Cola’s starting from scratch garden

Cobs have arrived. And holders.

Spade ends male and female should arrive tomorrow so I can actually start something. Will be cutting 20 short lengths of 1mm swg cable (think that’s about 18awg) tinning one end and soldering a female spade connector to the other. Any connecting wires in the series can then be cut to length and disconnected as and when should a single cob/heatsink fan etc need replacing or transport is necessary.

The female spade cables will be soldered on the cobs solder pads and held in place with the holders. Need the heatsinks to arrive now for real playtime. New set of hss drill bits to use and cleaned off my tap and die set with phosphoric acid and oiled ready to mount the cobs to heatsinks.

I’ll post a few pics tomorrow evening when I solder my ermm solderless connections. (they would be classed as solderless if they were sold afterwards I guess).

Anyway I’m waffling shit now and my lads having a nap so gonna smoke a cheeky dawg doob

Cola

3 Likes

Will you attach the cobs to heatsinks before soldering onto the pads?

1 Like

I won’t be doing no mate. The heat sinks play havoc when trying to get your solder to set. (Learned that last time and killed a chip in the process. Luckily it was a 9 cob design and I ordered 10) I don’t have that privilege this time lol.

I’ll be soldering the spades to the pads first. Measuring. Drilling and tapping every Heastink and mount. Mount all the sinks. Flip the frame upside down and fix the cobs in position

Hope that makes sense

5 Likes

Pictures are worth 1000 words.

99%

1 Like

Care packages arrived @ReikoX thankyou brother. Very nicely packaged too. I’ll get pics when I get back to my OG phone

2 Likes

Woohoo! I was afraid I muffed the address on the customs form. That was pretty darn fast for across the pond! Let me know if you need more detail on them. The C99 might have something nice in it. The THUNK will likely be a long flower time. Of course the autos are fast, but lower yielding.

:thumbsup: :seedling:

3 Likes

No it was spot on mate thankyou. I look forward to growing them out. And it was really fast shipping. Wish fedex would take a leaf out of whoever this carrier was and bring my hlg320 :pensive:

2 Likes

Spade connectors have arrived. I’m using cable from an old 10a extension cable. will be making my own coding method to connect them too that will be fool proof. (I hope).

That’s going to be my evening tonight and not gonna pretend I’m not excited :joy:

5 Likes

10 negative cables 200mm length
10 positive cables 200mm length

Stripped around 10mm from the end of each cable and twisted ready to tin when it’s safe to get the soldering iron out.

Will be using small amounts of shrink tube secure the females as there’s no way to solder inside them. (will also be doing on the male cables but won’t be making them until the heatsinks are mounted and they can be soldered once pushed through as they are likely to take the most strain)

Brown and blue wires will be sheathed in cable sleeves. Can’t decide whether I should add a splash of colour and make them a feature or go straight black sleeves.

2 Likes

Negative cables are done

3 Likes

400x300x200 ip65 enclosure to house all 3 drivers and the sonoff relay outside the tent. Basically a “light brain”

Got a name for my project here too. Forming real emotional attachments ha.

Cathaire na gréine we shall call her.

Irish for city of the sun

2 Likes

Positive cable is exactly the same apart from the red collar has some slightly bigger shrink-tube to make it black. That’s my wire coding sorted.

If they’re being cable sleeved it makes life a bit easier when connecting the cobs.

5 Likes

Only gotta do that another 18times :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I’ve done them now mate lol. Need my heatsinks to come to do any real work on it but these are all nice touches which I would probably overlook if I was rushing

3 Likes

Fan and filter ordered. More rope ratchets and another ammeter. And more cobs and heatsinks ordered. (Not for this build) just to make a straight 2700k bloom boost bar which I’ll probably sell on once done.

1 Like

Run your light cycle at night, the lights will help heat the area.

2 Likes

I appreciate what you’re saying but I live about 2 miles away from a knobhead uninsured driver hotspot so regularly have a police chopper over our heads. The way I see it they have little reason to use thermal imaging in the daytime chasing a car. At night they may pick up heat signals.

I’d rather grow paranoid than lose my shit

2 Likes

Little driver arrived for the fan speed controller/fans.

Already mounted the strip driver and sonoff in an ip65 enclosure. (the light brain).

Going to mount the fan driver later when I get a minute.

@Gaz29 and @ReikoX not being rude with slow replies it’s a crazy busy day.

2 Likes

Sounds like parts are arriving just in time to keep you busy. :thumbsup: :seedling:

1 Like

Some. Just not the important ones bro :pensive:

1 Like