Cola’s starting from scratch garden

Don’t tell me what to do bro :joy:

1 Like

Well, It’s not like the post runs on the weekend, so DON’T go respond to all your tags and threads you’re following. :wink:

1 Like

Currently sat in my mates kitchen listening to my mrs and my mates wife talking about aqua fit. Don’t expect sense. I usually come on here high af and sound like a speshil anyway.

At least you know I’m semi smart bro ha

2 Likes

If your tight on cash just go to a computer recycle center and ask them for some old pc CPU heatsinks. The factory intel core 2 and up heatsinks are perfect and are designed to dissipate over 100w of heat so they work perfect and can be gotten very cheap.

9 Likes

That reference pic doesn’t look like it would have much mounting space. I’ve actually ended up paying £94 for 10 arctic heatsinks. Reliability swung it for me. But on a budget look on eBay for am3 cpu heatsink cooler blah blah. Can pick them up for under £4 large mounting space etc

This is what I ended up going for. Was going to be arctic 11 pro cpu heatsinks but amazon is shit so let’s see how eBay does then eh

it’s perfect if you mount with heatsink adhesive compound the edges of the Cobs square will overlap but the actual round portion of the cob fits inside of the copper circles diameter, which is where the heat is coming from.

2 Likes

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152834039064

Take a look mate. Spent a fair while looking. As far as a bargain goes with matching multiples available and decent mounting space. It’s the best I found

2 Likes

Heres a pic of them mounted with 100w cree and I got them for $2 a piece. Pic is of 1 factory heatsink and one factory like cooler master.3070

5 Likes

I can’t argue with that mate. Unfortunately this stuff at those prices is a rarity in the U.K. I’m not comfortable mounting a cob without pressure either for heat dissipation peace of mind kinda thing. I know its not a necessity but my head works funny ways ha

1 Like

What are you driving them at and what are you using to drive your fans?

Here’s my light controller so far

Hlg320h for 10x cluo38s 5 x 3500k 5x 3000k.

Hlg 150h 4 x solstrips 5000k

Sonoff relay = WiFi controlled variable spectrum grow light

@pookie123 I do like the low cost recycle COB idea but the noise from all the fans would probably rule it out for me even if i could find enough of em. It’s a shame but there is already 2 extraction fans and 4 circulation fans running already between the 2 tents so i don’t want to add any more.

1 Like

The fans are not bad and you can run them at a lower current than normal to make them almost silent…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeh i can certainly see the attraction. Wonder if you can come up with a reliable but cheap driver solution too, plenty would be interested in that but the cheap ones i have seen so far i would not trust in my home. Anyway it’s one for another day, i’m off to bed now. A

1 Like

Yes I have done that also, Same thing PC recycle get power supply for old pc printers they are 36v and anywhere from 1000ma to 2500ma also very cheap from recycler

1 Like

here’s one it is a 32v but will work with a 36v cob as you are likely to run your 100w cob for example at around 40-50 watts for efficiency. I use these and have used them in my LED setup with no issues. I am a cheap ass and have built about a 700w setup for a total of around $150

4 Likes

I’m a perfectionist so everything costs like 5x as much and usually mainly for aesthetics. I’m about £700 in to my build. (Many unnecessary bits but it’s what I want) even using aluminium extrusion for the frame. About 6x more expensive than straight aluminium but gives a lot of wiggle room. Considering I have no drawn plans I need a fair bit. Although I do check the dimensions of every item I use in my builds

1 Like

110x56cm. You can see the cob spacing. 5000k solstrips in the middle in a linear fashion as a veg light needs less coverage. Can switch on and off via my phone. Set timer schedules on whichever spectrum I like. I still have to dim via the driver but it’s a step towards what I’m aiming for

6 Likes

To each his own. I like DIY and like to come up with ways to build something that is still effective but as cheap as possible, but part of that is because I can’t afford to spend $1000+ on a light setup, not to mention I would feel like I got ripped off. My LED light setup uses Cree and Luxeon Rebel LED’s so i’m still using good quality LED’s, But found really good deals on all of them such as Cree cxa 3050 100w cobs for $2 a piece for 10 of them then the Luxeon Rebel royal blue 45w cobs for $4 each for 10 then the most expensive were Cree XTE chips on board 100w for $13 each for 5 of them and I run them all at half power so that equals 950 watts running them at 50% power for efficiency so I have plenty of power and good efficiency, not quite as good as say samsung LM561C’s but not too bad.
I feel good being able to have 950w of quality LED power for so little cost! :smile:

6 Likes

Cost isn’t an issue on this build really. It’s more a case of building it to suit me. Let me try and run you the specs as they stand.

10 x citizen cluo38 1206 running on the hlg320h c700a. Which will push approx 252 Watts minus driver loss.

And 4 x solstix x1 5000k driven at 1400ma approx 120w giving me 370w ish in a 2x4x5 tent

Both aspects are dimmable and can run separately.

Using sonoff th10s to control a 2ft tube heater and a humidifier.

Means I can view the temps and stuff on my phone from my phone. If it’s a hot day. Just run one section.

Really wanna tame a c99 using the 5000k. If my light can do that I’ll be happy

5 Likes