Cob curing - anyone do it?

Hi there
Shape is not that important. You need thickness to brick and ferment. Minimum 3,5cms thick. You can make it round or square. But you need thickness to ferment
As the old wise african man said, your cob should have the thickness of the penis of a big african man
And I agree with username, Master Tangwena is the adress for help
Also very important, this cure is for airy sativas. Indicas were made hash in the past, indicas were never made brick

12 Likes

It’s really about layering plant matter to create a solid area for healthy bacteria to form/colonize and breakdown the plant matter, thus beginning the process of organic decarboxylation. It’s somewhat similar to the composting process, except for buds.

This can be done with 10 grams or 100 grams. Your focus is creating optimum condition for the bacteria to thrive and decarboxylate the plant matter. It’s best to start with small amounts so that you don’t waste large amounts of ganja to mold during your learning stage.

Remember, the buds must be partially dry to properly begin the process. Wet buds will invite mold and failure. Patience and attention to detail are VITAL. Think of your self as a wine maker of sorts.

8 Likes

Greetings ReikoX,

Thanks for posting this discussion a while I back, and I would like to ask you a question about humidity and extending the initial Cook cycle (40c)
I am attempting a mixed batch of 5 strains as per the ICMag link posted onsite here…
When I was choosing the buds to be packaged-up, these were not fresh Moist off the hanging wire. The buds that I compressed and wrapped were into the 4th to 6th week of cure…

If there is no Liquid showing after 24hrs, should it run for longer?

2 Likes

Sorry, I’m really not very versed in the technique. I did it the one time. I would ask on the ICMag thread, it’s still quite active.

3 Likes

OK Thank You very much

2 Likes

What about wrapping a fresh leaf around the cured bud, that might provide enough moisture for the sweating process. Or add a few drops of distilled water.

3 Likes

I had given the thought of misting, a few seconds of time.
First-time through, I stuck to the basics…
Nice to hear that it won’t take much to satisfy the needs

2 Likes

Anyone still cob curing? I’m about to jump in with an oz of freshly chopped Highland Guerrero.

4 Likes

Hell yeah I joined the party a couple months ago :grin:

Highland Guerrero sounds like a great choice :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

Awesome @FieldEffect . Did you stick to 104f for 24hrs for the initial sweat? Or higher /longer?

2 Likes

I did 104F for 30 hours, not for any particular reason other than it was the most convenient interval for my schedule.

Loose trim and tight parchment turd…

~24 hours then into a heated towel like this for a week or so

Unpacked and individually sealed up for the long haul

17 Likes

Beautiful. Thanks man. Giving it a go.

10 Likes

Can’t wait to see how it goes!

I’m unwrapping my first one 4/20 at the 6-month mark :sunglasses:

7 Likes

This is an amazing thread! Some beautiful brick weed being made. Totally gonna do this next run.

3 Likes

What does It improve?Is It Better than storing in groove bags?

2 Likes

There are some supposed changes to effects and flavors.

I’ve only just started my experimentation with this for two reasons:

1. Long term storage (years)
  2. Flavor profile

There’s some nostalgic appeal to “brick weed” done right to me. I’m very curious how it turns out when I am inputting great quality material, and being meticulous with the process. I really didn’t mind brick weed back in high school, $40 ounces and I liked the effects. Just curious if this takes me back. Lots of what I do now is driven by my nostalgia of 20 years ago :cowboy_hat_face:

I do most of my storage in Grove bags, in a Coleman camp cooler with oxygen absorbers and humidity packs outside the Grove bags. Which also seems to work really nicely.

9 Likes

Minus the heat…this reminds me of a cannagar type process. Bud still moist, press into mold, seal, cure for a while…

5 Likes

That’s something I’m curious about. Lacking the high-temp stages but physically sounds similar. No reason you couldn’t do this in a cannagar mold and store your cobbed cannagars curing for years. Hmm :thinking:

8 Likes

That is a great idea @FieldEffect . Sweating the first cob until the morning. When I open that bag to dry from the initial sweat, do I also unwrap the cob from the paper or just allow the exterior of the paper to dry to the touch? Is this a quick dry with paper towel then vacuum seal again. I would imagine the lesser time not sealed is what we’re going for.

2 Likes

Depends if they are wet - mine weren’t. They went straight into ferment for a week. If they are wet, paper towel the parchment log dry and reseal, then ferment.

After a week of 80F unseal and dry again. I resealed mine for long-term dark storage at that point.

4 Likes