Co2 in a Tent Adventure / Design Feedback Needed

I’m a total noob when it comes to co2 and I know probably shouldn’t be doing this without a sealed room.

That said, this is more of an experiment as I want to try to see first hand the benefits of using co2. Only using in weeks 3-8. I understand I’m going to spend some extra $$$ doing this but I’ve always wanted to try.

Long story short:

I started providing the ladys last Friday (start of 3rd week) and the 20lb tank just ran out (after 7 days)!

Is this typical for a 8x4 tent?

What could I do to make the Co2 last longer?

Here are my specs / setup.

• 20lb tank
  • Autopilot controller - center @ 1200 zone @ 400 avg @1475 for the last week
  • Titan Regulator (outside of tent) connected via hose to the back of an osculating fan inside the tent.

-8x4 tent with 2 hlg 550 is in a somewhat large sealed room which has it’s own ac (mini split).
-Dual hose portable ac inside the tent
-Negative pressure in the tent
-Carbon filter inside the tent connected to inline fan which is outside on top of the tent all connected by 6" ac ducting
-Output of inline ducting is ran back inside the tent from the other side connected to the input hose on the ac. (carbon filter and ac are on opposite sides of the tent)
-Output hose of ac from inside the tent is exhausting out to the outside via window of the larger sealed room.

Would putting the portable AC outside the tent make a difference?

Would turning off the inline fan during the day make a difference?

Anything you would do different here?

Or is this just the nature of using a tent with co2?

1 Like

I don’t use Co2 but from what I understand it is more for sealed rooms, not tents. You are pumping it in and it is not only escaping through vents and such but also being taken out by your inline fan which you are pumping straight outside. I read your post so I get you know that and want to try it anyway. I get that. Nice to have first hand experience with a thing. But with this setup I think all you can really do is deal with going through way more tanks then you expected to. Good luck with your grow. I would also very concerned about breathing high levels of Co2. That’s something to keep in mind.

5 Likes

@DougDawson thank you for the feedback.

the inline is being sent back into the tent and then back through the input hose on the portable ac. But I do agree that there is only so much a tent is going to be able to hold in.

the output of the ac inside the tent is going outside. now that might be pumping it out but wasn’t sure. i thought that was the purpose of using a dual hose portable ac but maybe I need to put the portable ac outside of the tent and it would suck less of the co2 from the tent out?

1 Like

I have essentially the same setup, like exact minus the lights, I do not have my exhaust on while my inline is on, I have clear tubing from my regulator to the roof of my tent where it is dispersed in between two oscillating fans angled slightly up, then I have two Honeywell turbos blowing straight up off of the floor. I usually keep her around 1200. I get appx a month from a 20lb as 2 does a cycle with some left normally

1 Like

@TopShelfTrees1 - my exhaust is my inline sucking from the carbon filter but it’s getting pumped back in via ac input hose. I don’t have any other exhaust fan besides that exhaust hose on the portable AC which is all hot so I can’t pump that back in or turn it off.

I will turn off my inline during feeding and see what happens.

Thank you for the help!

1 Like

:thinking: ahhh I see, ok now I get it. Is it that hot that you need ac in there too? Crazy! I’m sure we’re in much different climates but damn, and with LEDs too. Other than that I’m not sure where you could be losing it that quickly , it’s weird I can pump mine up to 1400 and it takes a loooong time to dissipate below 8. I’m sure we’ll figure this out bro.

1 Like

unfortunately yes, i can’t get my lung room low enough in the summer.

but i could put the portable ac outside the tent (still in lung room) and somehow rig ducting from portable ac cold air vent back in the tent. this might change the negative pressure. but that way it might only exhaust the heat output from the portable ac outside from the lung room and not the from tent. :thinking:

1 Like

You might find this article helpful about the effects of CO2 be careful to your exposure to it as it is an inert gas. :peace_symbol:

https://learn.kaiterra.com/en/air-academy/is-carbon-dioxide-harmful-to-people?hs_amp=true

1 Like

Probably a dumb question, but I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere…. You’re only running it with lights on right?

1 Like

yes the controller only turns on when the lights are on. but yes good question. Sorry for not mentioning that.

1 Like

@OhNo555 - I didn’t see any article posted. Would love to read it.

Ah a shot in the dark :wink:.
Probably just the nature of leaks/exhaust then if your meter is functioning properly.

1 Like

Yes indeed.

I was hoping an expert on grow room design could chime into on the technical aspects of how I have things setup and if there is a different configuration that would produce better results.

Today I’m going to take the portable ac outside of the tent but still in lung room. Then rig ducting to push that cold air into the tent but still send the exhaust from the inline back into the portable ac. In addition I will turn the exhaust off all together during day time.

Will report back to see if it made any difference. I guess at this point, trial and error is all I can do.

1 Like

Ok, switched to the new setup as reported above and I can tell it’s holding in the co2 for much longer before the regulator kicks back on. understand it will never be ideal in a tent but this will be much more workable from a cost perspective.

thanks @TopShelfTrees1 and @DougDawson for the suggestions. Turning off all exhaust fans is a must for co2 in a tent.

2 Likes

Absolutely. You are correct, it will never be the perfect setup. But it is manageable. Nothing about my grows is ever perfect, lol. Good luck with your grow bud. :v:

2 Likes

How hot does it get in the tent? If your going to pump in gas you need to compensate everything else. Higher temps, more light, and nutrients. That portable ac is terrible for what your trying to do. Been there done that. All of the air exhausting from portable ac IS sucking out all your gas. Try and control the temp in the tent with mini split in lung room. Please watch your exposure, it will creep up on you before you know it.

2 Likes

it can get in the upper 90’s on a hot day so I need the portable ac. what i changed was taking the portable outside of the tent and just blowing it in with ducting. That way the air exhausting from the portable ac is from the lung room not the tent.

Upper 90s a bit much. I’ll let mine get to about 93. Haven’t pushed it much further. Sounds like you got it going your direction. I’ve got my room sealed fairly well and go through 3 1/2 20lb tanks per 4 month grow. I run it start to finish. Just to give you an example.

oh nice. to avg under a tank a month is very workable.

i’ve been told it really doesn’t matter too much in veg. i guess you don’t think so. have you compared the difference to doing co2 for both veg and flower vs just flower?

1 Like

Have not compared. Ive read both ways. Seems they do have accelerated growth during veg. Have nice fat buds in the end. Only on my 4th grow so still alot to learn. I run my room as a closed system so I don’t vent fresh air at all. Figured I’d just gas them the whole grow.:grin::green_heart:

1 Like