instance my clone trays double as drainage trays for when I move the rooted clones into big cups for veg. I am going to attack my organic supplements soon, Iā€™m tired of mixing soil too, weā€™ll see how that works though. Iā€™m trying to keep my grow room bloat under control. But maybe Iā€™ve been watching those Tiny Home tv shows too much.

3 Likes

Holland word for equivalent in spanish ā€œEsquejesā€ā€¦ Languages are super easyā€¦

Xacto knifes, are immortal in this regard.

1 Like

There is room in Uncle_Alā€™s heart to try this too, donā€™t feel slighted by the order of attempts happen I am not going to disregard any legitimate suggestions, everybody gets praised for their skills. I learn a lot and hopefully propagate!

1 Like

Rockwool. What I do using a fresh strees free clone

1. Ph h20 to 5.5 ( yes i agree tap is better than r.o)

2. Place your cube in the 5.5 h20 for like 30 seconds asuming it is no larger than 2"

3. Remove cube and let drip Do Not Squeeze the cube

4. With clean object enlargen o deepen the cube hole if necessary

5. I use either powder or gel on clone tip. My clone only has a 45degree cut on the tip with bottom leafs removed and leaf tips trimmed.

6. Insert clone into cube, mist this one time only and but in a humidity dome.

When I cut the clone from the mom it goes into a cup of the same water used for cube preaoak. I leave it 3-30 min depending on many things.

If you use r.o water you must add a very mild nutrient solution or at likea silica and a calmag. I never use anthing less than 100ppms as my base. From there depending on many factors you may add different complements to assist in rooting.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll trade you half of my cloning abilities for half of your seedling abilities :laughing:

I might just be an idiot savant when it comes to taking cuttings, but itā€™s also something Iā€™ve been doing with houseplants, trees, and anything else I want more of since I was but a wee child. Unless your cloning victim completely spluts, itā€™ll grow roots eventually.

All I do right now is:

• Prepare small pot with a seedling soil mix, nicely moistened
  • Use a chopstick to make a planting hole for the clone in the soil, deeper than your stem will go
  • Chop off the lucky victim branch, trying to get some leaf nodes near the bottom. Clip off those leaves, and cut back lobes of any other fan leaves.
  • Re-cut stem at 45Āŗ angle (below, but close to the now empty leaf node). I use nice, sharp sewing scissors for this.
  • Place it in your hole, making sure to get the bottom leaf node below the soil line, and press down surrounding soil so it stays upright
  • Put on humidity dome, move to a dark-ish, warm place for 24-48 hours (I put them on top of my T5s)
  • Afterwards, move to seedling-level lighting, leaving humidity dome on and more-or-less airtight for 7-10 days
  • Open vent on humidity dome, hopefully very soon afterwards youā€™ll see new growth starting.

I use 1 liter bottles, cut in half, for my humidity domes, and take off the cap after a week. If thereā€™s no condensation inside the bottle after I move it into the light, Iā€™ll take off the cap and spray with water. Once new growth starts, I take the dome off. I donā€™t notice much of a difference with rooting hormone, Clonex, etc., so at this point Iā€™ve stopped using it. In two weeks, I usually have a happy little baby :slight_smile:

Caveat: this approach isnā€™t like clockwork, and there may be quite a bit of variance in how long it takes for a clone to take hold. Like I said, many root in about 2 weeks, though the current record holder is 7 weeks for me.

4 Likes

So @Viva_Mexico you are telling me that the clone (to be) cutting needs only to be 2 inches long?

1 Like

Now we know you are a sushi freakā€¦ LOL I love sushi!

This one time doing clones with a buddy, we would cut anything that had an internode in it, like cutting right below the internode, not on the main stem of course; in the little branch to be cutā€¦ Some were like three inches some were like one and a halfā€¦

3 Likes

No sorry, super stoned

The amount of time you leave the cube in the water to presoak depends on the cube size. For cubes under 2" a quick soak is fine. Big blocks need more time.

2 Likes

@Viva_Mexico, I will obtain XActo knife a hobby lobby tomorrow evening after work. About the tap water do I need it to breathe off the chlorine first or right out of the tap? I can adjust my near 7 water ok. My Hanna Gro-check ec/tds/pH meter is whacked out it looks like I need a new probe I might need a couple days to rectify that, are these cubes adequate?

1 Like

Exacto, box cutter, or sharp sissors, as long as you clean with alcohol first like you did.

Mmm, if it smells or tastes like chlorine maybe wait, but if not, donā€™t worry, by the time the root nubs apear the chlorine will be gone.

Those cubes are great. I like to make usally at least 2 or 3 times the volume of water that i am going to soak the cubes in.

3 Likes

:+1: 1 inch Grodan cubes are what I use. They root clones like clockwork.

2 Likes

Dont mean to clog-up your thread but just wanted to add this:
I try to take cuttings that are around 2 inches to 4 inches, for my system. Some as small as 1-inch The shorter, the better to me.

5 Likes

I will take that into consideration, thanks for the input. I was having a hard time wrapping that around my brain

the rockwool will fall apart an become a sloppy glob of mess after watering it for a while if you cut it like the neoprene should clarify lol ive also had really good success with cloning alot like herbie method i can post instruction as well if you like

1 Like

I was kinda concerned about what happens to the cube I had no idea it would decompose

only if you mess with it like cut it or squeeze it lol i should have clarified totally my bad it will stay good as long as its intact trust me if you seen my threads love me some rockwool

just read the thread a bit more in my exp the rockwool will fall apart but if herbie has suggested it i would think it would be ok everytime i read something by herbie i learn something i always try to read what he posted when i see it so if he said cut it like the neoprene cut it like the neoprene he aint gonna steer you wrong

1 Like

I cut 6" bottom limbs. Trimed enough to fit in small styrofoam cup, wit enough of stem hanging down thru a quarter sized hole in bottom of cup, To go 1/4" into the water of a custum cut board(used holesaw on hardwood 1Ɨ12. Unpainted or treated) ontop of a fishtank. No powders or gels, just tank, water, airstones( the more the better) and fish,filled cup with grow rocks to support cutting. Used florescent grow lites.:100: everytime!. @Viva_Mexico areo system is probly only one that could even compare to this system. Half of tank for cloning, half of tank for fish, give fish plenty of dark hiding places cause lights are allways on. Puts roots on faster, better than anything. Plus fishtanks are cool.:v:

4 Likes

I feel your pain, I used to make clones like crazy and recently theyā€™ve been failing more than not. But I think I know why from watching a friend do it well.

I was leaving them under the humidity dome and misting them indefinitely. You donā€™t want to do that. You want them under the dome and misted for a few days, and then gradually wean them off it. If theyā€™re kept under maximum humidity they arenā€™t motivated to start growing roots.

Also, if you use rooting gel or honey, make sure thereā€™s no air bubble under the base of the stem before you plant it. It can block the capillary function. And I find larger cuts take better than small ones. Also the state of the plant and cut is super important, you want a very green, rapidly growing shoot. If the plant is getting rootbound and slowing down growth the cuts will not take.

If itā€™s rootbound itā€™s better to transplant the mother and take cuts a week later.

4 Likes