Cloning... My final frontier

Cloning is fairly simple you have to follow simple rules. Ive done somewhere around 600-800 cuts last year myself.

1. Only select healthy cuts, usually from the top of the plant.

2. Proper environment, you need a warm location, 75-80F, Domes to keep humidity in, and eventually you will have to harden them off by taking off the dome. Use Flo’s or CFL. There is an optimum environment for cuts.

3)Proper air/water ratio in your medium or cloner. Rockwool, Vermiculite, Coco. etc.
Too much water causes stem rot and a failed cut. Like rockwool cubes need to be flicked a few times to shake out excess moisture, Coco on the other hand needs to be packed into a propagation cell so the cutting will stand. My aerocloner needs a timer to keep the pump from getting too hot and heating up the solution.

1. Sanitation, start clean, and keep it clean. because of high humidity. You expose yourself to stem rot, PM, etc. If you clone directly to soil consider using a product that has fungicide in it.

2. Use rooting hormones, cannabis usually does not require it. However to increase chances of your cutting taking root find a product that has IBA or NAA in the formula. Hormex for example has different levels of hormone in it for more difficult cuttings. I personally prefer a concentrated product like Dip and Grow. You can control the concentration with dilution. You do not have to spend alot on fancy gels a generic formula found at most garden stores is usually a stronger formula than what you find at a grow shop. You can manipulate natural hormone levels by trimming the top of the cutting, so the plant will focus on root growth.

3. Some cultivars are hard to clone… SFVOG was hard to clone, GG4 can be troublesome, some like Chemdawg 4, are easy to root. Some like headband do not like clone hormones.

4. Use mild feed formulas when roots show, aggressive rooters will show PK problems, adjust formulas to prevent red stems. A good clone will look green with no off colors in the stems.

Hope this helps

9 Likes

Earlier in this thread it was suggested that a surgical scalpel was a better instrument to use than a razor blade and that an exacto knife was the cloning standard, after some consideration I took it upon myself to research the thickness of all three blades in question. Google provided the results and that is…

That all three blades are the same thickness at .015 inches or .4mm for those that are metrically impaired.

So with that as a fact all 3 are sharpened in the same manner the exception to this is what is known as an obsidian scalpel which is used to cut at the Cellular level.

The benefit to using a scalpel or exacto knife is that there is a handle to help prevent getting cut yourself. I do agree that is a very valid safety feature,

I am not criticizing anyone’s suggestion, just checking out the facts as I said there is definitely a safety benefit and perhaps an added Element of control
These tools still must be sterilized in alcohol before use. A razor blade takes an extended effort to clean due to the packing oils that most certainly are present.

Knowledge is power.

6 Likes

This thread demonstrates that there are many viable techniques with which to produce nicely rooted, vigorous clones.

Cloning is fairly routine for me, as I have been doing it for a quite a while now. I keep it very simple.
I sterilize my hands as well as my tools with 91% rubbing alcohol. My tools are a new single edge razor blade, small, sharp scissors and a 6 inch length of cut wire hanger.
I do not use water at all because I only take two cuttings at a time and put them into the medium very quickly.
I like to use Jiffy 7 pellets. I take only about a 2 inch cutting. 45 degree angle cut, dip into rooting powder, insert into hole made in pellet with wire hanger piece. Gently push the moist pellet hole closed around the inserted cutting trying to make as much contact with the peat as possible.
Put the cuttings under dome for three or four days, mist once or twice while under dome.
Begin to crack open dome gradually after three or four days, removing it after about 6 or seven days. Roots begin to show around this time so I gently remove netting from pellets and transplant into 16 or 20 ounce cups.
I do not achieve 100% success, but the vast majority root nicely. However, some strains can be finicky for sure.

Good luck @Uncle_Al
You will get the hang of it soon!

7 Likes

Lots of good tips in this thread! We will get you cloning in no time.

I took a bunch of cuttings this weekend, so I took pictures step by step to show you what works for me. I take super small clones, but this scales up with bigger cuts.

First step is to cut a healthy branch from your mother and place it in a cup of tap water. This is the single most important step. Sickly cuts take forever to root and begin new growth. Often I will take multiple branches and let them soak for a day or two until I get around to sticking them in cups of perlite.

Next I strip all fan leaves except the top node.

Then I cut the fan leaves.

And score the stem.

Dip the stem in cloning powder.

Finally stick it in the cup of perlite. These have a small hole about a half inch from the bottom like a hempy bucket. They are watered in with Superthrive at 10 drops per gallon.

The clone cutting then goes under a dome for two days. Then they get watered every other day and slowly open the vents more each time. Within two to three weeks, they get transplanted into party cups until they start growing a couple of new nodes. From then on, I’ll either transplant them for veg, give them away, or toss them.

7 Likes

Ok this is just how I do my cloning other methods products and equipment are available.

Equipment;
Timer
T5, flourescent, LED light.
Propogator.
Rockwool cubes 1.5" for personal use and 1/2" for comercial use :wink: 1/2" are cheaper.
Conex rooting gel
A small screwdriver ( I use the one for calibrting the ph pens, like a jewelers screw driver, a match stick will work also)
Scalpels
Scissors
Glass of water (from mix/solution for soaking cubes)
Small plastic cup (clear measuring caps/lids from calibration fluid bottles I use)
Clean sterile chopping board
Plastic rubish bags (for the rubbish)
Donor plant (mother plant)
1 spray / misting bottle
Tape measure

1 week before cloning the mother plant, I start to have her well fed and sprayed with nitrozyme on an evening just before lights off, to ensure plenty of fresh new growth tips.

24 - 36 hours before taking clones;

I make a solotion 10 litre solution / nutrient mix in a 15 litre bucket with the following using tap water to start, EC approx 0.2 - 0.4 EC and a ph of approx 7.2ph

Formulex 3ml/l (growth technology)
Nitrozyme 5ml/litre (growth technology)
Canazyme 2.5ml/l (Canna)
Root stimulator 1ml/l (B’cuzz)

To acheive an EC readin of 0.8EC - 1.0EC depending on the starting point ec of the tap water.
I want to have approx 0.6 -0.8 of food in the nutrient solution mix. So the formulex is the variable in this mix if I need to higher the EC level, all the others stay at the same ratios.

I then use PH correction fluid to adjust the ph to 5.5ph - 5.8ph

Then I add the cubes usually a tray of 77 x 1.5 inch rockwool cubes. I have 2 brands available Grodan and Cuteiline.

I leave them to soak for 24 - 36 hours, on return the ph has risen to 5.8 - 6.0 and temp is at 18c

Now I have all my clean and sterile propogators lined up with lights to go over them. I take the base of the propogators and put in the black plastic trays the cubes came in, these act as their stand or pot. I place the cubes into their wholes after giving a slight squezze or shake to get rid of the excess solution, theyare still wet but closer to moist than wet and not dry. The excess is collected in a waste bucket not back into the same mix and cube bucket.

Once all the cubes are placed, i do mine like a checkers board unless tight for space then next to each other. If only cloning a few get a propogator suited to your requirements, to big not enough humidity, too small over crowded and too high humdity leading to molds and uneven success of clones. Now I take my screwd driver and measure against the cube height about 2/3 of the way down, I dont want the clone sticking out of the bottom of the cube, but not all the cubes holes are even so I make them even using the screw driver, 2/3rds of the cube height from top to bottom. If its too baggy i make a new hole with the screwdriver. I want the clone spiked correctly and gently, not sittin gloose inthe hole but spiked into the last 1/3 of solid un skewered rockwool. The smaller 1/2 inch cubes are thinner but taller and more forgiving in this respect i find.

Now I have all my cubes ready, pre spiked skewerd holes and soaked at the required EC 0.8 - 1.0 and PH 5.8-6.0

I have a bottle of nitrozyme mixed in a spray mister with 5 ml/l to tap water at 18c

Scalpel, choping board, scissors, tape measure pulled out or ruler at 15cm so I can make all clones at 10-12cm tall to suit my propogator, when the clone is in the cube approx 8-10cm will be above and 2 cm in the cube spiked.

Glass of the mix the cubes were soaked in, if taking multiple clones at time.

I now cut the branch I want to tkae the clone from bearing in mind what im leaving behind for new growth, it either goes straight to the chopping board or if doing multiples into a glass while taking others, then to the chopping board.

I place it against my measure to see where im going to cut as I have cut more stem than I need by several centimeters, then carefully strip away the preflowers and any lower branches / internodes. I only keep the top 2-3 set of leaves / internodes trimming the rest below off using the scalpel or scissors. I try to make the point of selecting where i will cut with the scalpel to include a trimmed internode that will be going into the rockwool, this acts like a barb on a fishing hook, and also gives a larger area for the rooting hormone as well as naturally containg more hormones for rooting in that area of the stem. Its not always possible but I try to get that if possible.

WhenI actually cut the stem I cut at a 45 degree angle along the stem to increase surface area again, if there are any tatty bits from a bad cut or blunt blade I trim it at 45 degrees across from the other side so it then looks like an arrow or sharp pencil point. I trim the internode if left on too.

I will draw on some pics borrowed from other members here in this thread trying to explain exactly where I prefer to cut with the scalpel.

Once the excess is trimmed of and the clone is cut with the scalpel (this is done in seconds) I place the bottom 1 cm into the rooting gel, (clonex that is in a clear plastic cup). I give it about 30 seconds to a minute, as Im usually doing multiples so its like a conveyor belt :wink:

Then I take the clone and spike it. By this I mean place it into the rockwool cube, I want it to actually pierce into the base just of the cube, not sit loose in it. Once I have spiked it I press the rockwool into the hole around the clones stem to secure it tight using the point of my fiskers but kind of level with the cube side on. Tucking it in so to speak.

At this point I trim the ends of the fan leaves left on and any more excess I dont want on it leaving the top 2-3 sets of leaves / internodes. I cant stress enough this is somethig done in seconds not minutes, you don’t want the cut end of the clone in AIR or you get an air lock in the stem, some people hold them upside down toprevent this. If doing multiples the stem is sat in the nutrient mix to stop that. If storing them for later, they want to be cut much longer than needed bagged and put into a fridge at about 3 degrees.

Then I plac einto the propogator, spray with nitrozume mix inthe mister and place on a 24 hour light cycle for 24 hours only. Depending how fast you are at filling the propogator, creating humidity, having the right temps and Rh% the clones will bend over and wilt in the first 24 hours. I have all the vents closed and the temp at 21 c at this point RH in the 80-90 range, mist runnning down inside of the propogator etc

After 24 hours all the clones are stood up straight, I put the timer on 18/6. I wipe the lid of the propogator several times a day, and start opening the vents very slightly on the second day, and increase the vent opening each day.

I spray with nitrozyme each night before lights out, and start to see roots typically on day 5-7 depending on the strain.

If the cubes start to feel light on day 3 I use a fresh batch of the same solution they were soaked in (the cubes) dip and gently squeeze the excess to run off. Some may take longer than others to root and may require dipping 2 or 3 times.

Once rooted I transplant into plastic cups with soil in, I watet them in using the same solution, they then are damped off, slowly taken out of the propgator and high humidity, by lifting the lid up and propping up with wood to allow airflow through for a day. Then the lid comes off and they are plants themselves, new clones / rooted plants.

After I see roots coming throught the soil to the sides of the cups Its then time totransplant to their final pot for me other methods vary.

Then once spiked into cube, trim the fan leaves like this. Do this after spiking in the cube to prevent air gettting into the stem.

And hopefully you end up with a lovely clone that becomes a plant like these;

Once out of the propogator I like to have them at 25-27c and 50% humidity. This is acheived slowly throughthe damping off period as they acclimatise to coming out of the propogator from a lower temp and higher humifdity.

I have seen many growers fail at his point and there clones leaves curl up and they wither away because they have not been damped off or acclimatised. thi shappens mostly when taking from under flouros or leds to hps or mh lamps and the higher temp and low humidity just crucify a samll clone.

I hope this helps you @Kingtut and @Uncle_Al

Any questions just fire them away at me. This is just my method that I learned to do and have good sucess other methods are availabe.

Thank you to the other mebers who pics I have borrowed and drawn on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit, when spiking the clone hold it firmly but not too tight as to crush the stem. When I say this if you ever press the main stem to slow down the main cola you know how hard you rpressingto damage the stem cell structure, you dont want to grip the clone that tight. It has to be firm bu tnot to crush the stem, this is where a lot of peole fail that I teach. I can show watch and monitor everything else what I cant show is how hard to grip only try and explain. Gentle but with enough force to grip it while pushing it just into the rockwool so its spiked. If you have to pull it out agin for nay reason immediately re dip in clonex before re spiking.

9 Likes

Very good read! I am not familiar with the nitrozime, I will have to investigate. I have such a limited supply of grow stuff where i live.

When I use rockwool cubes i like to flip them upside down so the wider part is at the bottom. Than i can make my own hole a little smaller than the size of the clone so it stays nice and firm. I also think that when the hole is a little small, the rockwool will scratch the surface of the clone tip and help absorption of the clone product.

5 Likes

Its basically a seaweed kelp extract product growth stimulator good for in the veg period only as feed or spray. It is good for flushing soils through that have been overwatered or other problems too.

3 Likes

Makes sense to me! I do as well, 14-7 days before I clone.

3 Likes

I like it this way too… No to spiking, since the time i did it was in peat pellets.

I was gonna say that too. But it seems Master Jedi, there’s not one single thing here you forgot about.

2 Likes

I think this may very well saved my bubblegum, this and the flushing.

2 Likes

You can see why I have been putting off that response, sorry to the OG members when I got back from walking my dogs I realised it wasn’t a 2 minute response.

I prefer to normally do these type of responses with pics of my own but had no material to do pics with at present. I considered doing it with some of my box hedging from around the pond but my girlfriend said that was nuts. So I am greatfull to @ReikoX for his post and pictures amongst other mebers too @Viva_Mexico @Calyxander @Scissor-Hanz @MadScientist plus any others i’ve missed for their contribution.

That took me 2 hours to write up man, time for a coffee.

Regards,

Herbie :wink: (Gone for a spliff) :blush:

11 Likes

Herbie you rule! I think your real name is Clark Kent! :smiley:

3 Likes

And one more question, when I can make clones from mother plant? Is there any rule? Do I need to wait while it starts flower? Or I can take it anytime in veg stage?

3 Likes

Anytime during veg. If you are just learning I don’t recommend trying to clone from a flowering plant.

4 Likes

As Viva_Mexico said any time whilst in veg 18/6 light regime.

It is possible to clone when in bloom/flower but not recomended for the novice :wink:

Try to choose fresh young shoots for using as your clone as opposed to older thicker branches :wink:

Hope that helps @Kingtut

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting on this since you said you were going to post thanks for the lesson herbie

3 Likes

Sorry it was 12 days I know, but I didnt want to do it half heartedly :wink:

When I actually get to taking some clones my self I will do one with pics if anyone needs further instruction, its always easier with pics :sunglasses: @Growinnblowin

5 Likes

Your too good to us sir I’m sure with your instructions I’ll go from 10-14 days see roots to closer to you week to see roots let me get a cheer for those willing to teach let me get two cheers for those willing to learn haha an I completely understand you do something half-assed you get half assed results one rule with hash that always stands true in anything else shit in shit out

4 Likes

Hip Hip hurray, hip hip hurray, hip hip hurray :blush:

5 Likes

Good technique. I do this too. :+1:
Holds the cuttings better and spreads the moisture more evenly throughout the rockwool flat, IMO.

2 Likes