Cob curing - anyone do it?

How’s it taste, though??

@US3RNAM3 I think i saw someone use a food dehydrator, so I’ll try that first.
I’m growing lots of Sativas outdoors this summer and have Oaxaca, Mulanje, Mexican Death Sativa, Bangi Haze and a SuperSilverBangerHaze. How long did you let your flowers cure before cobbing them?

4 Likes

This batch was super tastey, the first cobb I made didn’t stick around cause I kept smoking it. Patience is key in the regard that the potency arrives 1mo+ into the aging/cool cure process. If you can imagine a fermented fruit, like papaya or guava. Like Tropical with a spice complement, way smoother than jar cure - according to Sensei Tangwena 6 months will bring the potential forward.

@PineTarBastard OK - just be mindful of the temps with dehydrator. I was looking at those as well, but price wise seemed to be cheaper to go with the yogurt maker in my case. I think the Mulanje will be a prime candidate as from what I’ve heard it’s similar to Malawi Gold in it’s ‘profound experience’ potential - so you may be in for a very special treat. By all means, experiment with them all, would love to hear about your experiences with the different cultivars cobbed. Presuming you meant dry, my filipinos were already water restricted and drying out on the vine so to speak so I tested producing this batch of cobbs that were chopped and then cobbed within 24 to ~ 56 hours. There should be a decent amount of moisture content left, where the stems bend but don’t snap - some people say you should cobb before you’re ready to jar. Sensei Tangwena says that the plant should still be moist (and alive).

There is probably a bandwidth that is acceptable, but I don’t have enough experience to speak on what that is definitively. Instrumental pictures posted in earlier part of the thread, reposted again for reference >>>

15 Likes

Hey so I just started my cobbing adventure myself. I used fresh off the vine flower and flower that was 24hrs hung. Im not sure if the fresh vine picked flower is going to turn out. I’ve gone through the sweat and am now 2 days into ferment. I do have a question, in the fermentation stage is it ok to have moisture outside of the cob? If not then all of my cobs are frigged

6 Likes

hey there @Smacgenetics welcome to the club! I would print out a copy of the above diagrams and refer to it like scripture!!

Based on what you’ve presented, you should probably remove it from the current vac - dry it and re-vac. Paying close attention to subsequent moisture build up, acting quickly to remove excess moisture (see: diagrams).

You may want to take some pictures and post them for Sensei Tangwena AKA El Primo Cobbmaster on the icmag thread that is still going and was mentioned earlier in the thread. Tang + others are fairly active and should get back to you pretty quickly on whether you are OK to keep going. The smell is usually a good indicator of whether the process is still salvageable, however I would run it by the El Primo.

7 Likes

Ill get pics up soon

Alrighty so I can only post one pic at a time.

10 Likes

10 Likes

Hi guys @US3RNAM3 and @Smacgenetics > Permission to ask @funkyhorse if he believes in Coincidence

This diagrans are gold > US3 > Download all

Here in Southeast Brazil > Top 5 cannabis market easy > Millions of consumers >
Less than a dollar gs
Monopoly of the Comandos > Paraguay is the only provider.Today no more “cob curing bricks” like the now rare and famous Bengala (if you toke u need a walking stick) . In a very smart move > in favor of smell and apperance … greenny , verdinho is better . And way faster and cheap > Very complex scenery > 700 tons busted last year > And the quality is now higher > no shortage > EVER > blablabla

I stop to invite old fellas for my strain reviews … Best scores come from my daughter and friends . The big old heads need high CBN content to get high . Bud your flowers are fantastic …herbe parfumée … weakée

Captions for free > Out of order mode > Some r

epeated

14 Likes

Thanks for making this thread here.

2 Likes

Looks like you’re coming along. What happened when you wicked away the moisture and recobbed/vac sealed? What temp do you have it on with the second stage? What kind of scents are you picking up from the cob?

3 Likes

Welcome to the thread! Thank you for the Brazilian perspective!! Where was the Bengala from geographically, what kind of flavors/phenos did you find with that one?

I will definitely check out your reviews, very curious about landrace strains of yesteryear - especially those that may have made it through to present day. Love the screen shots, the loud whisperer/* - great caption :grin:
edit: *loud whisper jajaja time to recharge the battery

2 Likes

I dried off bag and cob, revealed then put back on dehydrator at 90 but put cobs on upper racks to keep it closer to the 80 degree. I have one or 2 more that ill need to dry off again but the others seem to be ok. The smell is funky sweet so I dont think anything is rotting. Ill take more pictures today. I’d really like for at least one of these bad mamajammas turns out lol

6 Likes

11 Likes

Thanks for the update, lookin good! How long do you intend to go at the ~80F degree temp?

She looks fairly dark, how hot did you go on the initial hot sweat?

PR = Panama Red? Punto Rojo?

3 Likes

I could only set the dehydrator down to 90 but put the cobs up on the top rack to get it away from the heat source. Cutltivars are white truffle, potato runtz, fudgesicle and apples and bananas.

5 Likes

OK - so you’ve started the ferment at the same temp you’ve got it going at now?

Big ups on using what you can to make it happen.

macgyver-approved-macgyver

I have also been utilizing what’s available to get 'r done! My secondary sweat (77-86F) is achieved by laying several towels on top of the vacced cobbs and then placing the internet modem on top of them. It gets tricky with the ambient temp impacting the environment, but I have a thermometer siting where the cobbs are and adjust accordingly to try to hover around 80F - that way if it starts to move in any one direction - it’s easier to catch it/adjust before it moves outside of the ideal temp window.

I’m very curious what sort of transformation those cultivars will go through, both in flavor and effect. Presuming you’ve had them with the traditional cure before or will have some from this harvest?

3 Likes

Oh yes I’ve definitely had these cultivars in the traditional dried flower.
So I sweat the cobs for the 7 days on the lower racks of the dehydrator on the lowest setting (90°) didn’t get an accurate reading on the temp the cobs were at though.
Then I dried any moisture in the bags which was all of them (used same day fresh flower and 1 day hang) and re-vac all cobs, then placed on the upper racks of the dehydrator. Fyi dates i started the cobs was 10/15 and 10/16.
Side question. So I’ve been opening the cobs once a week to dry bags and cobs, I noticed a shiney crystaly deal going on. Picture included

11 Likes

I’m out of my depth at this point to provide you input on what you’re seeing…at this point I would say check with Tangwena on the icmag thread, he’s the one that I learned from as I’m only just a novice.

Not sure if your initial sweat was hot enough as the diagram states you need to hit a minimum of 104F on the initial sweat (Typically 12-48 hours). Is that why you went for 7 days on the initial sweat, since it was at ~90F? You may have kept it sealed too long on the initial sweat.

I don’t want to preclude any possibilities, I think getting advice from Master Tangwena is worth more than any input I could provide.

4 Likes

@RoryBorealis & @fellow cobbers if anybody with more experience is able to chime in, please by all means

3 Likes